main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"What Movie Have You Recently Seen?" Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by DarthWormie, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I saw X3: the Last Stand last night and have some mixed emotions and lingering questions about this one. Overall I thought it was a great movie. Lots of action, a good story, and we finally got to see more mutants in action besides the standard characters. I won't go any further here but if anyone wants to be spoiled I'll probably have a review on my MySpace blog later on today ;).

2. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I had some of the same feelings when I saw the movie. I liked it thought it was good. Like you said the action was good, story was good, etc. just not sure if they gave enough to some of the new mutants though. My favorite line is "I'm the Juggernaut b#$%h!" I saw that all the time at home and my wife will start in on me and I will say "Who do you think you are? Don't you know my name. I'm the Juggernaut" and she will finish the line. It is funny.

3. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    With the new Superman movie due out in a couple of weeks is anyone planning on seeing it? Are you going to go to an IMAX screening?

I want to go to see it in IMAX myself, but it will probably have to wait a week or two. The new Pirates of the Carribean movie will be out shortly after too. Ought to be an interesting weekend!

4. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I think I've finally decided that I'll see Superman on the big screen. The trailers they've been showing look so great, even with the pretty-boy Supes and his awful looking costume. Doubt I'll see it on the IMAX screen though. I'll probably wait out the first two weeks before seeing it though. That way I can use my free movie passes to do so :D

5. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Anyone planning on seeing Superman tonight at a midnight showing? If so, please post a review. The local and national reviews have started leaking out and as usual with a 'Summer Blockbuster' they are mixed. Locally the Globe gave it a good review and the Herald did not.

Also, if anyone was planning on seeing it in IMAX, beware. I've just noticed on the advertisements that they are not showing the entire movie, only 'selected scenes'.

6. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    EXTRA NOTE: For anyone who posts a review please don't forget to throw a SPOILER WARNING in if you are going to mention anything specific that happened in the movie. Unlike with RotS I have managed to stay spoiler free with this movie and I'm trying my best to keep it that way now that we're in the home stretch.

I think that the mentioning of the 'selected scenes' from the IMAX showing of Superman Returns is for the 20 minutes of footage that will be shown in IMAX 3-D. There's an explanation here.

EDIT: Looks like the 2 hours window that was the time standard when AotC came out is no longer the case. According to Yahoo Movies, SR is 2 hours and 34 minutes long. The page that you go through to purchase tickets online said the movie is 2 hours and 24 minutes long. So either there's no limit to how long the movie is or the cap is 2.5 hours and they just cut one scene.

7. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    That whole 'running time' for a movie varies depending on who you ask. Sometimes they include the final credits in the total time, sometimes they don't. I remember when the different incarnations of ANH were released on VHS each one had a different listed running time and people were pulling the hair out of their heads trying to figure out what had been added and/or removed.

I meant to post a Spoiler Warning request and simply forgot, my bad. If anyone who does see it and wants to give their .02¢ should probably do so by leaving all potential spoilers out all together. I already know the general plot, but I would like to have the deetails revealed to me when watching it.

Thanks!

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Just in case anyone here hasn't already seen it, there is a teaser trailer out for Spiderman 3. All that I can say after having seen it is OMG :eek:!!!!!!!! I can not wait for this movie to come out! It's great that Sony released the trailer but at the same time it's a little mean to release a trailer when the movie isn't due out for another year [face_frustrated]. Guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it by watching the trailer over and over again.

9. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Funny you mention it. I just finished watching it after stumbling across it on mac.com. Very cool indeed. There were a couple of scenes that looked a bit on the lame side but the snips of Hob-Gobblin and Spidey in the symbiotic suit were awsome.

10. JEDIMASTER6872

JEDIMASTER6872 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2004
    *pokes head in *
    Eragon --

rip off of SW, LOTR, and Dragonriders of Pern series...

it was ok.. but far too much a combo of the list above.. went for special effects, and dragons alone..

*exits head out of doorway*

11. hchristensenfan

hchristensenfan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2003
    Hey! I've read the book and all I could think of was Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Harry Potter.

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    "hchristensenfan... Now that is a name that I have not heard in a long time."
    Long time no see :D.

13. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Anyone seen (or planning too) Rocky Balboa? I'm on the fence. I've seen several good reviews nationally but the local papers were kind of harsh.

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I really want to go see this movie. I was listening to the radio the other day and heard an interview with Stallone where the DJ mentioned what he felt was the most ironic was that of all the people that have died in Rocky's life (Mickey, Apollo, Adrian) the one person that's still around is the alcoholic brother-in-law [face_laugh].

15. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    wanted to go see the fountain after i finished my fall semester, but it pulled out of the cinema (even the 2nd run ones) =(.

so i have to wait for it. i can't really think of any film i wanna' see on the big screen right now. i can rent most of it. any epix coming out in january?

16. Garrett_Skymaster

Garrett_Skymaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 22, 2006
    I saw Night at the Museum. An odd idea that was well executed, and funny. It seems like something that would be horrible, but it was actually really good. I recommend it to anyone who likes history, museums, or just a good time.

17. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    been reading reviews for children of men. sounds awesome. some renoir great french film classics are playing at both brattle and MFA. hopefully i'll make it there one of these days =).

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I went and saw Night at the Museum over the weekend and thought it was a great movie! My wife was a little skeptical going in but was pleased when she left too. It was nice to finally see a quality viewing of the Fantastic 4 trailer as well. The only one I was able to find (and be able to get to watch) was on MySpace and it looked horrible.

19. slappy

slappy Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2003
    I just watched Way of the Gun for the first time. Campy ending (but how else could you?) but that was OK because the opening had me laughing for the whole film.

20. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Hey guys....

We watched "Hoodwinked" last night. I thought it was a riot! Definitely a different take on the story of Red Riding Hood... great watch for those of you with kids!

Tonight, I plan on finally seeing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Can't wait to rent Grid Iron Gang either; it comes out on video today!

21. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    We got a freebie copy of 'Hoodwinked' a few months ago from a friend and believe it or not, my 4 year-old son hated it and he loves animated movies. I think he tried to watch it for about 20-30 minutes and he finally gave up and went off to play. When I asked him if he wanted to finish watching it he said 'No.' :) I've also asked him a few times since then if he wants to watch it and his reply has been 'No, Hoodwinked is all done.' [face_laugh]

As for 'adult' movies, really haven't seen anything fo the first time in a while. Watched 'Dodgeball' and 'Supersize Me' recently, that's about it though.

22. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Well, rented Grid Iron Gang over the weekend. It was not just another "let's get a team together movie". It was a great movie and I definitely recommend it!

Can't wait to rent "The Marine" this coming weekend!

23. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Big John Cena fan are you? ;)

Has anyone out there seen 'Pan's Labrynth'? I've been hearing nothing but good things and rave reviews about it. Seen some previews and it looks a bit on the spooky side though, kind of like a very dark 'Narnia'.

24. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    The next two movies that I want to go see is Ghost Rider and 300. GH will help hold me over until Spidey 3 and Fantastic 4 comes out and 300 just looks like it will be a great way to kill off a couple of hours!

25. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Big John Cena fan are you?

Actually, I prefer Batista when it comes to wrestling. :cool:

I am interested in The Marine because the reviews were good, the previews looked awesome and my room mate is a huge wrestling fan and thus, he read all the articles about Cena's training (he actually trained with a Marine Corp) leading up to the making of the movie.

I am looking forward to renting The Departed as well.

Summer is looking great for movies... Pirates 3, Spidey 3, Shrek 3, Harry Potter 5 (can you tell I have kids? [face_laugh] )...

I agree that Ghost Rider and 300 look fantastic as well! Going to be a great year for movies, I think!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.