main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What movies have you seen in the cinema this year?

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by KaineDamo, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    The threads here are boring the heck out of me. So lets talk about films that have been released this year.

First i'll talk about The Village. I don't know about over there in Amer-ika, but over here opinions be real mixed on this film. It's a real love-hate type film. You either love it or you hate it. I love it. What a great character driven story. And very clever too. What you have to realise once you've watched the film (SPOILERS I GUESS!!) is that the story is not based around the monsters. The story is about these people, in this village. The monsters are secondary. I found this film to be heart warming, hardly a "horror" at all. Though I was on the edge of my seat at times. One problem I would have with the film is that, horror wise, it seems to be building up and up and up, but (horror wise) nothing really happens. This may be the thing that disappoints alot of people. I was more interested in the characters, and their relationships. Lucious Hunt and uh... the blind girl. Very loving relationship. I love the music in the film. Did you catch the themes of tragedy in the film, and how even though the elders built this place of innocence, tragedy still takes place and they have to learn to live with that? Great stuff. Really enjoyed this film.

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I don't get to see movies in the theaters as often as I like, mostly because it's hard to find baby sitters for when you have to do something, let alone when you want to.

I did see The Village...I like M. Knight's films, so I was looking forward to seeing this, but went ahead and read about the spoilers on it well before seeing it, and while that probably ruined things for me, I don't think I would have liked it much anyway.

Saw Spiderman 2 & Bourne Supremacy, liked both. Fun movies, but not life altering by any stretch of the imagination. Also saw Jersey Girl and liked it...not as bad as people make it out to be, but I could relate to things a bit better since my daughter was less than a year old at the time.

Was also really looking forward to Troy, and while some things were great, other parts drug on, and the cheesy "remember my name" theme was overdone and lame to begin with.

And before that, Mystic River. Fantastic acting, but a bit overhyped imho. It's biggest flaw is the ending that should have stopped on the street with Bacon & Penn, but no, they had to go do everything else after that...the conversation with the wife, the parade...never had I wanted to buy a dvd and scratch out a track or two. I also had a problem with the resolution of the crime at the center of the story...too contrived and treated too much like an after thought. All that said, there were some great twists and turns in the first 80% of the movie...fantastic acting all around and well deserved oscars.

My brother lent me the DVD of the Korean film, Musha the Warrior. That was pretty kick ass movie I knew nothing of.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm not sure if Big Fish was this year. But I saw it and loved it. Also when I met Tim Burton this summer I told him that I loved it and what a great film it was.

I saw I, Robot because I'm an Asimov fan and wanted to have a bad time.

-Seldon

4. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    New house mate?

5. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    ROTK
    Van Helsing
    Shrek 2
    POA
    Harold and Kumar
    Dodgeball
    Anchorman
    F911
    Without A Paddle
    Spidey 2
    Ghostbusters
    Village

There are quite a few more that aren't jumping to mind.

6. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 2002
    I don't get to go to the movies much either. this year I've seen

ROTK
    Harry Potter 3
    Troy
    Spiderman 2
    Without a Paddle
    Resident Evil 2

Without a Paddle was great and so was RE2

7. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    The Passion of the Christ and Spiderman 2. I don't get to the movies anywhere near as often as I used to.

8. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    Jim, is Passion worth renting??? I've been debating renting it, but I just don't know. I hate having to read subtitles

9. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Since I'm part of the internet marketing team on it, I say buy it.

But seriously, I think it's definitely worth renting.

10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I've not got ten to go to the movies this year. *sniffles* It sucks too cause I work at a video store. But I did see Big Fish and yes it did come out this year in theaters it was the end of January. And it was an excellent movie. And if I could of gone to the movies I would of so seen Spidey-2 and Shrek 2.

~PK~

11. Dark_Jedi_Kam

Jul 12, 2002
    oh snap, I forgot that I saw Shreik 2 also

i guess I'll rent passion this weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.