main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What line or lines in TPM made you cringe?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by George15, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    But...but it was poo! :eek:

2. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    "It's so wonderful, Annie. You have brought hope to those who have none."

Ugh.

3. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    Seeing my little thread thrive brings warm feelings to my heart.

Now tell me that didn't make you cringe.

4. Queen-Sabe

Queen-Sabe Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2003
    I hate "Are you an Angel."

5. advent

advent Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2003
    Posted by -_-_-_-_-_-:
    "Yipee!"

That's about it.
    Same for me, although I wouldn't say I thought it was so bad that I cringed.

I've heard kids say that, so the only reason to not include it would be to avoid making teens and adults cringe. ;)

After the first viewing, "yippee" didn't bother me.

6. Tomaschus

Tomaschus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    Every line the Trade Federation people said. The neimodians (sp?) and battle droids had horrible voices and lines.

7. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    "Every line the Trade Federation people said. The neimodians (sp?) and battle droids had horrible voices and lines."

Mind providing some examples?

8. 12_parsecs

12_parsecs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2002

I can't stand the Neimoidian (sp?) who says, "They've gone in the ventilation shaft." What was up with her voice? I just think that was a horrible voice for that character. So, it wasn't the words, but the voice, that made me cringe.

Also, the droids and their "Roger, roger." gets old after a while. And the droid that is questioning Qui Gon. "Where are you taking them?" "To Coruscant." (This next line stinks horribly) "Coruscant, that doesn't compute, wait, you're under arrest." (paraphrasing) When the droid says "That doesn't compute," it gets on my nerves for some reason. Oh well, I'm just hard to please I guess, lol.

9. Darth-Mauls-Torso

Darth-Mauls-Torso Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    The only lines that really bug me are:

the two "Yippies!!" :(

"Many things will change at the capital, but my caring for you will remain." Urgh

"Now this is pod racing!!!" No it isn't, it's space combat, and therefore not pod racing! Gahh!!

10. Daemonicus

Daemonicus Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2003
    Anakins line of 'I was wondering, what are midichlorians?'. It sounded like he was having trouble with it or something

11. Cantina_Owner

Cantina_Owner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2003
    Any Jar Jar.

"Are you an angel?"

12. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    One word - Yippee!!!

I loved the movie, I just disliked that line immensley!!

13. RassyDreas

RassyDreas Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2002
    This is one no one has yet to mention:

"I didn't exactly come here to free slaves," Qui-Gon Jinn.

I love the guy, but that was a callous thing to say.

14. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Yipeeee! was pretty bad but the one that really made me cringe was "Mesa bad bombad"

15. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    the one that really made me cringe was "Mesa bad bombad"

Maybe I would have cringed at that, too. Good thing it wasn't in the movie.

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Just about everything Jar Jar said and Ani.

17. elfnmatrix

elfnmatrix Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2003
    Are u an angel?

I cringed in the theater and I was like 12 even my 9 year old sister thought that was dumb as has every other person I've talked to. No 9 year old boy would ask that....

Isn't it interesting that Peter Parker asked the same thing about MJ when he met her? (In the Spiderman movie)

18. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Nothing in TPM makes me cringe. I say that with no inhibitions. *pats self on back* :D

19. DarthZordec

DarthZordec Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2003
    Well, lets see...
    (thinking...)
    I say take the whole frelling movie, burn it, and start over!

Lets take it scene by scene, shall we...

-The dialogue between the pilot of Anikan and Obiwans ship and the trade federation guy.
    -TC-17 entering the room, introducing herself.
    -The trade federation guys spazzing becuase they had Jedis on board.
    -The federation robot troopers gathering around the door to the meeting room. "Roger, roger..."
    (By this point, my worst fears were conirmed...the new Star Wars movie was a ball of cheese.)
    -The federation dudes spazzing again becuase the Jedis are cutting through the door.
    -Soon after this point, we meet Jar-Jar. Categorically, everything that Jar-Jar did or said was BAD. So, that pretty well wraps him up.
    -The Gungan City...that was pretty lame too. "Yousa in big doo doo this time..." What!?!
    *(Sidenote: Unrelated to dialogue, how many times did they almost get ate by a %$#@ fish in that scene??? After this point, theres was a tolerable ten minute gap in the cheese...a few cool Jedi fight scenes, etc.)
    -Then, on the princesses getaway ship, we had the "scotty-wanna-be" pilot...was that an intentional ripoff, or just a coincidence? "The shield generator is hit!" (It doesnt have the poweeeeeer captain...) And then the ensueing 'NER NER NER NER' alarm in robot holding room.)
    -Was Captain Tinoka commending the droid, or trying to sell it to Amidala? (An extremly well put together little droid...)
    -Our introduction to Anakin...categorically, his dialogue and acting were extremly bad. It would have been alright if he were a good actor...Harrison Ford and Liam Nieson didnt have much to work with, but they pulled it off. The poor kid didnt have a chance. I think thats been covered well enough, so Ill leave that one alone.)
    -The next time theres anything bad *besides* Anakin is at the pod race...the two headed announcer. The fans. Sebulba. The other pod racers. George must have been taking pointers from Saturday morning cartoons when he wrote these scenes.
    -The explanation of midichlorians...thats been covered already. What the frell was that???
    -The romance between Anakin and Amidala. That doesnt happen in real life...it was a great blunder in the movie.
    -For a while, the only cheese is Anakin and Jar-Jar...thats been covered.
    -In the return to Naboo, Portmans poor acting and dialogue become especially aparent. Its too numerous to name here in a post thats already long.
    -The whole Gungan battle scene made me cringe...it was a showcase of CGI cartoons...not characters...cartoons. Weve covered the droids and the Gungans already I believe.

What made me drop 8 bucks and see the movie four times was the awesome Jedi battle scene at the end. I skip through all the rest and just watch this part.

So, theres my rant on Episode 1.

EDIT: That's off topic, but you are welcome to post that sort of thing in The Bashers Sanctuary. Thank you.

20. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    The only bits of lines that still really irk me today are Anakin's "I think." "When I was three, I think." "They come from one of the moons of Eago, I think." I just want to yell at Anakin and make him shut the hell up. There are maybe a few other times I kind of get annoyed, but this usually comes from the actor and not the line *cough*Portman*cough*.

I don't see what's wrong with Boss Nass. I've always found him to be rather humorous. And I think that the midichlorians scene was done efficiently.

Cometgreen

21. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    I wasn't afraid of any lines of dialogue in Episode I.

-Otis

22. TK414

TK414 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    Amen DarthZordec!

I pop that epI DVD now and all I make it through is the first part on the FED ship and then I cut right to the final saber fight.

Now that can't be good at all!

23. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    Almost every line by the race commentator. Especially the "I don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta' hurt"

Other than that I have no problems with the dialogue.

24. DarthZordec

DarthZordec Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2003
    Of course, I strongly suspect that some having problems with the dialogue and others not is directly related to region and culture. What represents "cool" in one place is considered cheesy in another. And Episode 1 was writen and produced for a much larger international audience.

But it was also made to be a childrens movie which completly alienated many of the now adult fans from 20 years ago. They didnt pay 8.00 to see a kiddie flick!

(And of course, Im very critical and hard to please too...;))

25. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Written, Directed, and Produced By George Lucas 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.