main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What loose ends do you want tied up from TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Considering the fact that TCW and Rebels are canonically on the same level I think it would be good for them to have connections. Besides many characters like Saw Gerrera, Riyo Chuchi, Hondo Ohnaka and even Ahsoka are almost too good possibilities not to appear in Rebels at some point. Of course new original stories and characters are welcome as well...

CoolyFett likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I do find it weird that Yoda is fighting sidious in the trailer.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The shows may both be canon but it's a big galaxy. There is no real need for connections.

4. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Guys, Rex isn't a commander, he's a captain. He's in charge of one company within the 501st. There are other captains in the 501st. Appo outranks Rex and leads the entire 501st legion. For all we know Rex could have been marching into the Jedi temple with the other clones, just marching with his company rather than next to Anakin.

purplerain likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Sorry but Appo in the Umbara arc was a sargent and rex does lead the 501st he was not a captain because ashoka was the commander.

I also know he is not the commander in ROTS.

6. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    The heirarchy seems to be General Skywalker then Captain Rex with no inbetween now that Commander Tano is gone. Which is kinda weird. Even when Ahsoka was around, there was no clone commander for the 501st IIRC, when you had General Kenobi and Marshal Commander Cody of the 212th or General Secura and Commander Bly.

Then ROTS comes around and Appo is commander of the 501st, a postition that didn't seem to be filled chronologically earlier by a clone.

So all in all something is up. Either:
    1. Commander Tano vacated the position and a clone, Appo, filled it- Rex died or was passed up for promotion. (Or since he is a CT and not a CC, maybe wasn't eligible?)
    2. There has always been an offscreen clone commander, that Appo eventually replaced by ROTS.
    3. Another dropped ball by Lucas.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It mite get addressed in the bonus content.

8. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    Rex never left his rank as Captain, and captains aren't in charge of entire legions. I don't think anything you said disputes my statement?

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I will say one thing at this point in the clone wars Appo does not out rank Rex but he does in ROTS.

purplerain likes this.
  10. vstarvan

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes, so at some point the previous commander died and Appo took his place.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes ok I see you have a point.

12. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    And somehow Appo jumped up 5 ranks in the span of 2 years.

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Thats the point did like all of the captains die or did he do something amazing.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  15. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    My theory is that it was probably a combo.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    Unless they refer to Commander Rex, probably not, we know the gist of what happens in the BC.

He was cast in the movie.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You mean he was CGIed into the movie.

18. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    I always thought that Skywalker and Tano were hanging with Torrent Company, a Company of the 501st that Rex led. It was always my impression that the 501st was either bigger than you see, or else maybe it was just a small special forces type unit that wasn't big enough to rate a Clone Commander as a leader.

Maybe it was the nature of the limitations in the animation (or budget) but most of the time when you saw Anakin leading a mission it was a small detachment of 3 Star Destroyers, not a massive fleet. Ditto for ground missions. Remember that Anakin wasn't really trusted to lead the big missions on his own. Most of the time when he was doing "big" things it was as a tag along with Obi-wan. It is logical for Anakin to only get a company while Obi-wan, a Jedi Master and council member, seems to get the entire 212th and a bigger fleet.

We over-inflate Anakin's importance because he is the main character but both TCW and ROTS make it pretty clear that he is a relatively middle-level player in the Clone Wars, at least until he rescues the Chancellor and kills Dooku and the Chancellor puts him on the council. There are probably a hundred nameless Jedi Masters leading bigger missions than Anakin was that we never see or hear of. Remember Krell? The clones talked about him as if he were famous, but before that arc you never heard of him.

To be fair the whole 501st organization thing is pretty vague and there probably never will be a good explanation for why Rex isn't in ROTS because the show was cancelled before he got his walk off into the sunset moment. I'm hoping he found a hot Twi-lek and moved next door to Cut and took up farming.

CoolyFett likes this.
  19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    My understanding was that originally the idea was that Captain Rex merely led Torrent Company, while Appo was Commander of the Legion. But in the Krell arc, we see this isn't the case. Appo is actually beneath Rex. Databank entries at Cartoon Network's site, and I believe even the SW.com databank both pointed to Rex as leader of the 501st.

Now, in the EU there were clone commanders and Jedi commanders. In TCW, it looked like they streamlined it, probably to prevent confusion. So that Ahsoka is referred to as Commander and Rex is referred to as Captain, without having to clarify that there is a Jedi Commander and a Clone Commander and dealing with who outranks who (that's my guess anyway).

All signs at this point, unless the EU has tried to establish a new commander that outranks Rex, suggest that Rex is indeed leader (or at least clone leader) of the 501st Legion - Anakin, followed by Ahsoka were likely the top two leaders of the 501st. Rex may have been promoted to Commander with the absence of Ahsoka, but TCW didn't last that long post-Ahsoka to show that (unless it's in the BC).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Seeing as Hera's last name is Syndulla, i.e. Cham Syndulla, I'd say connections to TCW will definitely happen. We don't know Sabine's last name, she could be related to Clan Kryze.

As for the whole Rex plot, to me it makes sense why he isn't in ROTS. When it starts, Anakin and Obi are on a secret mission to rescue the Chancellor. Anakin then goes on leave as you'd have it, so there's no reason Rex would be around until after Order 66 is executed. From there, I feel you can draw your own conclusions how you see fit.

21. moonjump05

Dec 14, 2013
    That about sums it up.

22. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    They probably didn't do this, but it would have been totally doable: End the final episode of the Yoda arc with Yoda speaking to the council, or to anybody, about the Clone Wars. Then cut away, while Yoda's narration continues, and show the various characters from the series: Anakin and Obi-Wan leaving for an unknown mission (potentially the micro-series final chapters), Appo being awarded a promotion as Rex looks on, maybe even Ahsoka in some unknown location looking to the stars. Sure it wouldn't be the finale many of us wanted, but it would be a nice "Lord of the Rings" style conclusion where we get a glimpse of what happened next and segues us into Episode III. All they'd need is Tom Kane recording a narration, and a bit of animation reusing assets.

Circular Logic likes this.
  23. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I thought Davey boy said they were given permission to give these last TCW episodes a conclusion. I assumed that would entail a small coda at the end sort of like what you described. I myself thought they could end the Yoda arc with a narration by Abmiral Yularen.

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It might not be Sidious; either a vision (similar to Luke fighting Vader on Dagobah) or Yoda will fight a series of Sith spirits on Moriband.

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd like the ending to have the narration done by the Whills, warning us of the coming darkness but with the promise of a hero rising from the ashes. It would be the perfect setup leading into RoTS and Rebels.

Circular Logic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.