main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What kind of TCW fan are YOU?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fistofan55, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I'm a few years older than the SW saga and have seen all six films in the theater when they first came out if that gives you an idea of my age.

What do you think TCW should have more of?
    Hmmm...I'm wary of leading questions, but I think it could have less of the politics in Season 3. I think Seasons 1 & 2 struck the right balance of action/politics.

What was your wish for this show before it began?
    I can't say I had any wishes for the show before it began. I recall hearing about the TCW movie and being mildly interested in seeing it, but then writing it off after hearing about all the bad reviews (without watching it myself!). I didn't even know about the Clone Wars series on CN until I saw the Season 1 DVD at my local Blockbuster. After putting off renting the DVD multiple times, I figured I'd give it a try as the most I could lose was a few hours of my time. I was immediately hooked and have devoured nearly everything Clone Wars since....including the movie which is much, much better than all those critics gave it credit for.

I think that the Clone Wars should have more of a prequel series feel to it given the characters involved and the technological advancements between OT and PT. The PT also balanced action/politics very well with perhaps the exception of TPM being a bit heavy on politics.

2. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    What Site is this? Sounds Intrigueing.

From what I have read, it appears that most people on these boards(TV) are in their teens and twenties. Few are old-time fans. :D
    As far as particular interests go, many on here want more Anakin and Obi-wan. Especially more Ana/Obi interaction.
    What seems to be in common here is that most people don't want anymore poltitical episodes for a while. Others don't care.

That is the fans speaking. Thank YOU for the information. IF YOU hadn't replied, please do!

3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    So true.

I'm of the mind that The Hunt for Zero was a briliant episode as was Landing at Point Rain so if I had to ask for more of something on TCW it's this. Faster and more intense and more jokes. Not visual gags but developed characters that are funny. Dialogue that's funny. And yeah, lose Padme for a season or so.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    It's the actionfigurenews one in my sig. It's not a dedicated Star Wars site so one gets all kinds of takes from folks that aren't the most hard core fans. I also try to play nicer there than I do here:p - sort of.

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

As with what was already posted, I usually watch the shows drunk. It's the best way. I'd prefer less kiddiness and more of a balance in the episodes with the senate/war bits. Also I love the bad guys on the show more than the good guys, and the episodes that focus on them are IMO stronger.

6. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007

I never saw A New Hope until a few years ago, but I did get to see the other Star Wars OT movies (probably as VHS or Tv showing) when they were only a few years old.

But I must say that so far I do like TCW, though I wish it would have more gripping and serious plots. A lot of the bad guys seem to have deep potential, and I wish Lucas would exploit this. It would give them a serious edge, and the heroes a credible foe. I also wish Lucas wouldn't pander just to the kiddie base, as aiming some stuff towards grown ups would allow character growth that gives the show it's depth. (It also gives a show a longer 'shelf life,' as people will still be interested in it years later, rather then it being left in the dust of their childhood past. )

7. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008

Classic Feel

8. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    lol. Is that why you just switched to a Hondo Ohnaka Icon? :p

9. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    Okay, okay, I guess I should actually answer seriously.

I'm the fan who came in with very low expectations and has been happily surprised.

What I look for in the things I love is the ability to read the story on multiple levels. You can look at the original Trilogy straight as just a simple story, but then you can read it as an example of the Hero's Journey, you can look at the many influences, so on and so on... I came into TCW thinking it's something very simple, and something that can only be read on the most basic level. At the time, that's what I really wanted. I literally lined up the first season to watch while I was recovering from foot surgery, because I wanted something to distract me but entertain me when I was on pain medication. That's still why I watch TCW sometimes: I just want to be entertained on a basic level without thinking much. After I feel like my brain's overheated after a test, it's a pretty great antidote. (Unfortunately, lately, this semester I've been watching a lot of Top Gear...)

If TCW was what I initially expected, I wouldn't be here. I was expecting more cheezy-yet-charming wincing-and-smiling moments that populated the prequels: entertaining but not worth rewatching or really discussing. Instead I got something much more pleasantly interesting. Right now I like it because it seems to be doing a lot of what the prequels did wrong: the dialog is more natural, the situations are perhaps more complex at times. They're also barely touching on issues that I thought mention of was rather startlingly lacking from the prequels - the idea of clones and personhood. Additions of Slick and the deserter at least start to approach this question of what sort of innate morality may be violated by creating people with this single-minded purpose. It's a difficult question and I was always shocked that the Jedi would support manufacturing people to basically be cannon fodder. (What rights do the clones really have, after all?)

Also Anakin has facial expressions other than Angry and Very Angry, and I love that. I also love that he acts like an SOB in slow and subtle ways. Before he gets to be the biggest baddest guy in the galaxy, I adore seeing him just casually being a jerk to people.

So really, I like it because I can still switch my brain off and not think hard about it - but I can also think about things more in-depth. :)

(Oh, and to answer the age question... I'm only 22, so far too young to catch the original trilogy in theaters... sadly. I did wear out my VHS of Empire Strikes Back, though.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.