main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI What kind of music do u like?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darthfunkasourous, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthfunkasourous

Darthfunkasourous Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    ME......

Red hot chili peppers
    funkadelic
    public enemy
    fishbone
    hendrix

u?

2. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    I like a good mix of music. My only dislikes are: metal, rap & elevator music. :cool:

3. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
    Oh whats wrong with rap?public enemy is probably the best rap band ever.What else do i like.....

Ween
    primus
    pavement
    king crimson
    sebadoh
    Tortoise
    Bad brains
    fugazi
    beastie boys

4. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    I like just about everything with the exception of:

-certain rap songs but not all (only the ones that are racist, heavily sexual overtoned or every other word is cuss)

-most country music makes my nose bleed

-boy bands or britney make me angrier than any heavy metal/grundge music which is supposed to make some kind of anger swell(that's why I like heavy metal/grundge)

5. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Okay, I should've been specific.

I like the old school rap...but the gangsta and hard core rap...no appeal to me.

6. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Country and the Hair bands from the 80's.

7. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I'm a bigger music geek than I am a SW geek.I like almost anything.I don't have a problem with rap,just some of the garbage that record companies try to pass off as rap.I like a lot of the old school punk too,and there are lots of similarities between punk and rap,everything from the ideology to the DIY philosophy,down to the way they both got mangled by record companies.

I can listen to some country,I like some of the old school country,but a lot of the newer stuff tries too hard to be pop,and it just doesn't work.

The whole rap-metal thing really irritates me.All of those bands sound just alike and they all sound horrible,Limp Bizkit in particular.It would be okay if they were at least a good rap band or at least a good metal band,but they're not either.IMO,there's no difference between the boy bands and the rap-metal bands,they represent the same thing.

p.s.Whoever said Fugazi...Amen!

8. Darthfunkasourous

Mar 6, 2002
  9. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Pop-punk is my favorite, like Blink 182...but I like just about anything.

10. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    What FearAndBullets said says it all for me, too!

11. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    What F&B said pretty much nails it for me.

12. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I'm with F&B and Midnightguard, but I won't go out of my way to listen to rap. I'll do so willingly if someone is playing one of the humorous songs.

I don't limit myself to the 'heavy metal' potion of the rock genre any more than I do to Star Wars in the sci-fi genre. That is to say that I also enjoy grunge/80's hair/metal-rap, etc.

I enjoy blues and/or jazz but I don't go out of my way to find it on the radio. Listening to the Star Wars soundtrack repeatedly as a youth + some piano lessons has given me an appreciation for classical music also. I have a tiny collection there.

13. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    To add to my previous post...

I lean more towards industrial, punk, goth and techno (I also love classical).

I've been hooked on "System of the Down" most recently (great CD)

14. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Hey, F&B, I just thought of something. If 'that' is why you like heavy metal/grundge, then by that reasoning you must also like the boy bands, since it has the same effect.

Although you would probably hate yourself for liking it. What a psychological dilemma!

:p

15. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    ...if i didn't know better, them be fightin words....

no no no, heavy metal/grundge is a welcomed anger swell, I listen to it to match the way I want to feel -this helps when i'm doing my artwork, especially anger/dark driven themes. Boy bands and such are like a certain type of red paint, you see it, you hate it, your not sure why -well maybe you do, but it's still annoying, it makes you angry and you want to break things -and all it is just a color....but that's just paint, not some idiotic, mid twenty something, hokey, lipsinking, uneducated, glitter wearing, dancing pansies that worship themselves and are adored by millions of pubescent girls. And that's not even the worse part about it, the tune might be playing in the background at your favorite store, or be heard for just an inkling while flipping through stations on your tv or radio-and for some sick reason- it manages to embed itself into your head like a blood-thirsty tick, for hours maybe even a day and nothing, but nothing will make it go away.... NOW that is just plain maddening. ARRRGGGHHH...you see that whole discussion about boybands made me angry. I had better listen to some Metallica or something...

16. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Heh,this goes along with a theory I have that music chooses you,you don't really choose it.We think we do,but we don't.It's like being attracted to a person,why are we attracted to one person over another?It's not just because we have things in common with that person.We share common interests with many people,but we're not attracted to all of them.

Of course,there's the whole other argument that some people will just accept anything that's fed to them by the powers that be,which is probably what happens in a lot of cases with fans of the whole boy band thing,but in its purest sense,I don't think we really have a choice about what music we like.

17. Jedi_Knight_Fisto

Jedi_Knight_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    My favorite kind of music is Rap. My favorite rapper is eminem.

But my all time favorite group would have to be the beatles. I like them above all else. And I got to go see Paul Mcartny last night so now I can die a happy man. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.