main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"What Movie Have You Recently Seen?" Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by DarthWormie, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Well, the Academy Awards were last night, and for the first time in quite a while I did not see a single "Best Picture" nominee before the show. I do plan on seeing "Crash" and "Walk the Line" though.

That being got me to thinking, what movies have you guys recently seen? Did you like it? Would you recommend it? Post a review and let us what you thought.

I'll start off. Last night (while the awards were on) I watched "Bubble" It's an independant movie made by Steven Soderberg that got alot of buzz when it was released a couple of months ago. The reason being it was the first mainstream movie that was released in the theaters, on pay-per-view and on DVD at the same time.

It's about two friends who work at a small doll manufacturing plant in the Midwest and how the dynamic of their relationship changes when a new employee is hired. It's a fairly short movie (73 minutes) with a small and 'unknown' cast. Overall I liked it alot, but it did tend to drag a bit. That may have been purposely though. The end did leave me with a few questions regarding why the chain of events in the movie happened. I still have a couple of different reasons bouncing aroun in my head.

On my personal scale of 1-5 I'd give it a 3.5

2. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    The last movie I saw was Gone in 60 seconds. I definitely liked I have it on dvd, but I was forced to watch the edited tv version since I was away from home.

The other movie I saw recently was Super Troopers. That was pretty funny. I do believe we watched it at Chris's on Labor day weekend, but I didn't see the whole thing for whatever reason.

3. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    The last movie other than RotS I saw in a theater was "Seabiscuit". If you like sports movies and/or true stories, I recommend this one. I loved how all of the main human characters were flawed in certain ways, and how the horse brought them together. Tobey Maguire, especially, gave a good performance as "Red" Pollard, Seabiscuit's regular jockey.

4. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    The wife and I watched 'Mr & Mrs Smith' Friday night. I wasn't sure what to expect sitting down to watch it, but it wasn't bad at all. Moved along at a real good pace and the action was great. Just make sure you bring your ability to suspend belief for about 2 hours. Pitt plays a really good knucklehead in this one. Vince Vaughn shows up just long enough that he doesn't become annoying.

Still have 'Walk the Line' sitting on top of my DVD player waiting to be watched. Hopefully tonight.

5. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    My wife and I just took our son to see Ice Age 2: the Meltdown. For anyone who saw the first one I would have to say that you will enjoy this one too! Another great story with the same characters returning as well as a few new additions that make the story even better.

6. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    My little guy loved the first Ice Age movie, but unfortunately he has a severe case of the 'Jimmy Legs" and I doubt we could get him to sit still in a theater seat for 90 minutes to watch the sequel. I guess we'll have to wait for it to hit DVD.

My wife is completely facinated with the "Scratch" character or whatever that little squirrely looking guys name is. The scary thing is he looks just like her angora/tiger mix cat named Goober. So much so that the first time my son saw Ice Age he stuck his finger against the tube and said "Goober". :D

7. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Ahhh the good old "Jimmy Legs" days... glad those are over. Unfortunately I've got bad news for you Mike, they don't get any slower as they get older. My son just turned 10 and he's giving me a run for my money. Of course it doesn't help that he's the size of your average 12-14 year old either [face_plain].

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    This isn't about a movie that I've already seen but instead it's about a movie I can't wait to see!

The new X-Men movie, the Last Stand, has updated its website with a lot of new content. Including an interactive mutant library and a link to what looks like a new trailer or some type of webclip (hasn't been released yet though).

Here's the link.

9. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I've seen some stills from this recently and was floored that beneath the Beast's blue makup is Kelsey Grammer :eek:. I liked the first two and will probably see this one as well, most likely when the DVD hits.

I haven't seen anything of note recently. I have "Walk the Line" sitting on top of my DVD player where it's been for at least the last month. Maybe I'll break that out this weekend.

EDIT:
    Looks like Star Blazers is finally going to be hitting the big screen:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060424/film_nm/starblazers_dc_1

10. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    In case anyone is interested in that movie coming out this summer about the guy in blue and red pajamas there's a new trailer up online that looks great!!! I was a little skeptical about this movie at first (not that I didn't plan on seeing it from the very beginning) and wasn't totally convinced after seeing the teaser trailer that came out a few months ago. However after seeing a fan-made trailer generated from storyboard art and seeing this new trailer now I must say that I am absolutely dying to see this movie when it comes out. What's even better is that there will be an IMAX version with bonus material not shown in the standard theatrical release.

There's also a new trailer out now for the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie: Dead Man's Chest! Just watched it, after waiting almost 20 minutes for it to cache into memory, but it was "irrevocably" worth it ;).

11. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Really, thhe IMAX version is going to have more footage? I wonder how that's going to work since when AOTC was released on IMAX they had to go in and cut out some stuff since IMAX movies can't run more than simewhere between 1:45 and 2:00 hrs. Can't remember what the exact time length is.

As for the Superman movie, I don't think I'll be seeing it. At least not in the theater. I do hope it is a good movie, its just the actor they chose doesn't seem to give off the proper 'Supes" vibe. Plus I think the new suit bites the big one. The costume designer did a bad job with it.

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    IMAX movies can't be more than 2 hours long, they chopped about 15-20 minutes off of AotC to accomplish this.

Actually, I need to correct myself. The IMAX version will be the same length as the standard theatrical release (no idea what that is yet) but 20 minutes of footage will be converted to 3D. What exactly that footage is nobody knows but that is the difference. Here's the link to the article.

That's the same reason I was so skeptical at first. The first few pictures that were released of Brandon Routh in the Superman suit didn't really impress me, I thought he was a bit too small to be Superman and that maybe going with such an unknown wasn't a good idea. But after seeing the trailers, especially the latest one, I changed my mind. He definately showed some of the Clark Kent-ism's that Christopher Reeve was able to pull off and still had the same amount of qualities while wearing the supersuit. Speaking of the suit, I like it. Sure it's not the exact same thing that every other Superman has worn, but that's what makes this new generation of superhero movies different and in some ways better. If control over the superhero costume was held too tight then Wolverine would have been wearing a yellow and blue costume with mask, Batman's suit wouldn't be bulletproof, and Spidey's web would still come from cans instead of from his wrist.

13. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    i've read that the latest IMAX no longer has that 2 hour restriction. they made some changes and as long as the cinemas updated their equipment or somn like that, IMAX can, indeed, show longer films.

14. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    I finally watched Serenity on Sunday. I had purchased the dvd in a 2 pack for $10 and I think it was worth the purchase. I think it was a pretty good movie. May not compare to the early SW movies but it could beat out the newer ones. lol Now I just need to get the tv series on dvd so I can see all of them. I saw some at Chris's house last year and thought they were cool.

15. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    I saw the Da Vinci Code yesterday. The movie was o.k. but the book was better than the movie. :)

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Who has time for books now adays? :rolleyes:

17. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    My wife just took our son to see "Over the Hedge" and they both loved it! I was talking with another parent from my sons scout troop and he said it was a great movie too. It continues the tradition of recent animated movies for kids that still have a few things in them for the adults to laugh about without being too crude for the kids to hear, most of which ends up over their heads anyway.

18. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    Who has time for books now adays?
    True, there isn't as much time for books these days, but it was a good book. :)

19. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    What are these 'books' things you people are talking about?

:p

20. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    I agree that the Da Vinci Code book was better than the movie.

21. hchristensenfan

Jul 24, 2003
    What are these 'books' things you people are talking about?
    A book is a object that has pages with words on them that tell a story. hehe :p

22. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    I saw X3 today and it was pretty good. Some surprises along the way. If you go to see this in the theaters still until the credits are done. Something kinda interesting there.

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Thanks for the heads up on staying behind after the credits! I'm going to try and get out this weekend to see X3.

24. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Are there pictures in these 'books'? If not, how can one follow the story? Words are way too confusing.

25. JEDIMASTER6872

JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2004
    last few movies I have seen were :
    XMEN-3: The Last Stand -- HOLD THE LINE !!!!
    The Da Vinci Code - now to wait for the prequel ANGELS & DEMONS ( in pre-production !!)
    Mission Impossible 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.