main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What nods to the PT do you want to see in TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

What if they showed Coruscant using OT/ST-type visuals rather than relying on the PT's heavy CGI look?

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    McQuarrie did paint "Had Abbadon", which became Coruscant. They could use those concepts for present-day Coruscant.

Mange and Luminous Beings Are We like this.
  3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What if the new Jedi Academy had statues of old Jedi Knights like Qui-Gon, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan etc?

4. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001

Coruscant isn't vital to Luke, Han, and Leia. But Star Wars (at least the first 6 episodes) isn't about Luke, Han, and Leia. The first 6 Episodes are about The Republic, its transformation into the Empire, Palpatine, and the two generations of Skywalkers who had significant impact on him/his Empire. Looking at it that way I feel like it's not a stretch by any means to say that Coruscant is the central location of the Saga.

Of course the more Episodes they make the longer the story gets and what it's really about can change overtime. If they keep making Episodes then eventually Luke, Han, and Leia will be minor characters.

5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I would love to see Padawan braids on the big screen again. Also having some sort of status or grade level if there is a Jedi Order/Academy makes sense.

6. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    I really like this idea! There have been some great ones throughout this thread:

1. PT alien species
    2. Older ships ie. Junked Arc-170
    3. Courasant as a quick glimpse

I would like references to:
    1. Padme as Luke and Leia's mom. Maybe Leia was recognized by Naboo
    2. Luke to mention that the combo of Anakin, Obi-wan, and Yoda gave him guidance for a while.

And to me die a happy man a reference to Ashoka!!

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  7. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    There would be fewer and fewer references but they would continue to be major historical figures. Like Revan and bastillia Shan. All of them were pivotal to major historical events. I think that is what you ment but I just wanted to clarify.

8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a good one.

By the way, I wasn't arguing Coruscant isn't important to SW (a Straw Man), but that it might not be necessary to Episode 7. I'm sure we'll see or hear something about it at some point in the ST.

9. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Thanks, I will be getting the books later in the year. I like learning about abandoned ideas and things like that. :)

My response to your remarks in the " ( ) " is that I love how RotJ turned out. :)

Okay, but your previous post did mention the the OT gang specifically.

I disagree that Coruscant is vital or necessary to the overall story. It is important, and as a concept and design shouldn't be wasn't, and I'd like if it was included in TFA, it doesn't have to be. I'd like to see city appear at some point in the film, because I don't want the look of TFA to be restricted to wilderness environments or frontier settlements, but that also isn't a big deal.

Yes, that is it exactly. ;) - though I disagree with the inclusion of Legends characters :p ;)

10. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Sorry stacked posts

11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I'm of the opinion that any new order would eschew the grandeur of the old. One criticism of the Jedi at the fall of the Republic is that they had become too focused on themselves. I can't see Obi-wan and Yoda advising Luke to reconstruct such large and pretentious temples. I'd expect more grounded, modest constructs.

Dra--- likes this.
  12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Good point. Some fans want the ST to repeat the "grandeur" of the PT despite the fact that Lucas actually meant much of it as an implicit criticism of decadence.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh, so you've seen TFA then?

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    While Coruscant was the least problematic cg visual in the PT, I also could get behind realizing that planet with the same effects that Fritz Lang used to create Metropolis.

15. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Hayden force ghost talking to Luke would be awesome. It would be lame if it didnt happen sometime during this new trilogy with Luke saying his father has the force. Didnt a prequel writer make the story for episode 8? So yeah it could happen.

Andy Wylde and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Wasn't Lucas the only writer for the prequels though?

17. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I wouldnt know. But I thought on the SW news and views yt channel they said a prequel writer came up with ep 8 story.

18. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I recall that Rian Johnson, director for Episode VIII, openly admitted that there is a lot of beautiful stuff in the prequels. If he appreciates the PT, then we will see some PT nods in VIII for sure and as a saga fan that would make me happy.

19. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Or Ridley Scott did for Blade Runner.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    um.. i loved metropolis but your kidding right?

21. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001

George Lucas and Jonathan Hales are credited with the Episode II screenplay. Other than that George Lucas is credited as the sole writer of Episodes I, III, and IV. Rian Johnson is writing Episode VIII and a treatment for VIIII. He isn't credited with any work on any prior Star Wars movies and I haven't heard of him doing anything uncredited either.

As for Anakin's Force ghost appearing sometime in the Sequel Trilogy, I'm personally of the opinion that it's a great idea. I suspect this is a minority opinion.

I do think that there is a question that they will need to answer about how all that works though. Return of the Jedi pretty much ends with Luke seeing the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda. If it's now thirty years later has he been able to just chat with those guys whenever he feels like it? Does he have them on speed dial? Or does it only work in the other direction: can the ghosts only show up when they make themselves show up?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Old school FX or nothing. I want them to film any chase sequences using a flipbook.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I'd like an older Ralph Brown as Ric Olie having spent the interim 60 odd years on death sticks, having invented the Coruscant Carrot

24. DarkSpooler

DarkSpooler Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2015
    That's racist. Why Finn?

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    does anyone know what racism is anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.