main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What makes Empress Teta's actions in TOTJ any different from Emperor Palpatine's?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In the TOTJ's Hyperspace War Saga depicted in the series Golden Age Of The Sith & Fall Of The Sith Empire, Empress Teta plays a pivotal role and is seen as a heroic character.

Yet, in the start of the story she is leading an attack on a planet resisting her idea to unify the seven worlds of the star system she resides in. This planet is the last to hold out, she's already conquered the others. Teta's actions are taken for a good end but the people of this planet prefer to retain and fight for their independence and are crushed for it.

At the end her forces defeat the Sith in battle turning back their invasion, she then pursues them to Sith Space where the remainder of the Sith are destroyed. It seems the Or and Teta in particular, lead a genocide of the Sith. Yet teta's acts are seen as good.

Why is that? Is it because she had modest ambition limited to one system? That the attack on the Sith only destroyed their fleet and the actual Sith race remain on the planets of the fallen empire and the attack was in self-defence? Perhaps yet tyranny is forcing a people to do that which they do not wish, whether it is to a good end is irrelevant, tyranny is tyranny. Yet as this tyrant or empress assisted the Or she is seen as good.

What we know of Palpatine is that he supported strong actions that others saw as wrong, forced sytems to do what they did not want to and acted in similar ways to Teta but on a grander scale and with less cause. Is that sufficient to distinguish the two characters?

What do people think?

Jedi Ben

2. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    <walks away from potentially dangerous thread>

This foe is beyond any of you. Run !

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heheheh, so I'm a Balrog now PrinceXizor? :)

Jedi Ben

4. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, you certainly do not look like one, but your thread seems to have a nasty fire sword & whip...

Did you notice how everybody carefully avoided this ??? :p

YOU... CANNOT... POST !!! ;)

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh come now PX, you know what I'm up to:

I'm out to disprove the idea that tricky moral/political or philosophical have to end up in a flaming inferno.

I want to see what pepople make of an idea. I don't expect the thread to last, I can see differences between the two so...

But I'd like to see what other people make of it and how those opinions get expressed and responded to.

Yes it could be a flame war thread but I want to see if its possible to pose tricky Q's and NOT have that happen. Perhaps you're right and it's a doomed attempt but I still reckon it ought to be made!

Jedi Ben

p.s. in reply to your quote:

1. "I am a Jedi like my father before me" :)
    2. "I am a ranger, we enter the dark places where no one will enter, we stand on the bridge and no one may pass!" :)

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't know, Golden Age and Fall of were so terrible I barely remember them, and it took me multiple tries even to read them

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not even going to argue that point Mastadge. The art was bad, the plot over-ambitious and Teta's acts were disturbing given SW is supposed to be sympathetic to the ideas of rebellion and freedom.

That was the only angle I could see to make any interest in the stories. I can remeber them but don't own the stories any longer, same applies to Dark Empire: Empire's End, another stinker.

Jedi Ben

8. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I was kidding you, that's all. I agree with what you say, but nevertheless we should have to come up with a fix for this... Unfortunately, I don't know how...

(And yes, in certain ways, this could turn to a flame war... But I don't think it will, fortunately.)

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh I knew PX, see the p.s. for the fun response part of the post I replied to you with.

Hmm, I'd say the seeds of the solution are planted in my last paragraph, the scale of and cause for the actions will be crucial, but I think I'll let someone else attempt a detailed fix for there things get dicey...

Jedi Ben

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Never having read either of these comics, I'm going to have to attack your post directly. ;)

Now, let's assume that the seventh planet retained it's independence. The Sith show up-and BANG! planet #7 falls. All of a sudden, the Sith have a base in the system. Not a good thing, obviously. As for pursuing the Sith into their chunk of the galaxy, I'd compare this to us not stopping when we'd taken back Europe and the pacific from japan and Germany. You don't just stop fighting a potentially dangerous force just because they've been driven back onto their own turf. In the case of the Sith, this would be an insurance-for-the-future move; the Sith don't stop until they're dead. In other words, wipe them out. All of them.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Fraid not DB, here's the events:

Teta unifies the 7-planet system. On Teta's capital world a pair of hyperspace explorers decide a high risk gamble by jumping blind. They stumble on the Sith Empire who imprison them and the Sith Lords fight over what to do. The faction that wants to attack the Republic gains power and launches a plan to invade the republic by using the info in the explorers ship. they invade, striking on several fronts, catching a sceptical Republic off guard. The Republic rallies, lead by Teta who took the threat seriously. they drive the Sith back to their space and wipe out their entire fleet. Or so they think, for one ship bears Naga Sadow, the Dark Lord of the Sith behind it all to Yavin 4...

The problem with your proposal is that Teta's acts are way before the Sith Invasion. Pity, becase the way you lay it out, your idea could have worked...

Jedi Ben

12. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    Well...to approach it from a perspective consistent with the GFFA...

The TOTJ comics are supposedly tales from the holocron.
    The winners write the history books.

Since Empress Teta was sympathetic to the Jedi, her actions would be supported by the Holocron and its Jedi makers.

Something like the Pope giving his support to Philip of Spain's war against England.

13. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    palpy's evil. 'nuff said.

adious amigos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.