What Kind of Gamer are You?

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Fingorfin, May 30, 2002.

?

What Kind of Gamer are You?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
Always GM 1 vote(s) 2.7%
Always Player 5 vote(s) 13.5%
Player that GMs 6 vote(s) 16.2%
GM that plays 11 vote(s) 29.7%
I swing both ways 14 vote(s) 37.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
  2. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Some people are always a GM or always a player, but most have done both. If you do both, do you find that you still keep the mindset of a player when you GM or the mindset of a GM while you are running a PC? Or can you separate the two, thinking as a character while playing and as a GM when controlling the universe?
    I have discovered that even when I play in someone else's game, I still think like a GM.

Just wondering if I was the only one that did this.
  3. BoB Moderator Emeritus

star 4
    I tend to seperate them fairly well, but I think that is becasue I view them as seperate philosophies of playing. When a character I see it as your job as to trying to develop a good character, tell that characters story. GM's job to give an overall plot and add in the conflicts for the characters to interact in.

That reminds me I have to actually start figuring out what I'm going to do for my upcoming game.
  4. Otto Jedi Knight

star 1
    Since I don't GM often, I don't have a seperation problem.

Bob,

When are we going to do that superheros thing?
  5. Ping Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, BoB, my friend needs some feedback on her rules. ;)

I think it's very true that playing and GMing are two very different things. I do each one for different reasons. I love getting into the head of a particular character and of being able to do things I can't/won't IRL. As a GM, I enjoy creating a setting, interesting NPCs, and then watching what the players do with what they're given.
  6. TallienGolle Jedi Padawan

I got started in gaming doing one on one's with a friend. I was the player, he was the GM. after awhile, it was my turn to run one... my turn to be in the driver's seat, he told me. After that, i didn't play in games again until college; so, for those 7 years I was purely a GM. But then, it was a small town and no one else there was interested in that sort of thing. (uugh, bible-belt small-towns are like that.) I took the chance at playing again and felt if it was my 'time off' from running things all the time. It was great! I love weaving the stories... but sometimes I feel most of the impact from the stories goes over the player's heads and I'm the only one geeting the deeper symbolism I put into the games. But, as I play, I feel my character's story unfold around me, and as the GM guides the actions of the party, it feels good to not have the strain the GM's are so privy to having. Then again, when you have others in the party that just want to trash a storyline... want nothing more than to cause trouble, I can't help but feel from the GM's POV... That it's not fun to spend the game with that player ruining all the hard work. But at the same time (if the player REALLY does have some goal from it and it's not just a bunch of poodoo they're doing for no good reason) I can see the player's POV, their motivation for wanting to further their goals.
    So, yeah, in short... I swing both ways. :D
  7. Tremaniac Jedi Knight

star 3
    Always the GM. Even when playing. I've played for a GM who completely trashed the SW setting, and tried for a few sessions to right things, but in the end it seemed futile to change things, so I stopped playing. Other times when I play the GM is veteran GM who also plays in my game when I do GM. As a result, there is a chemistry that allows me to incorporate certain ideas into the game when needed. I allow the same when he plays.
  8. Sian Jedi Knight

star 1
    I swing both ways. I am a GM, but I let omnipotent Jedi Masters be a part of the action. I roleplay all NPCs, don't you all? Sometimes, you gotta take these NPCs for a walk you know.
  9. Crimson_Jedi_Knight Jedi Master

star 4
    I normally think like a GM when I'm playing. I guess it's cause I normally GM.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.