main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What kinda animation would you prefer to see in Star Wars: Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, May 20, 2013.

?

?

1. TCW style 3d animation

62 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. CW Miniseries style (Samurai Jack style) animation

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Traditional Disney style 2D animation

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Japanese anime style animation

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Beowulf style near-real CG animation

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'd rather they keep with the TCW style myself. But your mileage may vary

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    They have the same art director and CG supervisor. So I assume it's going to be a repeat of the TCW style. Would have preferred 2D (neither Disney nor CW miniseries style -- more akin to DC's style). Beowulf would be awesome but surely impractical in regards to cost. Japanese animation would have been acceptable. The TCW style of animation had developed significantly across 5 seasons of TCW, but still had some short comings in regards to re-use of assets and even after 5 seasons they couldn't even fill Oppo Rancicis' council chair presumably because it took too much time and money to make a character model that was non-essential.

If Rebels hits the ground running and develops that style of animation further and speeds up the time in which they can develop assets, then it could be excellent. But otherwise I would have preferred that they had gone with 2D, in which they could do anything they want on the same budget without limitations.

VanishingReality likes this.
  3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    3D animation. Whether it's stylised like TCW was, or more realistic doesn't really bother me, as long as it looks pleasing to the eye.

2D animation can look awesome, I just prefer the more realistic look of three dimensions.

4. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Economically speaking it makes no sense to build up such a huge library of models for TCW, and not continue to use them.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That's true. They already have Coruscant, Yularen, Tarkin, Sidious/Palaptine, Troopers and vehicles. Certainly some will need to be altered or remade, but very few will need total redos. More importantly, they have a robust library of alien species now that they did not have when the show first started. That alone will be important for crowd scenes. I would be incredibly shocked if they did not continue in the Clone Wars format. I expect it'll just be even more refined then what we've seen in Season 5.

6. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW style, I couldn't imagine them using anything else fitting.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Anything except near-realism. Some of these characters derive their personality in part from the way they were animated -- Cad Bane and Hondo, for example. You might be able to pull of a cool-looking "real" version of these characters, but trying to imagine them in action just makes me feel as though they would lose something.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I do NOT want TCW's 3D video game style again.

Different series, different era. Give us something different, not more of the same.

9. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Most modern video games look more realistic than TCW' style. :p

10. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Doesn't really matter..

11. Ordo Skirata

Ordo Skirata Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope it's more realistic. I would love if the new series looked like the SWTOR cinematic trailers.

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, there's a reason those videos (I believe that was produced by Blur?) are only 4 minutes long. They cost a TON!

Saying that, Halo 4 has an entire hour of this animation for it's cutscenes, but I can't imagine how much it cost them.

13. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Something like the 3D-2D mix look of Disney's Paperman short might be cool..

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hear hear!

15. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    While the CG look is incredibly awesome, I think that would be cost prohibitive. I think we'll get something closer to what we had with TCW. At first I didn't really care for that, but by mid run, I grew to like it and would be happy to see Rebels in that format.

16. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I'd prefer 2D animation but if it has to be 3D then definitely not Clone Wars style CGI. I do not like that style whatsoever.

17. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    TCW style, please. If I can't have that, I want SWTOR intro flick style. And if I can't have that, anime.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    How about this type of animation?

V-2 likes this.
  19. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    This.

20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    That would be awesome but really that stuff is expensive for animated movies only or videogame cutscenes.

21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I like mixed 2D and 3D animation alot however given how high the animation quality is in TCW it would be hard to step back to anything else. That's why I vote for TCW animation.

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    They should keep the TCW CGI style (or at least something similar). In the later seasons on TCW they really stepped up the quality of the animation and detail so it would be nice if they brought it back. I'll add that while I not dislike them, I don't think I would complain if they phased out the stiffness of the character movements completely or dropped the puppet-type designs, though.

But I would be completely fine if they went with a 2D show instead since most often I prefer it to CGI, but they should not be cheap with it and make it flat.

23. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yep. Over the past half decade they've been working on TCW, Lucasfilm has built a sizable library of models and other assets. That's one step that is rather time consuming and costly when developing a 3D feature. They can just pull from that library (that's probably pretty easy to update) and continue creating new models. I expect we will continue to see the same TCW style, perhaps slightly modified and better looking than what we're used to.

I do like the animation style, and I love that sample clip (and YES, finally the Empire wins and is shown in a rather neutral way!) but I seriously doubt Disney would bankroll a high profile animation project using anime inspired animation (especially as their first owned SW animated series). I would wager they probably feel that such a style would not be as marketable as the ever popular 3D CGI animated shows.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not sure how they would pull of a TCW style Vader. Vader is bulky but athletic. Can't have him run around like a typical TCW mannequin.

25. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    As awesome as that would be, it would cost a **** ton of money to produce a series with that level of detail and realism.

Edit: As weird as this might sound, I would like to see TCW's animation, but with better "shine" effects. Seriously, everything would have looked a lot better in TCW it the ships and gadgets had more shine to them. Also, I want it to look realistic to a degree. At least in regards to the faces. They should be slightly less edgy and the hair should look more like what we had in Pixar's Up. Also, nothing like Dooku's head in TCW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.