main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What meant the redlight slow-motion scene, shortly before Maul killed Qi-Gon?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Sudooku, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    I watched this scene several times. And I still have no certainity about it - only some speculations:

1. I can imaging that scene was to insinuate to the viewers that something remarkable dramatic will happen soon.

2. That was mostly from the perspective of the soon dying Qi-Gon. It is said, that people have strange visions before they die. Maybe that slow-motion was to show the force-sensitivity of Qi-Gon to anticipate his own end.

3. Darth Maul while spinning his double-bladed lightsaber by accident activated some security-mechanisms to prevent dangerous intruders to harm the inhabitants of the palace, while the throne-room was very close.

4. Darth Maul wielded some some dark-side-forces to part-time-freeze his two contrahents in combat to give himself a break to take breath and for striking some more cool poses to impress his enemies and us watchers.

What do you think is true of that or is it neither? I wish you could at least laugh about some points which are appearing to absurd to you.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought it was a randomly-placed security shield.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The energy shields are laser gates, aka electron walls. They're designed to protect vital areas of the plasma generators that powered the palace and the city. They have a five minute cycle of being activated before having a ten second recycling in which is it safe to pass between each wall. They're designed to keep intruders out which is why no one runs through them and why Obi-wan doesn't bother to use the Force to enhance his speed. They're also designed against weaponry such as blaster bolts and apparently, Lightsabers.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I thought it was simply to impede the Jedi's advance and to convey that Obi can't save Qui. Both did happen.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there is no slow motion scene in that part of the film. there is a part where qui-gon kneels and stills his mind to meditate. a jedi practices meditation for better concentration. it also shows the character of qui-gon who tries to feel the will of the force.

"The shields closed between them, separating the combatants momentarily, but also separated Kenobi from Jinn, over ten shields apart. Jinn took advantage of the break in the duel to crouch down and meditate, bringing himself in full tune with the Force."