main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What makes Bail so trusting?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by r8hitman, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Why is it that Bail Organa feels like the jedi are righteous and something isnt right with the republic/empire?

Once he's heard that it's been a jedi rebellion, why does he feel the need to contact Yoda and try to WARN the jedi instead of fearing them like the rest of the senators?

Has he had a special relationship with the jedi from the very beginning (even before TPM) or what?

Because for him to just jump up and assume that the jedi are right and everyone else is wrong would require an awful lot of trust.:confused:

(or stupidity):p

What do you think?

2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    but even so, he is not Blind. there were a growing number of Senators , including Bail, that had grown fearful and Weary of all the Power Palpatine is gaining. plus when Bail sees the Jedi Padawan gunned down right in front of him , he sees what the score really is. the Empire is bad.

3. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah but if the jedi are evil and planning a rebellion, wouldnt the padawans be in on it too?

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    I think some of the deleted scenes would shed light on this. According to some of these scenes and the novelization, Palpatine had enacted harsh laws, often invading the privacy of the citizens of the Republic. The delegation of the 2000 was a group of senators who were disatisfied with Palpatine's leadership and feared his growing power; Bail was in this group.
    After all, we're talking about a leader who stayed in office beyond his term and held on to his emergency powers as long as possible.

5. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    According to some of these scenes and the novelization, Palpatine had enacted harsh laws, often invading the privacy of the citizens of the Republic.

I didnt know that.

So basically Organa was trying to get Palps out of office as bad as the jedi were?

I still wonder if the jedi and Bail had a "different" kind of relationship.[face_thinking]

6. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    well Bail obviously has a closer relationship with the Jedi than most Senators . When he learns about Order 66 ,and what happens during it, i think he realizes that this is not the actions of a Democracy. but an Empire. When Yoda say's that he has to go into exile, you know something just ain't right with the Republic .

7. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Maybe he's a friend of the Jedi and also of due process and justice?

8. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He was close enough and trustworthy enough to the Jedi to take Leia to raise as his adopted daughter after Padme bit the dust.

9. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    O.K. there's a scene they filmed that's been cut, with Mon Mothma, Bail and Padme presenting a petition to Palpatine, signed by 2000 senators, I think...I can't find the script in full right now :(

10. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    i think the deleted scene and the novel match up word for word...although im not sure if padme was in the deleted scene as she was in the novel

11. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    All 3 scenes...

81 INT. CORUSCANT-BAIL ORGANA'S OFFICE-DAY

PADME, BAIL ORGANA, and SENATORS MON MOTHMA, FANG ZAR, TERR TANEEL, and GIDDEAN DANU sit in Senator Organa 's office.

BAIL ORGANA: Now that he has control of the Jedi Council, the Chancellor has appointed Governors to oversee all star systems in the Republic.

FANG ZAR: When did this happen?

BAIL ORGANA: The decree was posted this morning.

PADME: Do you think he will dismantle the Senate?

MON MOTHMA: Why bother? As a practical matter, the Senate no longer exists.

GIDDEAN DANU: The constitution is in shreds. Amendment after amendment . . . executive directives, sometimes a dozen in one day.

BAIL ORGANA: We can't let a thousand years of democracy disappear without a fight.

EVERYONE looks at each other, a little worried at the implications of what was just said.

TERR TANEEL: What are you suggesting?

BAIL ORGANA: I apologize. I didn't mean to sound like a Separatist.

MON MOTHMA: We are not Separatists trying to leave the Republic. We are loyalists, trying to preserve democracy in the Republic.

BAIL ORGANA: It has become increasingly clear to many of us that the Chancellor has become an enemy of democracy.

PADME: I can't believe it has come to this! Chancellor Palpatine is one of my oldest advisors. He served as my Ambassador when I was Queen.

GlDDEAN DANU: Senator, I fear you underestimate the amount of corruption that has taken hold in the Senate.

MON MOTHMA: The Chancellor has played the Senators well. They know where the power lies, and they will do whatever it takes to share in it. Palpatine has become a dictator and we have helped him to do it.

BAIL ORGANA: We can't sit around debating any longer, we have decided to do what we can to stop it. Senator Mon Mothma and I are putting together an organization . . .

PADME: Say no more. Senator Organa. I understand. At this point, it's better to leave some things unsaid.

BAIL ORGANA: Yes. I agree and we must not discuss this with anyone, without everyone in this group agreeing.

MON MOTHMA: That means those closest to you . . . even family ... no one can be told.

They ALL nod their heads. PADME considers this for a moment.

PADME: Agreed.

---------------------------------------
    95 INT. CORUSCANT-PADME'S APARTMENT-DAY

PADME, MON MOTHMA, and five other Senators (BANA BREEMU, FANG ZAR. CHI EEKWAY, GIDDEAN DANU, BAIL ORGANA) sit in Padme's living room. C-3PO serves drinks to the guests.

PADME: We cannot let this turn into another war.

BAIL ORGANA: Absolutely, that is the last thing we want.

MON MOTHMA: We are hoping to form an alliance in the Senate to stop the Chancellor from further subverting the constitution, that's all.

PADME: I know a Jedi I feel it would be wise to consult.

BANA BREEMU: That would be dangerous.

MON MOTHMA: We don't know where the Jedi stand in all this.

PADME: I only wish to discuss this with one . . . one I trust.

GiDDEAN DANU: Going against the Chancellor without the support of the Jedi is risky.

PADME: The Jedi aren't any happier with the situation than we are . . .

CHI EEKWAY: Patience, Senator.

FANG ZAR: We have so many Senators on our side, surely that will pursuade the Chancellor.

BANA BREEMU: When you present the "petition of the two thousand" to the Chancellor, things may change.

BAIL ORGANA: Let us see what we can accomplish in the Senate, before we include the Jedi.

PADME takes a deep breath in frustration and disappointment.
    -------------------------------------
    116 INT. CORUSCANT-CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE-SUNSET

PALPATINE listens to a delegation from the Senate, which includes PADME and five other Senators: NEE ALAVAR, FANG ZAR, MALEDEE, SWEITT CONCORKILL, and MON CALAMARI. ANAKIN stands to one side of PALPATINE.

PALPATINE: I understand your reservations completely, Senator, and I assure you the appointment of Governors will in no way compete with the duties of the Senate.

PADME: May I take it then, that there will be no further amendments to the Constitution?

PAL

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    After Bail Organa replaced Bail Antilles in the Senate, he soon developed a relationship with the Jedi. He would often visit the Temple to speak to the Council, more so once the Clone Wars had begun. Bail is one of the few Senators who was not corrputed by the offer of power and presitege. In the years before his birth, Alderaan had birthed two great Jedi. So he knew that the Order had a long and distinguished history of nobility and honor.

Because he wasn't tainted by the shadow of greed, he was able to keep a clear and level head about him. After his encounter with the Clonetroopers at the Temple, Bail realized something was up and that the Jedi were being framed for something. Hence he sought to find any surviving Jedi, which he managed to do. And once he heard Palpatine's lies about the uprising and the declaration of the Empire, he knew that Palpatine was definately evil beyond a shadow of a doubt.

13. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I think aside from the deleted scenes and extra information from the book, you have to realize that in politics people always take someone's side. Be it on a whim or similar ideology, Bail took the side of the Jedi. On the flipside of this arguement yout could ask "Why did some Senators trust Palpatine?".

We actually face similar (but less drastic) choices when we vote. Who do you trust more to run the country, Kerry or Bush? (And no, I don't care to turn this into a political debate).

Carnage

14. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    I think in terms of the theatrical cut of the film - Bail sees a child gunned down in cold blood.
    He sees the truth at the Temple - there is no uprising, the Jedi are being exterminated in their own backyard, so to speak.

15. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    ^ Exactamundo.

That scene, for me, is the 'Birth of the Rebellion'.

Bail witnesses the outrages of the new Empire firsthand...and decides to do something about it.

16. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Yet how would Bail know that the Younglings werent part of the so called assassination attempt on Palpatine. The kid came out and started chopping up clones, how can Bail possibly see that the Jedi were not rebelling???? Maybe if the kid came out unarmed and the clones started shooting him, Bail then should know that the clones were evil, but since the kid came out killing hard to believe Bail knew at that point that the Clones were evil

Good topic because I was wondering that myself

17. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I was just going to post this very thing, but GiG got there before me. Well said.

18. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    His naivete and his experience with the Jedi.

19. PADMELUVA

PADMELUVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    he already suspects palpatine of corruption and dictator ambitions. then he sees a jeid youngling killed in cold blood.

20. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    He's worked with the Jedi in the past and has great respect for them. He saw the Temple burning and rushed over to see what he could do to help, only to find an armed garrison outside the doors with some story about Jedi Rebellion. Anyone who knows the Jedi philosophy knows this would be false. Add to this the clear threat the Stormtroopers make towards the Senator telling him to leave regardless of his position.

I still believe it is Zett's sudden appearance that both saves Bail's life, and inspires him to do what he can to save the remaining Jedi.

21. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    What he said^^^^

22. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Roland I like that evaluation, that Zett's sacrifice saves Bail's life. Interesting and it adds depth Bravo!

23. dorkstar

dorkstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2002
    Plus, Bail hears a clonetrooper say, "There's another one," or something like that. The Clones are clearly the hunters and not the hunted...

Furthermore, Lucas establishes throughout the film that Murder is "the wrong way" to go about things, and that arrest is a better option.

Bail sees the clones, who allege that the Jedi have rebelled or whatever, and rather than arrest the youngling, they outnumber and MURDER him.

Obviously, Bail thinks this is morally wrong. So he sides with the Jedi.

24. yoshifett

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, he's some more stuff from the OS about it:

A member of the Loyalist Committee, Bail Organa was deeply concerned with the stability of the Republic during the Separatist crisis. He realized that drastic measures were required if the Separatists continued to push the galaxy to the brink of war. While he recognized the need for the Senate to take ownership of the newly discovered Kamino clone army, he knew it was a political impossibility. Though it was not his recommendation, he stood by and watched as Palpatine was granted emergency powers to save the Republic from this dire threat.

It was with great dismay that he watched the Republic transform during the war years. The Senate willingly relinquished more executive powers to Chancellor Palpatine, all in the name of increased security. To criticize such actions would result in being branded a traitor, so Bail was careful to conceal his misgivings. He spoke of them only in a small audience of like-minded Senators.

During the Clone Wars, Organa befriended General Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the revered Jedi Knight served him well in that terrible conflict.

25. SithOWNtheJedi

SithOWNtheJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    The youngling was fighting cutting clones up?? What Bail actually saw was a Youngling coming out and cutting up clones, not the clones shooting an unarmed youngling. Imagine if you were a clone would you just allow a Youngling Jedi to cut you up because you cant get yourself to kill a youngling who is attacking you???????

Anyone is dangerous attacking you with weapon, Younglings included...and that is what Bail saw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.