main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What makes a hero

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Mastadge, Sep 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    A hero is made by his or her circumstance (often a villain) as well as by the perceptions of those observing. After all, if no one thinks someone's a hero, then they won't be considered a hero even if they really are one.

A hero is someone who can see what has to be done, or what they think has to or should be done, has the strength or the will to do it or die trying, and has the self to do it with dignity and upholding the society's ethics.

Of course, there are exceptions, but in the main that's it.

2. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
  3. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    A hero is a person who puts others above themself, and is willing to die for a total stranger.

4. BoutyPunkrAurra

Sep 21, 2001
    a hero is someone who is willing to die for something they beleive in.

5. LoveisSuicideSP

Apr 23, 2001
    So do you think the hijakers were heroes? They died for something they believe in.

6. BoutyPunkrAurra

Sep 21, 2001
    PLEASE not that again. i was actually referring to martyrs and te people hat died in the planes trying to save themselves. sorry about the confusuion. anyway...
    a hero is someone you can look up to. also they killed people for something they beleived in. not cool. if you kill people that rules you out of the heroe column.

7. LoveisSuicideSP

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be mean or anything. I'm just in a bad mood right now.

8. BoutyPunkrAurra

Sep 21, 2001
    dont sweat it. our whole country is in a bad mood right now.

9. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    A hero does good. A hero does evil, but always redeams. A hero dies saving something import. A hero lives to make something better for other. Yeah... thats what a hero is.

10. MaceWindu73

MaceWindu73 Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2001
    Funny, I'm in a college class that is discussing what a hero is. A hero's action has to have the 4 following attributes:

Diffcult
    Dangerous
    Important
    Life Altering/Changing

11. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Ummm...those four terms are completely subjective. Do they have to be those things to the hero, or to the observers? If someone's painfully shy and has bad blood pressure, and he decides that he's gonna finally talk to a girl. This could be difficult, dangerous, important and life changing to the person, but to any watcher he's just doing a normal everyday thing.

was actually referring to martyrs
    Ugghh...martyrs. Yeah, those people who, knowing it would kill them, randomly ran into the streets and yelled that they were christians simply so that they could be killed. Real heroic. Some martyrs are heroes, but more than anything else they're dead.

12. BoutyPunkrAurra

Sep 21, 2001
    excuse me? martyrs were people who, even though it broke the law (punishable by torture or death), still worshiped christianity. they were arrested some were tortured but still would not convert. women were stabbed by gaurds because they said they wouldnt convert. sorry, its not christian-like to run out in the streets and proclaim how great you are. i look up to martyrs because even in the face of death they were loyal to jesus. read some books, man. you dont know what your talking about.
    you know that girl at columbine who said she beleived in god as a gun was held to her face? then after she said she beleived in god her head was blown off? that is a martyr. hell, the jews in the holocaust were martyrs, probably the ultimate example. the only christians or jews who run through the streets proclaiming ow great they are are not really christian or jew-like. and you could at least try to be respectful and NICE if you dont agree with my religion. geeze.

13. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    martyrs were people who, even though it broke the law (punishable by torture or death), still worshiped christianity.

No, martyrs are people who die rather than renounce their beliefs, not people who practice even though it's not legal. And yes, for the first few hundred years of Christianity, even after I think it was Diocletian died and Christianity became sort of "don't ask don't tell," there were still christians, who were allowed to practice their religion, who'd go and say that they were Christian to the authorities so that they would be killed. It's one thing to be dragged out of your home, given the chance to convert or renounce, and then hold firm and be killed. It's another to go out into a society that isn't actively oppressing you and scream words that you know will kill you. That's suicide, albeit indirect.

14. BoutyPunkrAurra

Sep 21, 2001
    ok well im not reffering to THOSE idiots. im referring to the people that were dragged out of their homes. the martyrs that became saints.

15. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Glad we cleared that up.

Do you respect those pagan martyrs who were burned at the stake simply because they didn't want to be christian?

16. BoutyPunkrAurra

Sep 21, 2001
    of course! i know the catholics especially did horrible things to non-christian. we were not, and still are not, a perfect religion. the old popes were terrible and ordered alot of people killed while they were off with their mistresses having 12 kids. i mean seriousely, we were horrible. but we got better. i respect anyone who has been persecuted unjustly by christians.

17. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    suitably vague definition of heroism there. I would disagree that it precludes those voluntary martyrs from being heroes though.

To my reckoning the early Christians WERE heroic. Just because its not entirely conventional (Josie McCoy from the film Josie and the Pussycats, for example, is conventionally heroic), doesn't mean the enacter isn't a hero.

Yours

18. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Someone who is willing to go out and proclaim their religion, despite the fact that they would be killed, is heroic.

Christianity was tolerated then, not accepted, and if you were openly Christian, you were killed. But those people felt that they shouldn't have to hide their religion. That is heroic.

Do you not think that our fore-fathers, who fought Britain for the freedom to do things their way, were heroes? Yes, they could secretly do things the way they wanted in the colonies. They could've hidden their practices. But they chose to announce their beliefs, and fight for what they believed in. Many died, martyrs for the cause of freedom. Were they not heroes?

Here's a controversial example. Homosexuals. Their lifestyle is 'accepted', but realistically those who come out are often ridiculed and harassed endlessly once they do. Are they fools to do that? To live their lives openly, even though realistically their lives will be much more difficult because of it? I don't know if they're heroes, but they are pretty damn brave.

19. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Heroes are defined by the circumstances that cause them to act heroically. Otherwise they are normal, average, mortal, flawed human beings. It's when adversity hits that we see heroism in everyday people.

On the other hand it's also when adversity strikes that we see villiany or cowardice in everyday people.

So is heroism a product of environment or from something as unromantic as genetics?

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Christianity was tolerated then, not accepted, and if you were openly Christian, you were killed. But those people felt that they shouldn't have to hide their religion. That is heroic.

I'm talking about the time when they didn't have to hide their religion, because no one really cared. But then they'd go out into the street and yell, "I'm a Christian" knowing that making a big deal like that would kill them. It was a time when it was technically illegal to be Christian, but people really were free to practice and no one gave a rat's ass, until they were forced to act when the Christians started yelling about it.

21. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    I don't see how that makes them any less heroic though.

Yours

22. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    "But then they'd go out into the street and yell, "I'm a Christian" knowing that making a big deal like that would kill them. It was a time when it was technically illegal to be Christian, but people really were free to practice and no one gave a rat's ass, until they were forced to act when the Christians started yelling about it."

They were being open about their religion. There's nothing wrong with that. Part of being a Christian is to preach and tell others about God and Jesus. It's not enough to just meet with others and worship. And just the fact that it was illegal was worth fighting, as it has been since the beginning of time.

The apostles taught Christianity at a time when doing so could lead to death, as is shown in Jesus being crucified on the cross. He could have secretly gone around teaching God's word, but he didn't, even knowing that it would lead to his death. Same with John the Baptist. Are they not heroes?

23. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    A hero is one who stands up for what is right no matter the cost.

24. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    JWK: "A hero is one who stands up for what is right no matter the cost."

"Right" in your mind or mine? Or someone else's?

25. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I won't even get started on that point. In the debate thread I argued it for 15 pages or so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.