main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What kind of sport are you doing when...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Skiara , Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    In Germany the cold times begins (finally) and I get the same problem as every year. I enjoy running and horse back riding, but both are not so much fun when it is really cold outside. So I always think about other sport that I can do, but all that come to my mind is swimming (which is similar to diving training, which I also do) and going to a fitness studio, but I'm not the person who likes to train her muscles at a machine/unit/apparatus (word?).

So do you have any idea for alternative sports, when it is too cold outside to go running?

And is it just me, who switches her sportivities because of the weather? How about you? Do you still do sports outside when it is raining or it is cold or it is hot? Normally I only cancel or change my activities when it is extremely hot/cold/rainy. If it is just a bit warmer, colder, rainier, I still go out running for example.

If you switch your sport if the weather changes, what weather do you avoid? To which sport do you switch?

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Skiara - You don't have to stop riding just because of the cold! My favorite thing to do is go galloping through the snow on horseback. There are low temps that you shouldn't ride at, so I guess I don't know how cold it gets where you are. I know it gets cold enough in my home state where we can't ride, but we always go hang out with the horses anyways, brushing them and stuff. That's not really a "sports activity". I would suggest aerobic activity inside, kickboxing is fun. Sledding isn't a sport, but you definitely gain muscles trudging up the hills that are full of snow. Of course you need snow for that...and hills too. Cross-country skiing is a good workout also.

3. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Of course I don't have to stopp horse riding, but it is less fun and you get cold afterwards very fast. Of course that doesn't stopp me from riding - I love it too much - but I reduce it a bit in the winter times if possible.

About riding in the snow or even galopping... that's a problem here, because if there's snow there's always the danger that it is very slippery because of the ice under the snow. Plus horses wear normally horseshoes, so it's extra dangerous. :(
    Otherwise I would love to try it! :)

But you brought back an idea: Thai-Bo (spell?)
    I have to look for a place for that. :)

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I think it Taebo...although I'm not sure on the spelling either! That is a good workout also.

**hold please there is a fire alarm going ****

**15 min later returns**

See I have a pony, who doesn't wear shoes and is incredibly sure-footed so I don't tend to worry about running through the snow.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Racquetball! :D

6. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    During the winters here in Finland when I can't play golf, I usually play a sort of indoor floor hockey, called salibandy. It's not that known at all outside of Finland and Sweden. Kinda like how futsal is to soccer, well that's what salibandy is to ice hockey. It's probably the most popular indoor sport in finland, more so than basketball or volleyball easily.

7. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

QFT but it's amazing all year round:D

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    You're really lucky with your pony, Horsey! :)

I have completely forgotten about racquetball. It is sad that it is an exhausting and partially dangerous sport. And you need a partner for this... which will be the problem I guess. ;)
    But I have to keep it in my mind. :)

I haven't heard about Salibandy yet, so I don't think it is possible to do it here. ;)
    But... What's the difference to indoor-hockey?

More ideas? :D

9. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    Of course you haven't heard about it. :p Well you use a ball about the same size as a tennis ball, except it's plastic and has lots of holes in it. Guess that makes it more aerodynamic or something. But from there on it's the same rules as ice hockey for the most part except of course for the running and less equipment. But there's A LOT of running involved in it, especially if you play in a real big gym.

10. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    For me it sounds much like indoor-hockey. It's the same as normal field-hockey beside of the fact that it is "indoor" and the field is a bit smaller. :confused:

11. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    :confused: Hmm, maybe it's played in germany as well after all. :p I've always felt that it's very much a Finnish-Swedish-only sport. Almost every year when they have the world champ's, finland and sweden are in the final, with sweden win 90% of the time. :mad:

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    The official name in English is floorball, I'm sure it has a name in German as well, since Switzerland is pretty good in it as well.

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I've never heard about floorball. It gets translated as "Unihockey", but I don't know that word either (or better for me there are two different meanings).

Durron, I played indoor-hockey for about half a year and there were two people who were really excellent. Later I learned that they are playing in a really high level - participating at national competitions IIRC. So there must be some more people playing that game. ;)

14. DurronFan

Jul 25, 2005
    Floorball is also played during the summers, with many finnish blocks having small yards inside them, kids go and play floorball for hours. I was never skilled but i had endurance and speed so I compensated my lack of technical ability with those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.