main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG What languages are spoken in singapore?

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Rebel_Sock_Trader, Apr 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel_Sock_Trader

Rebel_Sock_Trader Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    A. what languages are spoken in singapore?
    B) what languages are spoken by the people on this board?

me: B) russian, english, pig latin, gibberish, ubby-dubby, among others... :D

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I speak Clefairy Language and a Dash of Psyduck . . . . :D

3. Rebel_Sock_Trader

Rebel_Sock_Trader Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
  4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Well, quoting what I have learnt in school about a hundred million times so far ;) : Official language is Malay, Lingua Franca is English, Chinese and Tamil are spoken very often too. There's a lot of (Mandarin)dialects being used among the elderly also.

And I'm learning French now, but don't count that because I only use it to my classmates :) .

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    PIKACHUUUUUUUUUUU!

:p

6. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Clefairy, Clef, Clef, Fairrrryyyy, Cleeeefaaaaiiirrryyy! :p

[face_laugh]

Okay, lah! As what Valiowk said, our proper official language is all 4 languages: Malay (Johor-Riau version to be more precise), Chinese (students taught Mandarin dialect in school), Tamil (there is only 1 type of Tamil language, right?) and our main communication language and the one being used to teach us all our subjects not including Mother Tongue is English (mostly British type but some people prefer to use American spelling).

Many Chinese, mostly the older adults ones can also speak other Chinese Dialect like Hokkien (also the one contributing the most to our Singlish aka Singapore English), Cantonese, Teochew etc. For Malay, very few people can speak the Boyanese, Javanese and Minangkabau Dialect.

An increasing number of people can also speak one other foreign language like French, Japanese, one of the 3 Official Languages (Malay, Mandarin or Tamil), Italian, Spanish etc with the first 2 being the most popular choices.

Our creation or "Marketing" Language is Singlish (Singapore English) which got the mixture of English (both British & American), Hokkien, Malay and a dash of other languages like Tamil, French etc. It's usually used when talking to people who don't speak English well like the older generations. ;)

For me, I'm want to learn to speak and maybe a bit or reading Japanese, and then Mandarin and then donno what else. :p

7. JaZzYjaZZ

JaZzYjaZZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Haha..maybe we should learn gungun or ewok language.. :D

8. RisingAdela

RisingAdela Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2001
    For me there's a horse language...

HEEEEEHEEEEEE

Yeah right it sounded more like a person laughing...... :(

9. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Hehe. Your ponytail...never mind. :D :p ;)

I think there's Urdu and Punjabi...dunno... [face_plain] ?[face_plain]

10. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Opss, I forget about the other Indian languages. :p Don't forget Hindi and Hindustani(?)

Heehee, maybe a look in the GCE 'O' or 'A' Level Exam timetable guidebook will tell us what other languages is being spoken in Singapore, the minority ones that is. ;)

Oh yes, before I forget, we CAN learn some other language found in the SW Universe. There is this SW Travellers Guide Book and I saw one at Kino before (at the SW section near Coffee Club Express). The only disadvantage is that it only contain the most used type of phases in the SW movies. :p

11. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    I have that book. :)

It's quite fun to read it, and quite funny too. I got it last year, but still haven't managed to memorise it yet. [face_plain] :D

12. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Singlish.
    Like, duh.

13. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    A formal farewell in Huttese: 'Twoos pa reeta bah flootah', i.e. 'may your juices stay fresh'.

:D

14. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Heehee! :D

But pity that the book don't have Gungan Old Language (the kind spoken by 2 of the Gungans when JarJar and Jedi came into the Underwater City) :(

15. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    Yah...I've watched TPM ten times on VCD and I still can't figure out what they're saying. :( Or maybe my hearing got problem. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.