main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL What Movie Did you last see?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by TheExecutor, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Eddie Izzard is absolutely brilliant. Did you watch the French concert on that DVD, too? He does a great bit in it about "Steve" Vader.

Speaking of absolutely brilliant, we watched The Godfatehr on DVD last night.

-Le Penguin
    "Whereas we have the European Union, which is the cutting edge of politics in a very extraordinarily boring way."

2. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Wached Empire Strikes Back (the original) on Laser Disc. I sowed it after we Had our game.

3. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Ohhh, did I ever see it synasp! I loved every minute of it's 2 1/2 hours. I wasn't ever bored and I was involved the whole way through... except for that lame ending. Regardless, it was awesome!

[image=http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Bow.gif]

4. Mapman

Mapman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    "Do You Have a Flag?"

"It's covered in Jam, It's all Sticky"

"Do you like bread, I've got a french loaf"

My wife and I just saw Eddie Izzard down in the city about a month and half ago. I almost fell asleep. It was good, but not as good as the shows on tape/dvd in my opinion. Didn't help that we had HORRIBLE seats.

5. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Yes, I did watch the French concert as well... loved the "Steve Vader" bit! :)

(from the main "Dress To Kill" show)

"Sir? The Rebels are here... they have a flag."
    "Damned clever of them!"

So all that Luke and Han needed to do to get the Princess out was bring a flag and claim the Death Star for the Rebellion.... LOL!

6. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    X2
    And my eyes have finally stopped bleeding from the Holiday Special.

7. Mapman

Mapman Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    T3- not as good as expected for all the hype.

Santa Clause 2- laughed my holiday butt off..

8. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Big Fish

what a movie!

9. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I just got back from seeing The Cooler, which I fairly liked. Before the film, there was a promo showing Trilogy Tuesday throughout the country at various AMC Theaters, including Chicago.

Phil

10. ProfessorMurder

ProfessorMurder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    Rented "Topkapi" from Neflix. Weird, proto-Mission Impossible heist film. Features one of the most grotesque nymphomaniacs in film history... naturally, Maxamillian Schell nails her.

-Professor Murder
    "Radio - suckers never play me
    On the mix - they just O.K. me"

11. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I saw Cold Mountain this week. I really liked the movie, and if you like Nicole Kidman naked, there's a treat for you too.

12. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Just watched S.W.A.T. Pretty good movie, especially with my main man, Samuel L.!! He's one bad...........watch yo mouth!!

13. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I saw Bad Santa on Monday. I found this hilarious and also bizarrely touching, in its own twisted way. I highly recommend this one. It's better than Elf, which I thought was charming but not great. (Although Elf does have a sequence of mounted NYC policemen chasing Santa that parodies the Wringraiths from LOTR. Both are from New Line Cinema.)

Phil

14. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Underworld on DVD It rocks! wow look out Neo! Death Dealer is on your tail!

15. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    O Brother, Where Art Thou on DVD.

"Ain't this place a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere."

16. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Finally got around to seeing "A Galaxy Far, Far Away..."

In a nutshell, it sucks. I don't think the director was trying to make fun of SW fans, tho. He just didn't make a good film, and subsequently, everyone involved ends up looking bad: the fans, the detractors, the reluctant celebrity interviewees, etc. His editing style and choice of interview subjects suggest a willingness to lump not only all degrees of SW fan together, but to lump all aspects of sci-fi/fantasy/comic fans together.

There's more to say about the whole thing, but it's really not worth the time... what else _can_ one say about a film that attributes the Hero's Journey theory to a FOX executive?

-Le Penguin,
    who's featured in the film for about 30 seconds, looking every bit as haggard as I remember. There's also a brief shot of the CF's autographed t-shirt

17. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    The indy triolgy on DVD. The DVD version is the way to go!!

JediLars

18. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    DVD: "The Office" from the BBC. It may have been mentioned here already (I'm too lazy to check) but it's worth mentioning again. High-level British comedy with the better aspects of Dilbert (such as they are/were) mixed in.

One warning: I consider myself damn good at understanding various Brit accents pretty easily (raised on Python, noonch) but thanks to the mockementary format of the show, even I was playing catch up at first. Subtitles are recommended for the first episode or two.

-Le Penguin
    "He's put my stapler in a jelly again."

19. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Saw LOTR3, which I thought ran 20 minutes longer than it should have.

Then I saw Paycheck, which was actually not half bad. Except for Uma. Could someone please tell me the allure of Uma? I do not find her attractive at all.

20. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    My theory: she was really hot in Dangerous Liasons and people just have trouble letting go.

Plus, she was in a Tarantino movie. As you know, the laws of "We'll Do The Thinking For You" Hollywood state that Tarantino and his associates must be considered "hip" and "cool" whether it makes sense (Walken) or not (Travolta.)

On a better note, I just got back from Fight Club at Music Box. Damn fine movie. How does Helena Bonham Carter manage to go from hot to not in every other scene?

-Le Penguin
    "This is a chemical burn."

21. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    My friend burn me a copy of Furi Kuri aka FLCL! It was a blast all to watch all 12 episodes with out commercials.

22. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    The Office has already been mentioned here, but I've just finished watching the second series and wrapup specials, and they merit the series a second mention. What started out as an uncomfortably funny mockumentary evolves into a truly disturbing (sometimes painfully uncomfortable) character study while still managing to be very funny. The events in the last half of the Christmas special evoke more emotion from the previous 4+ hours of the series than a show like "Friends" can manage after almost a decade of attempted character development.

-Le Penguin
    "I was thinking, will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark?"

23. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Stupid double-post...

24. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    -At Music Box: "The Fog of War", a phenomenal film about Robert McNamara. If only it had been made a year earlier... some of the orchestrators of the current war in Iraq could've learned a thing or two from their predecessor.

-On DVD: "The Good Thief", a damn good sorta-remake of "Bob Le Flambeur." One of the better heist films of recent years.

-Le Penguin
    "Empathize with your enemy."

25. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I saw Seabiscuit after work on Thursday night. It was a decent movie, but a bit formulaic and dull at times. William H. Macy's appearances were cool. I don't really think it's good enough to warrant a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.