main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Buff, NY What makes a NR member? INPUT NEEDED

Discussion in 'Buffalo, NY' started by BobaChris12, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDanLevitan

BigDanLevitan Jedi Master star 5

Jun 26, 2005
    Thats the secret condition of membership......it's like going to chinese buffet in between events......

2. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Oh yeah. I forgot about that!

Okay.

In order to be a member of the North Ridge, you must successfully spend one night in a hotel room with Gil.

Gil is grandfathered in by default. :p

3. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    It was supposed to be a secret.....lol

4. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Post ot event threads before game\conversation threads. No response isn't acceptable

5. BPStoyle

BPStoyle Social Media Admin star 4

Jan 5, 2010
    Yeah, that's a good one. Even if it's an "I'm not sure, I'll have to check my schedule" it'll at least show you've seen the message.

6. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Hey sometimes I snore so loud I wake myself up! Since I quit smoking it's not as bad...

7. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    I'd like to add having some sort of means for the CR and VP to get in contact with you, be it email, texts, phone. Without it, there can be no communication.

8. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
  9. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Here is a compilation of ideas that were shared and agreed on at last night's meeting:

- a review process will takeplace once per year
    - membership will break down to Voting/Non-Voting Member (based on paying dues or not) and Active/Inactive Member based on qualifying with participation levels
    - members will be asked to attend and participate in 3 meetings per year
    - members will be asked to attend One low profile event (birthday party) and One large profile event (Bisons Game) per year
    - Members are required to respond to all event requests and threads. Yes or no is acceptable
    - Members who have not met requirements to attend events will be notified of their denial to attend via the NR Diplomats
    - the Chapter Representative/President will be granted discretion to review members on a case by case basis along with the Diplomats
    - requirements will be flexible to allow members to chose their level of activity in order to be visible and participate
    - members are asked to communicate so that the group is aware when they may be away for extended absences

I'll draft a document and we'll vote at the next meeting. I still need to review the absent responses and add any additional details.

10. myhale99

myhale99 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Looks good to me.

Just want to pass on a little advice from a person who has been doing some form of costuming for 14 years now (Though I dare say, no one will come to me and say that my Civil War garb is anything resembling of a costume.)

Through the years, I've seen many re-enacment groups come and go, memberships swell and dwindle. I've see why memberships swell and I've also seen why they dwindle. The main reason why they dwindle is some groups have taken the hobby so seriously and regimented it that they have take all the fun out it. Civil war re-enactors spend tons more money on their stuff than we do (eg, Springfield musket alone = $800) and the last thing we need to hear is the authenticity police coming around saying that our boots don't have the correct stitching or that our Irish accent may be lame, or what not. Once that starts happening, people leave. I for one am loosely associated with a group from central NY, the 28th NYVI. I can't make their meetings, drills, or local events because it's just too far for me to get there for a 1 hour stint (and believe me, I used to travel all the way to Newfane once a month for monthy meetings - why? because I was the Captain - I had to.) But, I do get to fall in with them anytime I want. I know my place, I don't throw my weight around, but they welcome me in the ranks at any time regardless. And when event coordinators tap me for command, they have no qualms placing themselves under my command. They do so because I let their company commander run the company and not me. I keep it simple.

So the advice is...keep it simple. Don't tribulize the momentous and complicate the obvious.

If people can only make a couple events a year, so be it. I don't care about swag or anything else. I do this because I love doing it and hanging out with everyone, swag or not. But, I'm a rare one as my wife puts it. I have balance - wife, 3 kids, a damn good job, housekeeping, Civil War and town/municipal parades, and Star Wars events. Not easy.

11. Loseytwin12

Loseytwin12 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 14, 2010
    Not sure if I qualify as one yet, since I'm still labeled as a newbie. Although, most of you guys know me on the forums well enough, so maybe I have shed my newbie status to become "the annoying kid" lol

12. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Also, I do have a nickname already. One that I don't like either, but I accept it. Thank Bryan:rolleyes:

13. BigDanLevitan

Jun 26, 2005
    Steve-O isn't that bad is it?

14. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    My nickname is Wondersteve lol, since my brother and I are the wondertwins

15. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Crazy how I've had 430 posts in just one month

16. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Here's one, you have to have seen all of the films:p . If not, you're not worthy lol I'm kiddind, because I know anyone can join, although they probably wouldn't join if they hadn't.

17. BobaChris12

Aug 30, 2002
    Ok Wondersteve. let's leave this thread for the serious discussion of the topic.

Move along. Move along....;)

18. Loseytwin12

Jun 14, 2010
    Sheesh, I didn't want to put in anything harsh from all the negativity I got from the not being on the forums thread LOL:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.