main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What kinda animation would you prefer to see in Star Wars: Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, May 20, 2013.

?

?

1. TCW style 3d animation

62 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. CW Miniseries style (Samurai Jack style) animation

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Traditional Disney style 2D animation

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Japanese anime style animation

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Beowulf style near-real CG animation

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Never been a big fan of Cardcaptor Sakura myself other than "Catch You Catch Me" is painfully catchy.

3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I hope for a more evolved looking TCW style. Do it the same but better. ;) Make the people look less like they belong in Toy Story....

Though I'd not be against some nice tasteful stylised 2D. I much prefer my cartoons to look drawn rather than rendered.

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Detail only gets you so far before animation needs a bump. TCW definitely improved as it went along, but they never really improved the way certain models moved in motion. The Clone Trooper running cycle has been the same since season 1, and it is disconcerting to see flesh and blood troopers move with robotic rigidness. It's like their pelvis isn't attached to the spinal cord and their legs move on their own without relation to the rest of the body.

I still hold up Roughnecks as one of the best looking CGI shows I have seen. Not because of the detail on the character models, but because, for 1998, they moved and reacted to their environments better than any other show at the time.

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    And 2D drawings do not? o.o

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  6. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I said stylised-ness, not 3D animation itself. My posts in this thread indicate 3D animation = yes; weird videogame-y people = no. SWTOR-style or Final Fantasy-style 3D animation would by far be my preference. Nowhere did I say that I want to see Clone Wars microseries 2D animation.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Out of curiosity what are some examples of 3D animation currently on TV that are easier to be immersed by than TCW? Transformers Prime? Green Lantern? TMNT on Nick? Nitrogen Studios animated Thomas and Friends?

8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. It's pretty impressive, yes, but the most visually impressive ever? That's a stretch. I've seen more artistically innovative animation (Yellow Submarine, The Thief and The Cobbler), more technically impressive animation (Macross: Do You Remember Love - especially impressive if you remember that it was completely pre-digital, and 100% drawn by hand), more visually interesting animated worlds (Wings of Honneamise, The Triplets of Belleville, Ghost in the Shell), cleaner animation (The Legend of Korra, Macross Plus), and better-looking CGI (Fireball). That's not to put down TCW, it's high-quality, and only got better as it went along. But let's not get carried away.

V-2 and VanishingReality like this.
  9. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Do not mention CGI Thomas ever again, lest I bring up that horrendous Misty Island Rescue clip.

07jonesj likes this.
  10. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I'm not sure about that. Given her general lolirifficness, and the consequent creepy fandom thereof, one wonders just who was being invited to "catch" her.

Could be worse. Could be Kodomo no Jikan.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    You do that and I'll torture you back with a wall about what they've done to Edward.

Hard to imagine anything creepier than a harem one with 9 year olds. I don't think that was ever the intend with Cardcaptor Sakura's OPs.

12. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Actually, the thing that creeps me out most about Kodomo no Jikan is the fact that it was written by a woman.

13. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    If they keep the TCW style 3d animation, that would be the best for me.

14. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Well that was it, the movie. But look at how good the animation looks, imagine a Star Wars series with that kind of animation quality. Sadly, it would be very very expensive :/

15. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Ah okay, I thought there might have been some other TV series or fully-animated thing called Beowulf, because as far as I knew, Beowulf was mostly live-action.

16. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    IIRC (and I could be wrong) Beowulf was CG on a "mo-cap" base (same process they used to do Gollum in LOTR/The Hobbit).

17. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    How about old Droids/Ewoks/Holiday Special animated segment Nelvana animation

V-2 likes this.
  18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'd go with TCW style animation.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    C-3PO blinks.

Plus it looked like the old 80's Zelda cartoon. Which was baaaaaad.

20. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Prettymuch this. I voted for TCW-style, though I'd gladly take some nice 2-D.

So psyched for this.

V-2 likes this.
  21. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    No, it's motion captured and animated as far as i know.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW style of Animation

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I really dont care too much the style just that they bring it out. Knowing Filoni, this show will resemble the clone wars. Which is not bad cause they have been improving year in an out

24. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I think those shorts have a lot of substance. Hope made me feel more than any TCW episode has. They may be short, but great storytelling is concise communication.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  25. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    It looks like the 3D animation style is confirmed, I saw Exec Producer Greg Weisman Tweet a reply to a fan question:
    @Greg_Weisman: “@MJPETTY7: "@dave_filoni Congrats guys! I cannot wait. Will it be 2D or 3D animation? #StarWarsRebels” 3D.

Greg would know, and Filoni also mentioned the 3d versions of McQuarrie's work. I'm happy with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.