main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What makes a good MP level?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Having a good game and getting a high score go hand in hand for me. :D People should stop whining about guns/Push/Grip/Drain/etc. and learn to deal with them.

Nar Shaddaa Streets is definitely my favorite JO map so far. For JK, I think I'd have to go with Morpheus. The launch pads and the souped-up rails and thermals are just so much fun.

2. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Having a good game and getting a high score go hand in hand for me. People should stop whining about guns

[face_plain]

Remind me never to play a game with YOU! ;)

3. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Do you not understand the concept of "free for all"? I like Duel too, but I also like some nice guns action.

4. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    Yes, I understand the many weaknesses that are exploited by opportunist fools who just want to kill as many people as they can without a challenge. That's why I don't like the stlye.

5. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Jeff42: I knew I shouldn't have shown you those thermals or those rails!

damn morpheus rules! Though bib will fully disagree :p

6. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    It's a shame you can't use Humiliating fist action in JO.

7. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    " Did America McGee do Quake 1? I never knew that."

He did a few levels for Quake 1 along with John Romero and Tim Willits. He and Willits were the main level designers for Quake 2. It was after Quake 2 that he was fired from id Software.

American did the two best deathmatch levels for Q1. "The Bad Place" (DM4) and "Claustrophobopolis" (DM2).

In reality, there is no "best deathmatch level" because there is no particular deathmatch style. Some people enjoy mass frenzies (which can be fun and actually DOES require skill to continue to stay alive in) others enjoy a good hide-n-seek hunting type of level. A good deathmatch level lends itself easily to both.

Personally, in all my years upon years of online gaming, I have found I'm not too fond of exceptionally big levels. The average deathmatch games that I've been in rarely got more than 10 people total. I've played with a lot more and a lot less... but 8 - 10 seemed about average. I'm the kind of player that enjoys a good one-on-one fight and I don't like having to spend too much time looking for my next kill (unless I am really in a one-on-one deathmatch, where I am only one of two people on the whole server).

-Jomero

8. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    "It's a shame you can't use Humiliating fist action in JO."

You can kick people in the face. :D

9. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    What are you talking about? You can hump people after killing them with the Quake 3 engine. It's the classic humiliating action. Just use your crouch key vigorously.

10. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Err...
    Remind me never to play Q3A with you PB.

11. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    ... any Q3-based game. Including Jedi Outcast.

12. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    If you Force Push the body when you're done, you can claim to have a super snak.

13. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Even with Enlak_Mutilate?

I've got some great pics of Jan if you want them PB, showing her mid-rim off.

14. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Send them to me!

Too bad you can't Force Push or Pull dead bodies in MP. I need to talk to Raven about that.

15. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Considering Yahoo won't let me host and post, I've sent you an E-mail, enjoy PB. :D

16. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    The decisive qualities of a great MP level: (this is more directed at cs)

1) Wide variety of gun use
    A great level should not cater itself to one specific gun. The level should be universal enough for all guns to be effective almost anywhere in the map. As pb stated, cs_assault is a great example of this, it's large enough where one can use the sniper rifles, however it's small enough where automatics and pistols can be just as effective. Another great example of this is de_aztec.

2) The map should be complex yet simple
    The map should be simple in design yet have many little addons like boxes, tunnels etc to make it seem more realistic. For example de_dust in cs has a very simplistic design yet when one plays the game there are many boxes tunnels corners etc to make the level quite difficult.

3) The map should not be directed at a single team
    If the map is to be good it must be equal for both sides. An example of something unequal would be cs_seige for the terrorist side. The ct's MUST go through the garage to be able to even think about rescuing the hostages which makes it far too simple for the terrorists.

Anyways.... Good Luck (maybe I'll add more, must return to work)

17. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    Oh yeah! I'd forgotten what the topic was about...

18. Theedage

Theedage Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2001
    excellent.

19. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    So, who wants to talk about Pringles?

20. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    One you pop, you just can't stop.

21. Jedi-Corleone

Oct 28, 2001
    I have a football marked "Sports Tiger GRRRRR" that growls when I kick it.

I'm scared of it.

22. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    In a topic about MP levels we get.... Pringles.

I love Games. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.