Bloom, IN What kind of Topics do you want to talk about at meeting's?

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by echo-3, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I'm going to start a new monthly "Panel" about a certain year within the SW universe at the July meeting.
    I try and give some news to all area's of SW ,but I would like to hear your opinion if there is anything else you want me to try and focus on for the meeting's.
    More book news, More Costuming news , more Collecting news , More video game news , etc...Please let me know.
  2. atataboy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well obviously costume building (or more along the lines of props), discussing the EU, group activities might be cool to talk about. I would also like to talk about how we might make our own contribution to the star wars universe (other than just being awesome fans :) )
  3. tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Definitely not more collecting stuff. I really couldn't care less about the whole collecting aspect, and it's usually the part of the meeting where I become very interested in whoever's computer is closest. Haha.

Costuming would be good if people talked about their own projects, materials being used, sharing tips and the like. Or sharing photos of really good costumes and places to buy ready-made materials... That sort of thing.

I'm not a big gamer myself, nor am I up to date with the EU books (years behind, in fact), but I'd love it if the plots of new releases were discussed, or if people sort of reviewed things for the group. It's always nice to have someone tell you that that thing you were considering buying really is worth all that money. And while some of that may come up on the boards, these lovelies don't really allow for good group interaction.
  4. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I tried to do that at this past meeting and got booed!!
    Can you explain a little more in detail what you mean?
    Sorry If I ramble about the collecting aspect, that's kinda what we built the meeting around at the beginning. Everybody has their one area that doesnt interested them but I will try to spread out the news to everything as much as I can. And please, Feel free to jump in and say..I would like to talk about A or B..I wont mind at all and I'm sure no one else will mind either, that's what we are there for...All SW talk. :)
  5. Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling

star 2

If you mean the part where you brought up Karen Travis's new book, the only reason you got booed was because nobody wanted spoilers from the book. I personally like to hear stuff about the EU, 'cause I do read some of the books myself and find some of the stories rather interesting (some are redundant, but there's a lot of good content out there).

I definetly agree with Amy about the collecting stuff. I understand that collecting is a real passion for some people, but for me the only SW stuff I buy is stuff that has a purpose, like SW art or the movies. No offense meant to any collector out there, but for me I like to have things that I can use, not just say that I own. ::shrug:: But that's just me. I do, though, kinda zone out and look at things on my laptop when the collecting stuff is talked about, but of course that's not a reason not to talk about it. Just because I don't favor it is no reason to not talk about it. Just avoid making the whole meeting (or most of it) about collecting and I'll be happy.

For the other topics:

Costuming: I like seeing what other people have done, though I don't think I'll ever get into it myself.
    EU: As I said before, I like it, I want more of it, just don't spoil things.
    Video Games: I do play a lot of games, but because of that I keep up with the latest gaming news already on a daily basis, so I don't mind hearing about it, but I don't care if it get's more/less meeting time.

As for the group events that ATATaBoy mentioned, I'm sorta meh on them right now. I think the ideas are cool, but I lead a pretty busy life right now, and coming this fall I'll be working full time, teaching classes some evenings, taking a college class, and I'll have a new daughter on top of all that. In the words of Prince Humperdinck, "I'm swamped". (from the movie The Princess Bride)

I think for myself, if we can avoid talking the whole meeting about a single topic (whatever it is) I'll be happy. I was frankly bored for 90% of this last meeting, and though I obviously can't speak for them I noticed both at the meeting and on the recording that only half or less of the people at the meeting actually talked at all, even though the meeting was over an hour and a half long. I know people have been exicted about C4. Very, very exited. It's been the consuming topic for the last few months. And I'm happy that a few people got to go. But speaking as a person who couldn't go (and really, over half of the HA couldn't/didn't go), I don't really care to sit there and continually listen to things that I missed out on and couldn't do. I frankly cannot be more happy that C4 is over, and to be honest the only reason I went to the past couple of meetings was to record the podcast and to be able to hang out with people afterwards.

Now, I'm not going to complain about parts of any meeting being devoted to something I don't care about (such as collecting). That's just par for the course, since this is a meeting for everybody, not just myself. And I never had any problems with the meetings prior to the C4 stuff, and now that C4 is over I expect that things will probably go back to normal. But I would appreciate it in the future if we don't let a single topic, even if it is a big convention, take over the majority or the whole meeting, especially when the topic only really affects a few people.

And a final note to just make sure people know, I'm not pissed at anybody or anything, I'm just voicing my opinions. :)
  6. greedofan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sorry to those of you that aren't collectors, but the fact is, most of us do collect something. As you all know, collecting is Mike & mine's (and Eric's :) )main focus. I don't read the books (although I may start in the near future) and I don't play games. The costuming thing is cool, but I don't do that either. I know Mike is interested in gaming, costuming and droid building. We all have varied interests, and there are times when some of us will be less interested than others. I just sit there patiently when books that I could care less about are discussed. But just because I don't like the books doesn't mean they shouldn't be discussed :)
    I know Eric does his best to talk about anything and everything Star Wars. If it tends to be heavy on the collecting, that's probably where the news was. Collecting is a HUGE part of the Star Wars community. If you guys want to talk about something, bring it up. Don't place it all on Eric's shoulders.
  7. atataboy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Actually, this is a good topic. At the Indy Knight meetings (when I used to go) there was an issue of what to discuss, when all was quite between new movies. Now that there are no movies on the horizon, what are good topics?

Collecting
    Costuming
    Books
    Games
    Comics
    TV Projects
    Fan Films, Art, Projects
    OT and Prequels
    EU

Are there any other areas people have interest in? After a while, pure discussion about the movies will get a little repetitive, so what does a group talk about to keep things new and interesting? Obviously many of the other categories help cover this, but for those not interested in other categories; what would be good topics? I don't mean this sarcastically, rather I looking for other areas of SW interest. We could also touch on other Lucas projects or sci-fi. (within reason... otherwise it becomes a sci-fi club rather than SW)

I have tons of things I like to talk about in regards to Star Wars, but one thing i don't want to do is bore anyone or be a time hog. I would much rather put energy into things most people will find interesting at meetings, if I am going to bring something up and make comments you know? I think I mentioned I talk a lot right?

8. HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can understand why people might think we talk about collecting too much. If you break down many of our meetings, we end up talking for a majority of the time about new stuff to spend money on. In some ways its nice, because the only collecting sort of news I usually get is at the meetings, but in other ways its boring because I know that I'll never collect 90% of the stuff. :(

Once the summer is over and LFL is done with the conventions, I think they will begin to get back to the business of Star Wars news and shed some light on future projects.

I would really like to talk about the EU, I just don't want to hear spoilers about the most recent novel or ones that haven't come out yet. We could always talk more about the comics, because those are pretty easy to chat about without getting too bogged down in plot and long story arcs. I know that Brian could certainly help us all out in this respect! ;)

Some things I think we could keep interesting and fresh in the future:

Indiana Jones
    The Force Unleashed (the whole event, more than the game)
    Clone Wars
    Comics/EU
    The New RPG that is coming out (I know nothing, so would like to learn more)

With so many people of varying interests, its nearly impossible to get everyone on the same page and completely agree on doing or working on one thing. Instead, we can all kinda bring our "niche" to the table and share what we like. :)
  9. Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, and as I said above, I have no problem talking about (or at least listening to) stuff that I don't care for much, like collecting. Eric asked for opinions of what we wanted to talk about, and that's what I gave. My main point is just that I don't want meetings to completely consist of a single topic that only a few really care about, and really I'm not that worried about it now that C4 is over. And personally I'm not going to bother spending much more time discussing this; Eric's done a great job in the past scouring the news for suff to report on and talk about, and I can't see why he wouldn't in the future

On a side note, though, I was starving well before the time this last meeting was over. Is this trend of meetings being longer going to continue? If it is I'm going to have to start eating before the meetings. We didn't get out of this last meeting until around 9:10 p.m., and we didn't get done with food until 11:00-11:10 p.m. Of course part of that comes from going to BW3s and their service always sucks (and sorry, guys, the price, lousy service, and lousy food selection (if you don't like wings) is too much for me; I won't ever vote against BW3s if you guys want to go but from now on I don't think I'll join you).

10. tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Maybe it's just me, but would it be completely unheard of to talk about things other than that of the new-news type? I think it'd be kind of interesting to have a few roundtable-type discussions on things, like what people think of the turn the series is taking, or where we think the tv series will go, come up with some theories on what we'd like to see and compare them with what George will probably end up doing (because they're always going to differ.)

Have a snack before you go? I'd love for the meetings to keep being lengthier. A lot of the time, it's the only time I get to really geek out and feel at home, not to mention it usually being the only time I see most of you for that month.

I don't think anyone is pointing fingers at Eric, we're just saying what we'd like the meeting to be like, for the group. I love getting the latest news bulletins about things, even if I don't much care about half of them, but I'd also love to just have some good discussion after the news.

As for the talking about EU books and the like, definitely wasn't meaning talking about the latest released-last-week book and dishing out all the details. But we could do something like comparing which story arcs we like best, without being too heavy on the spoilers if it turns out someone hasn't read that particular one and plans to. We could talk about what's been done with our favorite characters in these 20+ universe years, whether we wish we could jump in and save them or whether we're cheering them on and praising the latest handful of authors.

Maybe I'm being greedy and expecting too much from the group. I mean it when I say I love the way things are, but like I also said, this is the only time I usually get to do this sort of thing, so apologies if anyone reads any of that as being whiny or wants-to-take-over-the-world-y.
  11. Bodknocks Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Hey, you guys know me -- I'd show up to the meetings if all we ever talked about was a slice of pizza with Yoda's face on it. The topics don't matter as much to me as the discussions we have, and the people I'm having them with. [:D]

That said, I really didn't have anything to add to the last meeting. My dialogue, usually full of verbose and whimsical humor, was reduced to a few mere "uh huhs" and "that's cools". But fear not, my alarmingly altruistic Alliance allies at arms! My witty contributions will return with full Force next month. And after all, we can talk about books and games any month, but C4 is a once in a lifetime event. I am perfectly okay with spending an entire meeting on C4, just as we spent multiple meetings on C3.

But whatever we do, we should make sure everyone gets a chance to share their little slice of the fandom, whatever that slice may be. [face_peace]
  12. Sword_of_SPEA Jedi Youngling

star 1
    That is an excellent suggestion!

Perhaps if everyone jotted down a one thing they want to talk about (not just broad topics but maybe a costume/prop/droid you're working on, just finished a book spoiler free, a new line/toy/collectible you want, a game you've played or are excited about, a question about the Fandom that you stumbled upon and want to discuss, and other things I'm obviously forgetting) and bring it to the meeting, we'll have a very well-rounded meeting. That way, it's not all on Eric to make sure all topics are discussed, plus it would reflect the varying tastes of the group.:D

On a side note, I'm hoping to come down for the July meeting.
  13. Bodknocks Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yes, that's another really good point. Eric does a great job getting the news for us and getting the meetings started, but he can't do EVERYTHING or cover every talking point. If there's something you (*points to the person reading this post*) want to talk about, then bring it up! I am 100% positive that the rest of the group won't say "shut up newb, lolollol". So at the next meeting, if anyone finds themselves zoning out at any point, just be sure to bring something up that interests YOU later on. You never know who might share a common interest! [face_mischief]
  14. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Thanks to all for the replys and thoughts.

Sorry about that, Collecting is my first love and to me, It has a TON of Purpose.

Chris, I would personal LOVE to hear your thoughts on any aspect of Star Wars & I am sure everybody else would enjoy it too!

That is just want I am wanting to know, everybody thoughts. I think those topics are right on!

And I thank you Tim for your opioin,Thats what I wanted. And i 100% agree with you that BW3 is getting so bad anymore. About the time issue, How does everybody feel about moving the starting time to 6:30 or 7PM?

Ami , That is going to be the first point of club business for the Aug meeting!
    If I don't bring it up, you remind me..OK?

Ami, I don't think your asking for to much at all. In fact I think you have a great point there . I also agree very much about loving the time we do spend together at meeting's.

Can I get a AMEN Brother???

And to everyone, thank you so much for the "Bid of confidence" in my role as leader.

15. tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling

star 2
    As long as it doesn't go earlier than that, wouldn't bother me any.

If I get to be there for that one, I definitely will. (There's only one weekend in August that I'll be in town, due to stupid move-in dates, so more likely that the meeting will be scheduled another time.) Regardless, I'll be looking forward to it.
  16. MusicTrooper Jedi Master

star 4
    Hopeful to contribute some usefull ideas:)

As the HA continues to grow,

there is obiviously an opportunity for more and more varried activities,

With size and diversity comes the challenge and reward
    of finding positive ways to get everyone together.

All I can think of at this time is to subject myself to your
    collective scrutiny:)

I collect, but not avidly, but I use my collected items to help me
    better understand my costuming goals, and thus must read and know the
    the roles of the various other characters, even tho I am not an avid book
    reader.....and all of this helps when I do an event as there are many fans,
    and if I do not know something about books, collecting, costumes, etc.
    I hope that I can steer people to the club member I know and hang out with
    who, is more of an expert in other areas of Star Wars.

more specifically, hope you guys get into costuming,
    it involves, EVERYTHING, for example,
    at my last Chicago Force costuming club,
    there was sanding a gun for painting (very nice girl I know)
    sewing by hand (a guy working on Jedi Robes) Old and Young,
    discussing everything from toxic fumes to performance to charity to etc.
    The next one I go do, I hope to bring some electronics,
    and get some ideas from others. It is kinda hard to work on a
    group project, but learning a small part of anything like what paint to use
    to where to buy something, to which toy might serve as a good mode.

MTFBWY
  17. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Oh great...so now that I'm gone you're going to start talking about Indiana Jones, huh?!

Oy!

Just kidding! Great topic for discussion, in my opinion! I have a couple of friends that are pulling some strings to try and get me on as a "day player" on the next "Indy" film. Wish me luck!!
  18. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Well I spent a good chunk of last night doing research on the EU and I got a so much info that ,for time constrance I split it up between July and Aug meeting. Between the other thing I have plan and the EU stuff why don't we start it at 7pm??

Update:
    I have Austin and Ami down for a 7pm start time, Anyone else?
  19. Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Heh, not all of us are night owl college students who stay up till 3 or 4 in the morning every night. When dinners go till past 11 o'clock, that means it's past the time I've normally gone to bed. Personally I wouldn't mind if meetings were held at around 6:00, especially if the meetings are going to continue getting longer and if a good number of us are planning on going out to eat afterwards. I don't want us to get out of meetings at a time that our only eating options are sports bars and the like because other places are closing soon.

But Eric has suggested 7pm in a email and I think that's a good starting point. I know a decent amount of people can make a 7pm start time 'cause that's around the time I normally get to Avalon and there's usually several people there already. If the meetings continue to get longer, we can either move the start time back or limit the meeting by saying that the meeting is from start time - end time, and if people want to continue discussing stuff they can just do that at dinner. Nothing says that we can't continue discussing stuff over dinner; we usually do. :)
  20. Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling

star 2
    A quick clarification, I meant that if I buy a SW item that item is used for a specific purpose, like I watch movies, the art goes up on the wall, I have a Vader head that serves as a candy despenser, etc. I just dont buy stuff that goes up on a shelf or stays in boxes, whether it be a figure in a box or a item that stays in a box in the garage. But that's just me. :)
  21. tainted_crimson Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Actually, I know a good number of students (myself included) who usually hit the hay shortly after midnight or earlier because of early classes. Weekends are the only time to get actual sleep and usually the only time to go out and get off campus to take care of errands. So the later starting time is appreciated for that. What I meant by my comment was that I was okay with moving it up a bit, but if anyone suggested something like 4pm or the like, I'd definitely be opposed, because it'd basically cut the day in half.
  22. greedofan Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, 7 is the earliest I would be willing to move it. Some of us have to work weekends, and I often don't get off of work until 6:30 on Saturdays.
  23. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Well I think I have had enough input that we can move it to 7pm from now on. I havent herd from Brian or Joe or Chris(RC) or Tim T or Tash about it but they are usually at Avalon by just after 7 anyways.
    So starting with the next (July 14th) meeting we will start at 7pm. Thank you for every body's input.
  24. daemondred Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I can make it at 7pm no problem. I just hadn't had the chance to reply yet. I've been up in Chicago for a wedding since thursday and just got home late last night.

Bryan
  25. atataboy Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I am fine with 7. I don't see any problems with it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.