main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What kind of role do you think our recently reactivated general will take? (SbS spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wampa, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    At the battle of Coruscant, Lando was reactivated. He served as a commander of special ops. Now he's confirmed to be in Rebel Dream. Do you think he will reject his generalship again after the retreat?

If he plays general for awhile, do you think we'll see more of the General Lando from the SW Tales story? Do you think any of his other friends will also return to the military?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    In a pretty much unrelated comment, you'll recall that Lando had commandos on Cloud City far before the Tales story took place.

3. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Did he? That tale takes place a mere 4 years after the Battle of Endor...I'm trying to remember where else he had commandos...

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    The actual events aren't in a story, I don't think, but in the Thrawn Trilogy they note that Baron-Administrator Calrissian had a team of commandos working for him. I forget what the context was, exactly, but it defintiely says it.

5. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Well I'm not sure, but I know that when flying the Lady Luck away from Orbital Defence Platform he said that he thought of his 'reactivation' as beginning and ending ON the platform. So seeing as he is no longer reactivated, I think he will probably just be a private citizen again, albeit with a pretty decent role in the conflict as head of an arms company and friend of the central characters...

...and silky smooth ladies man...

6. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    With Lando being reinstated as a General, will it be too long before Han has no choice but to accept a reactivation of his General's commission? It seems they could use every decent officer they can get, including those who are retired. We've already seen Wedge reactivated, along with Garm bel Iblis and Carlist Rieekan. Corran accepted a reactivation as well, though he has had less to do with the military than the others have. Now Lando. To have Han and Ackbar reactivated would be fairly intresting. And it would prove a real coup de grace if they could get Luke to accept a reactivation of his commission, especially if they managed to get him to accept his General's commission again. But he would probably be like Corran.

7. Wes

Wes Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2000
    Ackbar was mentioned as leading a fleet from Mon Calamari to come and help Coruscant, but it didn't arrive in time.

But it was the first time Mon Calamari has been mentioned since it was cut off early in the NJO series, it is good to know it still holds out and is building those beautiful ships.

8. VeGeX

VeGeX Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2001
    Yeh, Ackbar is leading Mon Cal resistance

It is good to see all the old-school military leaders return... they have experience with the Vong and the Empire, it should be interesting to see what NJO writers come up with after Star by Star

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Mastadge, on your comment concerning Lando's commando's (what a poor pun), In the X-Wing series it also states this fact.

Rhysati [sic] comments on Wedge picking people with good intrusion skills as well for Rouge Squadron as an idea with merit, as back on Bespin he had a team of Commando's built in a similar mold and the idea worked brilliantly.

And back on topic, I also felt that it was inferred that Lando's reactivation was very much a temporary thing.

And it was said that there was a 'rumour' of Ackbar coming from Mon Calamari with a fleet, but nothing more. I think it was used to reinforce that it is the NEW generation of hero's who will lead the eventual triumph in the NEW Jedi Order series. Ackbar, Wedge, Han, Lando, Luke and Leia will all be there probably, but they will take more and more of a back seat as Jacen, Jaina and co. send the Vong packing.

10. Wes

Wes Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2000
    I haven't really gelled with the "new" heroes. I don't care for them like I care for the original characters, Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Wedge and Ackbar.

If they die, they die but if any of the originals die I don't like it.

Though NJO is the first experience I have had with the "new" heroes. I never read the Corellian saga or the Young Jedi Knights.

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Mastadge, on your comment concerning Lando's commando's (what a poor pun), In the X-Wing series it also states this fact.

Rhysati [sic] comments on Wedge picking people with good intrusion skills as well for Rouge Squadron as an idea with merit, as back on Bespin he had a team of Commando's built in a similar mold and the idea worked brilliantly.

Ah, then it was there, not Thrawn. I just read the X-wings and the Thrawn books, so specifics are beginning to flow.

12. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    A couple additions to the reactivated list: Wedge, Tycho

I think Han will be reactivated, but only play a minor role. I think Lando will be in charge of procurement, and buy up his YVH units.

13. Jainas_Lover

Jainas_Lover Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2001
    Lando said it himself. In star by star his reactivaiton ended. He'll just go back to selling those hot droids of his and probobly come up with other cool stuff to fight the Vong....
    I don't think we'll see Han reactivated. I mean, really, with all the talk about their former generalships and stuff, how much did WE REALLy see them being a general? Not much...

14. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I just had a though which could possibly affect the answer to your question, wampa.

The New Republic has fallen to peices. We saw in SBS that not only has the senate become SEVERELY factional and internally hostile, but also the Military- the different fleet groups at the Battle of Coruscant not following orders and doing their own thing a la Garm Bel Iblis.

I think that, with the NR in this state of complete disarray, and the Senators, executive and administrative componants of the NR government returning to their home systems, there IS no NR any more, and the Fleet as we know it will go off and fight the war on their own as best they think it should be fought (again, a la Bel Iblis prior to the Thrawn Trilogy).

In such an environment, i think it far more likely that Lando and Han and all the old heroes that haven't been extenisively officially militarily (thats a mouth full aint it?) involved in the war will get involved.

Why?

i) because they may agree with a single fleet commander's ideas, but not the NR's and that held them back

ii) the fleet may have wanted them back, but the govt. didn't for whatever reason.

iii)sections of both the fleet and govt may have wanted them back, but due to the factional nature of both, no decisions on the matter could be passed in their favour.

Any thoughts?

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Ok, getting close to finishing SbS now (read the first 48 already). Last night I posted mentioning Han potentially recieving his commission in an up coming book and possibly seeing Ackbar return. As folks have already said, Ackbar is leading Mon Cal forces from Mon Calamari to Coruscant. But right now it doesn't appear they'll make it. But it was the fact that Fey'lya called Han General Solo, and hinted that he might want to keep his schedule open for the next few years was something that got me. I know Han has not yet been reactivated, but he could end up being so before the end of the Vong war. It won't be Fey'lya who does it, but it may happen.

As for Lando's reactivation, it doesn't yet seem official. He was reactivated by a General (if recent memory serves, the Bothan was a General) during a combat situation. A desperate situation to be certain, and a situation where his skills as a combat leader would come in handy. But that General has to answer to someone else. It seems that Lando's reactivation will become official, but it will be the top brass (whoever is left of the NR top military brass at least) who will do that. With the government in shambles, it will have to be upper echlon military leaders who make these reactivations official.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.