What Nordic people think about each other?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Tod, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karoline Jedi Master

star 4
    Heh yeah.
    In that case, Finse should be full of snowcreatures and wampas :D
  2. Tod Jedi Master

star 4
    One stupid question:

What is Finse? I've wondered that quite long time.
  3. Gray_Mouser Jedi Padawan

This is just a guess but I think Finse is a region or something in Norway where they filmed part of the Hoth battle.
  4. Karoline Jedi Master

star 4
    10 points to Gray Mouser.
    Finse is the Norwegian national pride :D
  5. Erk Force Ghost

star 4
    I once heard your national anthem goes something like this.

"And we built a great railway
    connecting Finse with Oslo and Bergen."

That railway along with the transsibirian and the orientexpress is one of the greatest ever.

6. Tod Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok so which part of Norway is Finse?
  7. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Quite in the broadest part, isn't it?

And never forget all the Nordic names in the GFFA, Rune, Jansen, Jan, just to mention a few.
  8. Karoline Jedi Master

star 4
    Er.. it's not as much a part of norway like a county would be if that's what you had in mind, I think it's an glacier (spelling?) and a vast, snowy area around the glacier.
  9. Erk Force Ghost

star 4
    It is situated just between Bergen and Oslo next to the "Hardangerjökulen".
    I believe Hardangerjökulen also is known for it is the only non-movin glacier in the world.
  10. menilma Jedi Master

star 4
    oh Man, Norway is part of the SW universe! well ok, so it's Hoth.. I guess I wouldn't want that too badly ;)
  11. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I would love to visit it someday.
  12. Karoline Jedi Master

star 4
    I've never been there, but it looks very beautiful. I'm definately going skiing there once, want to join me, OA? We'll just have to hope we don't arrive in the middle of a blizzard, as you see in ESB, they can be quite nasty :)
  13. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    It is so close, I am surprised you all haven't gone there many times.

If I had been in the area I would have ;)

--Joey
  14. Karoline Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't actually live in the area, it's 8 hours of car driving until I get there. Still, it's quite close compared to Tampa, FL ;)
  15. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    Yeah it's clearly the closest part of the GFFA around here, but I still haven't been there.

I would love to go skiing there!
  16. Erk Force Ghost

star 4
    Well the reason so many people doesnt go there is that
    "Hoth is a harsh mistress". It's not like Tatouine (spelling?) where you actually can see the Lars homestead etc. etc. I read an article by a german who'd been there and he had too (since there weren't anyone remembering were they had filmed) measure the length of the shadows in the film, and check the time these scenes where shot and so on and so on to find the correct location for the rebel base. Well something like that anyway.

BTW. http://www.finse.no/
  17. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    I wouldn't go that far, I would just be happy to be in the surroundings of Hoth, and of course do some great skiing.
  18. Dreadlocked_Wookiee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay ... my first post (I think) in this part of the forum ...

Trivia time:

Originally, the Hoth scenes were supposed to be shot in Sweden (don't recall the exact location), but the Swedish authorities wouldn't have it ... I believe it had something to do with the military not being too keen on providing transportation and such for the cast and crew.
    So Lucas turned to our hospitable neighbors in the west instead ...
    Man, he could have just shot the battle scenes in our back yard! Plenty of snow where I'm from ... a few matte paintings to cover up our house ... and boo-yaa, the Battle of Hoth! I'd have let Peter Mayhew have my room ... and my mom would have made some deeelicious "palt " for the whole crew ... *sigh*

To answer Tod's question:

I've been to Norway quite a few times, mostly up north ...
    I hate to admit it (I'm Swedish after all), but I do have a soft spot for Norway.
    I remember entering this contest in some comic book when I was about seven years old, where you could win an all-expenses paid trip to any place in the world.
    Apparently, all those car trips to Narvik with my family must have done some serious damage to my brain ...
    I chose Norway.
    But it's a beautiful country, and I love the language(s).

Finland ...
    Just like Lynx, I've been to Vaasa, numerous times ... and I've traveled by car, just as many times, across the border, via Haparanda/Tornio, down to Oulu (Uleåborg). Again, mostly up north ... I've never been to Helsinki, but I'm definitely going there in the near future ... I hear they have some really cool reggae clubs over there! (Who'da thunk it?)
    One thing I really like about Finland is their pizza ... they have this chain of restaurants called ... umm... I forget (help me out here, Finns) ... anyway, the guy behind it is called Rabbe Sjöblom (I think) ... I saw this (unintentionally) hilarious documentary on Swedish TV a few years back, chronicling his life. Man, it was like a commercial for red wine, 'cause that was all he went on about! And his family?! Whoa, Nellie! In accordance to family tradition, his wife always whipped up some disgusting colored pasta instead of cake for their kids' birthdays ... and I'm not talking about the tomato or spinach colored pasta ... I'm talking tagliatelle and caramel coloring!
    Well, enough about Rabbe ...
    I do know what "mämmi" is, but I doubt I'll ever try it.
    I've tried "pesäpallo" ("boboll"), though ... it's a fun sport (though Swedes would probably refer to it as a recreational activity, just like our own variant - "brännboll") ... but I think I prefer baseball.

I've been all over Denmark.
    One of my fondest memories was in the sixth grade, when we embarked on this class trip from Luleå (where I used to live, way up in the north of Sweden) down to Frederikshavn, Aalborg, Aarhus, Odense and, last but not least, Copenhagen ... plenty of mischef on that trip, let me tell you ... and it was a pretty big deal for a bunch of twelve-year-olds - many of whom hadn't even been to Stockholm at the time!
    Since then, I've been to Copenhagen many times (lovely city) ... and the Roskilde Festival, of course (haven't been there since '94, though - it takes a bit more planning to make the trip these days, and the tenting experience isn't as tempting as it once was) ...

Iceland.
    Nope - never been there.
    I did take a University crash course in Icelandic, though ... or, more specifically, Nordic languages (Icelandic, Norwegian and Danish - I'm sad to say I played hooky from the Finnish and Lappish lectures) ...
  19. JediLynx Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hi Janne!
    I love your screen name... I knew that it had to be you before I even read you post. :D

You're thinking about Koti Pizza, right? They opened a small restaurant right next to where I live, but they're not doing too well.
  20. Dreadlocked_Wookiee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, Lynx!

Well, at first, I was going to introduce myself properly, but then I thought, "how hard can it be for Lynx and Obi Anne to figure out who I am?" ;)

And yes, Koti Pizza was the name I was looking for!
    So, they have one of those in Umeå? (Not in Linköping, right?)
    To be honest, it's been about ten years since I had a Koti pizza, so I guess it's possible they might not be as good as I remember ... but right now, mi waan nyam nuff Koti Pizza till mi belly full, seen? An mi nuh even haffi gwaan a foreign now! Koti Pizza inna Sweden! Nuff niceness, gyal!
    Oooh... mi belly nuh ave nuh battom right now ... and mi haffi sidung an wuk! :( Yuh know wha dem seh - empty bag cyaan tan up!
    :p

One Wookiee cookie is awarded to the first person who deciphers the last sentence correctly ... hint: it's a Jamaican proverb. :)
  21. Erk Force Ghost

star 4
    I also heard that the Hoth scenes were supposed to be shot in Sweden, but has taken it only as a rumour since it doesn't make sense. We don't have exactly that kind of environment and certainly not that south.

State your sources! : )
  22. Obi Anne FF admin Celebrations, Europe

Administrator
    star 7
    And I guess that you showing up here has nothing to do with the fact that sw.nu is down. ;)

Welcome anyway, nice to see your hairy face around.
  23. Joey7F Jedi Master

star 4
    This may not be fair since I speak English natively but...

Oooh... mi belly nuh ave nuh battom right now ... and mi haffi sidung an wuk! Yuh know wha dem seh - empty bag cyaan tan up!

One Wookiee cookie is awarded to the first person who deciphers the last sentence correctly ... hint: it's a Jamaican proverb.

Ooh...my belly doesn't have a bottom right now and I have to sit down and work. You know what they say - empty bag ---- tan up?

You got me on part of that... ;)

--Joey
  24. JediLynx Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yep, the Koti Pizza place is in Umeå, not here in Linköping. Not that I miss it that much, I didn't think the pizzas were that good. ;)
  25. Dreadlocked_Wookiee Jedi Knight

star 1
    Erk:
    I also heard that the Hoth scenes were supposed to be shot in Sweden, but has taken it only as a rumour since it doesn't make sense. We don't have exactly that kind of environment and certainly not that south.

What, we don?t have snow?! And what do you mean, "not that south"? It is possible to shoot movies up north, you know?
    And you have to remember that not even Finse looks like Hoth does in the movie ... those mountains we see in the background - matte paintings!

State your sources!

Well, to be honest, I haven't read it myself, so I guess you might be right, it could be a rumor.
    However, the guy who told me this, Björn Wahlberg, is one of the most knowledgeable Star Wars fans I've ever come across. He's a long-time collector of George Lucas interviews and Star Wars manuscripts (he's also a fellow translator - I think he translated the Episode I Visual Dictionary, among other things).
    If indeed it is true, it's probably mentioned in some of the Swedish newspapers around 1979-1981 (microfiche, anyone?), and then there's that book on the making of TESB ("Once Upon a Galaxy")... anybody read it?

Obi Anne:
    And I guess that you showing up here has nothing to do with the fact that sw.nu is down.

Um... "sw" what?

Seriously, I'm dying to post that mad-libs story, it's high-larious!

Welcome anyway, nice to see your hairy face around.

Well, hair I am! *badoom-chink!*

Joey7F:
    This may not be fair since I speak English natively

No problem, it's been my experience that native speakers of English can have just as much trouble understanding Jamaican Patois ... though, I must say, you did a pretty good job!
    On the other hand, my spelling is probably a bit too anglicized, even if there is no such thing as correct spelling when it comes to Patois.

Ooh...my belly doesn't have a bottom right now and I have to sit down and work. You know what they say

That's absolutely right.
    "Belly nuh ave nuh battom" (or "belli nuh ave nuh battam") is a phrase used to descibe a constant feeling of hunger after having eaten (though you probably figured that out).
    For example:
    "Im jus dun it and cum like fi him belli nuh ave nuh battam"
    Meaning:
    "He has just eaten and is still hungry"

empty bag ---- tan up?

Actually, this part is the proverb I was looking for, so I'm sorry, I can't give you that Wookiee cookie ...

Well ... tell you what, if you decipher the first three sentences correctly, I'll give you one anyway, for a job well done!
    (i.e. a consolation prize ;))

Jedi Lynx:
    Yep, the Koti Pizza place is in Umeå, not here in Linköping. Not that I miss it that much, I didn't think the pizzas were that good.

Don't say that! You're shattering my illusions! ;)

Hey, guess what? I got a call from a friend of mine today, and he asked me if I wanted to go to Helsinki this Sunday!
    That's so weird ... yesterday, I told you I've never been to Helsinki, and today, I got this call!
    There's just one problem ... I have a deadline this Monday, and if I go, I won't get back to Stockholm until Tuesday ... :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.