main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What movie are you more excited about? VII/Yoda/Solo/Fett

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Feb 11, 2013.

?

Which Movie are you more excited about??

1. Episode VII-IX

89 vote(s)
    83.2%
  2. Yoda Stand Alone

12 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Han Solo Stand Alone

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Boba Fett Stand Alone

17 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. Darth Vader Stand Alone

14 vote(s)
    13.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I like to Imagine all these movies will be made eventually, you may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Lord Optimus likes this.
  2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Boba Fett isn't a "side character" either then? [face_thinking]

3. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm excited for everything but Han, I don't want to see a recast.

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    It'd be tough, for sure, to get used to the idea, but if a Solo pic is ever going to happen, there's really no other choice (and damn it, it's a story I want to see). :)
    All I can say is God help the casting director!

Lord Optimus likes this.
  5. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    May the force be with him.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  6. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Yes, but its different. Boba Fett isn't an "archetypal" side character; he's just a bounty hunter who shows up for a little whle not revealing all that much about himself. In this sense he's perfect for a spinoff because his character and personality remains relatively undefined (in the films) so we're prompted to want to know more about him. His role in the series, btw, isn't defined by his mysteriousness. It's defined by two things; He looks cool, and Vader has heard of him well enough to remind him not to disintegrate people. Thus he is a character ripe for further exploration.

Yoda, on the other hand, IS the wise, mysterious teacher. That's his entire designated function in the saga. He's memorable in ESB because he's everything Luke isn't at that point; confident, wise, powerful, and yes, small and green. Even the way he talks is a way to constantly remind the audience that he's mentally and philosophically five steps ahead of the hero. There is mystery to his character, but not the kind of mystery that needs to be solved. It is mystery that defines the effectiveness of his character. Everything about him is meant to serve his role as the teacher.

We've seen what happens when you take that role away from him. In the prequels, he's just kind of .... there. He doesn't really do much or have much purpose except to look worried about the future and get in a couple decent lightsaber duels. In fact, his strongest and most memorable moments in the prequels are when he's teaching people things. It's who he is, and if you try to make him the main hero, you lose his identity.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As I’ve said in many different places, I just don’t get the Fett-love. His defeat was played for laughs, and he went out screaming like a puppy’s momma ;)

His ineptitude in RotJ is only made more glaring in light of AotC. I could elaborate, but that might get Fett fans up in arms.

ChildOfWinds, HanSolo29 and krtmd like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So would you say that you're Fett up with Fett?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    i voted for EP VII - IX. These movies will take us into completely new territory and that unknown is very exciting for me. Given that Episodes I-VI were about the fall of Anakin Skywalker and his redemption through his son, i really dont know how the new trilogy will "tie in" to the previous movies. I'm hopeful that they will not only be great films, but also add additional meaning to the previous movies. Although poorly executed in my opinion, Lucas did paint Vader in a new light. I LOVED how we saw that the Jedi completely failed Anakin. His progression to the dark side seemed natural - and even up until the last possible moment, he was trying to do what was right. But Windu's rejection of the Jedi code and Palpatine's deception left anakin know choice... Anakin/Vader became a much more sympathetic character after that, and added depth to his character in EP IV-VI.

Granted, EP VII-XI will be sequels, so they can't really reshape the way we look at the previous movies in the same way; however, i beleive they somehow tie into the arc of Anakins fall and redemption in some way. I simply cant see these movies being made to follow the adventures of new Jedi post-Empire who just happen to have hte last name skywalker. There has to be some tie-in, and im fascinated by what it will be.

I'm not particularly enthused about any of the spin-offs... yet. We already know, more or less, the lives of Yoda, Boba Fett, and Solo. And i'm not talking about the EU - im sure nothing in the EU will be carried into the movies. We've already got confirmation of that from the writers. But the movies themselves give us enough information to know the "highlights" of what will happen in the spin-offs and thats just not very interesting to me.

This vader spin-off nonsense needs to stop. Disneys CEO has told us that the spinoffs will focus on "great Star Wars characters that are not part of the overall saga." Anakin/Vader is THE central figure of the Saga. he's not getting a spinoff movie. Deal with it.

Although i think its likely that we will get Yoda, Fett, and Solo movies, i dont think we can say we will get any of those for a certainty. All we know is that writers are working on treatments for those characters. At some point in the process, the writers and or studio execs could decide the script just wont work for any number of reasons. I'm sure Disney is exploring spin-offs for just about every character to appear in the movies. Its entirely possible that the first spin-off will end up being a character that hasnt even been discussed yet. I do think the time period between the end of Episode II and Episode IV is the most ripe for a spin-off. Id love to see a story that covers that period of time from an Imperial perspective. Perhaps we start with an Old Republic/Imperial officer/soldier who gradually realizes he's on the wrong side and joins the Rebellion and particpates in the destruction of the first death star. I want a Wedge Antilles movie, dangit! Since Wedge lived on Tattoine, there is even room for a Kenobi Cameo. But i think some of the same themes could be developed with the Han Solo spinoff. Although i initially hated the idea, partly due to the idea of another actor playing Han, i think his backstory has the most interesting opportunities for a "new" story to be told.

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The new trilogy. I don't know that I like the spinoff idea.

11. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, I was (and still am) hoping for a Jar-Jar spin off, one that would give the character a measure of redemption. And I think a really appropriate way to handle the Han Solo spin off that includes Harrison Ford would be to blend "Bladerunner's" narration with the opening to "The Hobbit." An older Han Solo could be talking to Chewie's nephew, for instance: "I know I told you about the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs, but... I may not have told you all of it."

12. EUdiscoverer1136

EUdiscoverer1136 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    Yoda's probably the only one who I am NOT apprehensive about. He's the most enigmatic character, who's past we know the least about. The other's I'd love to see, but I'd be less aprehensive if I didn't know that Disney's ONLY motivator for any of this is milking. Making money, money and more money. Lucas was interested, for better or worse.. in telling his story, more than anything. The difference has got me really worried about the franchise.
    That aside, I'd love to be able to see all of the above, be proven wrong, and enjoy them .

13. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    It is obviously Episode VII! How can it be otherwise? The Saga which we though would remain forever a 6 parts storie, will now expand to 9 films. This is huge. All of the spin-offs are sidelines... I hope Lucasfilm/Disney will manage all those projects carefully though. I heard the first spin-off might come between Episode VII and VIII I hope it isn't true... It would be a mistake to overshadow the new trilogy with sidelines films. All the ressources of Lucasfilm should be put on this trilogy.

EUdiscoverer1136 The SW franchise is known to make the most revenue out of his products since ANH and that will not change since George Lucas is no more in charge. If anything it will increase. That said I agree that Yoda is an enigmatic character but it was only a matter of time before we knew more about him even under Lucas. It was the same for Sidious before the Darth Plagueis novel was released. So, I should say I am apprehensive about a Yoda spin-off for this will be something never seen before. This is a winning formula for Lucasfilm/Disney since it will automatically draw the attention of the SW fandom and of a broader public. That's what any big franchise want. I am less optimistic about a Solo or Fett spin-off since the EU has already took care of these characters in various stories.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't mind a Yoda spin-off as long as it's not baby Yoda.[face_sick]

15. bighairedaristocrat

Feb 6, 2013
    The EU hasnt "taken care" of anything. Nothing that occurs in the EU is cannon. Its nothing more than "fan fiction" by professional writers. You can throw whatever you know about any of these characters from the EU out the window. The only thing we know about any of these characters is what we've seen/seen referenced in the 6 movies. Mara Jade does not exist. Exar Kun does not exist. Admiral Thrawn does not exist. None of the stories you've read about Solo or Fett happened. The writers for the spinoffs have already said they arent paying attention to anything from the EU and are writing "fresh" stories. So that might affect which characters youre most interested in seeing spin-offs for.

16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I agree with this completely

17. bighairedaristocrat

Feb 6, 2013
    You know if Lucas was doing a yoda spinoff, it would involve a baby yoda pooping his diapers. hillarious.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "**** my pants I did. How embarrassing, how embarrassing."

19. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Easy, but it's not listed here and it's probably the fullest concept of the spinoffs...Palpatine. He and Yoda should have very interesting backstories IMHO. Palpatine's could get as dark as Disney wanted to.

20. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    Couldn't he be the teacher and the main hero? Wouldn't a 100 year old Yoda still be super wise

21. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    If people wanna see a Kenobi movie while he's on Tattooine, then how about a Yoda movie while he's on Dagobah as well?

22. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    I really hope they make some type of old republic movie/trilogy more than anything maybe the creation of the jedi/republic/sith Darth Bane Kotor or something else? Theres so much more possibilities in that era.

23. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    But why? That loses all the power of seeing where the character has ended up when we catch back up with him in ESB. We don't need to see him building his treehouse. We don't need to see him exploring the cave for the first time. We definitely don't need to see him slowly slipping out of sanity.

Maybe I'm the only person who doesn't see the need for every nook and crany of the SW universe put to screen. If there is a story worth telling in a feature film, then fine. But if not, we don't need to see it. Indeed, we need to be wary of anything that could retroactively diminish the story that's already been told.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  24. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

What about a movie about Kenobi trying to visit Yoda on Dagobah in secret - to learn how to commune with Qui Gon??

=D=

-C

25. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    No, no, Obi-Wan visits Yoda as a force hologram and they have a tea party in his little hut. I don't see how it could be anything other than an academy award winning blockbuster.

clone3131 likes this.