main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC what kind of music does wocky like? the facts afawk

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes I'm not sure why one self-hating Jew is generally regarded as ok by people (Marx) but another (Wagner) is frowned upon. Mostly because so-called intellectuals or progressives are ignorant beyond all measure and only pretend at being erudite so that their personal branding may be enhanced among their peers.

If, for example, there was less desire to conform to pre-set views among the intellectuals then segregating the music from his anti-Semitism - which, let's not forget, was en vogue in Europe at this time and only really mad old Nietzsche was above it - would be easily done. People of demonstrable and formidable intellect have done this...

But of course, people don't really read Marx so they have no idea about his thoughts on Jews; and they merely assume that because Hitler was a fan of this Germanic music that it must be inherently fascistic. I suppose one could argue the Ring cycle glorifies Nordic mythology, but... that was the point.

I've not read the Wagner essay on the question of Jewishness in Music. It doesn't come up in the music. But it's also a ridiculously stupid, contemptuously stupid, position to take that one shan't listen to Wagner because bad people did in the past. Had John Williams held that view, the Star Wars score would be incredibly different and it's hard to conclude a better score existed for it right?

You're arguing like Wocky, which means the AI has infected you too. Next you'll change your icon to Bill Cosby.

2. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    QFP, don't bother editing it fifteen times as I'll only be responding to this version.

Because rumors of Wagner's Jewishness have been greatly exaggerated? The idea that Wagner was Jewish is apocryphal at best, there's certainly not strong enough evidence for you to casually refer to him as a "self-hating Jew" offhand without addressing it further. Also, the charge that Marx is "generally regarded as ok" and Wagner is "frowned upon" is kind of silly. There are certainly plenty of people who detest Marx and many who admire Wagner. If you have a direct accusation to make to me then make it, don't deal in silly generalizations.

I made one offhand joke, in response to your charge that Tristan and Isolde should evoke emotion in me, about how listening to it evoked the emotion of antisemitism and now you're building strawmen about the position that people shouldn't listen to Wagner? No one said that, Ender. You're better than this, really. Also for someone who seems to delight in making jokes insulting other peoples' taste and always, always invoking the absolute worst you can in whatever culture you feel like dragging at the moment, you sure can't seem to take it without throwing a hissy fit when someone does it back to you.

tom likes this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    ender and i have long accepted our similarities with each other and developed an uneasy posting camaraderie. it was easily in the top ten most significant developments in the history of jcc posting politics. where have you been?

4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

ima be honest with you... i didnt actually read past the headline of the article because i didnt care. still havent because i still dont

5. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    idk man, I must have missed it because I only read the thread in which it happened while you were posting in it and not ten minutes later.

Rogue_Ten and tom like this.
  6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    whooooaaaa so this thread is focused on wocky music facts but i think we can use it for compiling known wocky knowns and known wocky unknowns in the broader sense as well.

today, a bombshell as wocky posted the following in the elections thread:

now, in a less precise poster we could chalk this up to a typo - maybe he missed the "t" on the keyboard? but given wocky's history of grammatical precision, i think it is much more significant slip. i submit to you that we now know the state in which wocky resides, gentlepersons

8. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    No, he's in [censored, but why would I be asked to edit it if it weren't true? why indeed?]

Also, grammatical precision? Which wocky are you talking about? The one I pioneered the cascading quote typo shaming schtick for?

Luigi, tom, harpua and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    LAST YOU KNEW

people move. cmon dani, get your head in the game

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I like this thread for Nekhbet single-handedly destroying a whole cadre of posters. She is like Zhang Fei on the banks of the Han River at Changban. She is relentless.

Rogue1-and-a-half, Luigi and tom like this.
  11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    imagining her as a endomorphic chinese with a whiskery beard now

im the horse

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  12. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    I'm personally googling Zhang Fei to figure out if this is a compliment or not.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

the video has everything you need to know. well, that and you have the loyalty of a dog and the ferocity of a tiger. your very roar has been known to turn back whole armies

EDIT: i edited, sorry

tom and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Have I ever proclaimed you, and it was not a glorious title?

15. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    you named her after a vulture goddess, dude

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    That is the most glorious name of all, Rogue Number Ten.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i am slightly insulted that youve never given me a more inventive moniker than just expanding my actual UID

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Why do you think I'm just keeping my mouth shut?

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

this was the best post itt

EDIT: that and the one where she called me out on my edit function abuse

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Don't complain, I only got an "of" placed in my name.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  21. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Because you are a coward.