What makes a good MP level?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SoloCommand, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    I've been playing JK, MOTS, JO, HL and CS.

I've downloaded thousands of maps and mods,
    Played 'em to death,
    But I still hav'nt found the perfect level.

Jedi Battlegrounds in JK still remains my favorite though, small, compact, down to earth and simple.

What's your favorite MP level (in any game, or mod), and what makes it great?
  2. Darth_Simpson Jedi Master

star 4
    Quake 2 DM1. One of my favourites, if I remember the map numbers correctly. Just big enough, a large arena in the middle, enough passages to add a little strategy to the game. A great map, I still love it, after all these years.
  3. Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling

star 4
    One of the Naboo levels. There's two editions, one of which comes in the Spork pack. The extended one is just too big, so I like the smaller one (I think it's the spork one)
  4. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    cs_assualt is perfect. Worlds of fun for both CTs and Ts.
  5. Cigam Retah Force Ghost

star 5
    For Jedi Outcast, my favorite level of all time is FFF_ns_streets. That level is huge! It's not a tiny, cramped frag fest, but a display of acrobatic skills, ranged attacks and melee encounters.

Get a good game going with 32 players and the Vertical City really comes alive.
  6. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The only problem with that level is the 5 minutes it takes to get to where the fight might be. On the other hand, Force Push is extremely fun here.
  7. Cigam Retah Force Ghost

star 5
    That's what jumping up and falling down are for. With Jedi Healing, who cares if you fall 40 stories? A quick few hits of 'F5' and you're ready to deal damage to the nearest Sith Lord (Dark Jedi).
  8. DRK_HLMT Force Ghost

star 4
    The Jawa Dwelling was a good mod in JK. It was huge though and needs to be played with a lot of people. There is a switch that is hidden in a underground water passage that when you turn it on, the gravity goes off and everyone that is standing outside goes straight up in the air. When the switch goes off they all come crashing down. It also has different levels built right in to the game. If you can find the entrance then it transports you to another level. One of the levels is the battleground level.

9. PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I don't know. There are some areas where you just can't jump that high. On the other hand, having very-quick elevators that take you to the top placed all around the map, would be great. I spent too much time on the map trying to get to the top.
  10. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    I love ns_streets. By far my favorite of the included maps. Raven Base is exactly how you DON'T make a map, although I completely own it.
  11. Jomero Jedi Knight

star 3
    Complex, yet simple design. Simple to navigate, slightly difficult to master.

Quake 1 DM4 is the ultimate and finest example you shall ever, ever have.

God bless American McGee.

-Jomero
  12. Ben Kenobi Force Ghost

star 5
    Did America McGee do Quake 1? I never knew that.
  13. Darth_Simpson Jedi Master

star 4
    Didn't he just do one of the maps?
  14. Insane Anakin Jedi Master

star 4
    Duel of the Fates: SE was one of the best levels ever made for JK.

And I'm so damn with you when it comes to the ultimate tit-ness of Jawa Dwelling: (SE)

So many traps... something for everyone. It even utilized the good old camera-code. You could see your enemies fall into your little traps. And who could forget the cool sky-diving into the water tank that I'm sure you did ten times when you first saw the level?
  15. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    For me a good quality MP JK/MOTS map needs to be:

Medium sized. (good for 2 - 5 people)
    Fairly open in places. (not just running around in little rooms etc - that sucks.)
    Have a good range of Weapons.
    Not have copious amounts of pickups. (so you are not running around always with full health/shields/ammo)
    No lag. (good textures but not so that lag becomes a factor.)
  16. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Ta SFL,

*makes notes*

I think he knows what I'm up to.

EDIT: And FYI American worked in ID since Doom.
  17. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Download MLP4.

those levels are awesome - but too big and have too many corridors. (unless 5 or so people play - then they're great!)

"Can Yun-o Ace is?" is the best level from that pack. Play that level - and get some ideads.

:D

Nar Shaddaa (SP?) from vanilla JK is a good level too. Compact yet enjoyable.

Battle Ground Jedi is average - no guns.
  18. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    I'm not square, I got MLP 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Neurotic, god that level freaks me out.
  19. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No, not square, more of a rhombus.

:D
  20. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Quadrilateral, but slightly irregular.
  21. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  22. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I've too naive with MPing to really make a judgment.

.....Considering that I think "Canyon Oasis" is the best MP level ever. :D
  23. SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer

star 5
    Or maybe even a equilateral polymorphic decadodron.
  24. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Considering that I think "Canyon Oasis" is the best MP level ever.

ditto.

and "Can Yun-o Ace is?" straight behind. :D
  25. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Personally, I don't like MLP4. The levels lack personality. They're just walkways and corridors which all look the same.

I agree with PB, cs_assault is a great map due to the strategic placements of entrances to the warehouse. You can enter from 3 sides, and each entrance has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Naboo for JK is also a cool map simply because it is a perfect recreation of the 'duel of the fates' scene in TPM.

Generally, I hate maps that contain too many guns, especially guns like the Golan and Repeater where people void of skill just run around shooting unavoidable blasts at people trying to have a saber fight. Despite what people say, half the time it is impossible to force push (because the rate of fire is too fast and your force pool gets drained rapidly) or avoid the onslaught so you end up being killed by lamers who are more interested in getting a high score than having a good game. They just point the gun in your general direction and keep firing until you are dead, and there's not much you can do about it. LAMERS!!!! :mad:

Anyway, if you're creating a JK map, my advice would be: leave out the repeater and flechette gun because they are CRAP. The rocket launcher is acceptable because it's much easier to defend against.

Wide spaces are good, as well as walkways over precipices.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.