main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What Nordic people think about each other?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Tod, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLynx

JediLynx Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 2, 2000
    "There's something fishy in the state of Denmark" - My high school physics teacher

2. Karoline

Karoline Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 2001
    Denmark = cheap liqueuer.

What? I'm norwegian.

3. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Finns are friendly eh?

Everyone seems very friendly (exception being the french).

I might cross over into Finland. My father punched a guy in Finland (at a trainstation PRONOUNCED Rove-in-yemy) (a drunk guy so maybe Karoline is right :p). The guy was slapping two women so he decked him one. The guy was out cold due to hitting his head hard on the concrete. He gave the Finnish authorities his passport, name etc.

Two weeks later when he was in Germany, sleeping on the side of the road, he got pulled over by a cop. He asked him why he was being pulled over. The police officer said "Perhaps you have killed someone"

It turns out they were doing a random search, and the German police officer was just giving an example of what could be wrong but instead of saying something like, driving fast, illegally visiting, trespassing and etc

He thought he was in deep trouble!

Haha

--Joey

4. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    There are idiots in every country. Your father did a good thing Joey.

5. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Yeah, apparently the guy had done that before.

We have the same thing in the states. He had a couple of good stories from his traveling days.

He visited Denmark Norway Sweden Finland and parts of the USSR in that order. While in Norway he bought a knife from a local merchant. While traveling in USSR property he realized that someone followed him off the bus so he hid behind some bushes and watched the guy walk past him. He said that was the closest he had ever gotten to killing someone. My father said he would have bolted to Italy in one day's travel.

--Joey

6. Leija

Leija Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2002
    "Rove-in-yemy"

You probably mean Rovaniemi. That's in the far north...Santa Claus lives near Rovanemi you know :)

7. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Yes that is what I couldn't spell, that is why I "Sounded it out"

--Joey

8. Riku

Riku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    'Rove-in-yeme'. That's a nicely formed word, I think it's even a better name for a city than 'Rovaniemi'. :D

About the sauna; I like about 100 degrees, but I've handled about 120 degrees. For five minutes or so. One of my friends went to a sauna, which was heated to 140 degrees and burned his ears pretty badly. And, boy, did we laugh. :D

9. Karoline

Sep 18, 2001
    "Everyone seems very friendly (exception being the french)"

My experience with the french is quite the opposite; I've only met nice french people.

(Ok, there is an exception; some weird person stalked me for a few blocks when I was in Paris a week ago. He even waited for me outside a women's clothing shop, while he tried to hide. And I'm not even a paranoid person. I hurried into a crowded street and lost him, luckily. It was a very unnerving experience. I've got a belt in karate, and I've never been happier about it than that afternoon.)

Edit; Whoa, that's similar to what Joey's father experienced. There are weirdos in every country ;)

10. Riku

Riku Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    French. Funny language, serious people. Why can't they speak English, for the love of God?

11. Karoline

Sep 18, 2001
    Lovely language, lovely cheese, lovely arcitechture! (not to mention lovely Sw- shops) I'm so going back there :D

12. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    I think it would serve the French guy right if you layed into him Karoline :p

I disagree with your assessment, of the 15 people or so I talked to in France (or attempted to) only 4 were NOT unfriendly. That is not saying that 4 were friendly. In Norway I talked to about 28 people and all were unfailingly helpful og vennlig.

The french seem to be very unhappy imo. There are a lot of people that just stare off into space with a cigarette hanging out of there mouth brooding about something stupid. It is no wonder the Germans just crushed through them during WWII. A week after I visited France I went to Germany and a few friends of my father said "Today is a good day to go wandering around in the woods" "Yes yes it is a beautiful day to go hiking!" The attitude differential was very striking. The Swiss also seemed friendly. Though it could be the region in France because if you all came to New York you would think that Americans were the biggest jerks of all time!

Riku I don't know why the French can't speak English. The fact that they do not speak English doesn't bother me, it is their reaction to it that does. They almost seem to say "No how dare you ask me to pollute my tongue with that filth"

If you all come to Florida, you will find most people are friendly and generally interested to see someone from a foreign country but can't speak another language (except for maybe spanish).

Sounds like you all travel quite a bit!

--Joey

13. Karoline

Sep 18, 2001
    You must have been in the wrong part of france.
    We discovered this amazing Sci-fi shop close to Notre Dame; it had the coolest sw- statuettes I've ever seen. As my brother and I stood outside, drooling at the display in the window, this guy that was walking by approached us, saw that we were looking at the star wars display and said with a thick accent; "Le Star Wars, great movie, unh?" He was walking with two or three others, and all of them were laughing.

Sometimes it's fun being a Star Wars fan :D

14. Swedish_Jedi

Swedish_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    My cousine are married to a danish...they live i denmark. Just fro the discussion :)

15. Swedish_Jedi

Swedish_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    my cousine is married to an danish, and they live in denmark. i just write this to the poll (it isn't so interestning). :)

oops 2 messages (sry) i'm at my schools comps at they are not to trust on....

16. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Not exactly on topic but how did you my fellow Nordic SW fans like past summer?

At least we in Finland had very nice summer. In Helsinki it didn't rain for 28 days or something like that at one point. I think that's new record. And it was even hot which is even more rare event.

I was sailing many times in Baltic Sea and noticed that there were swedish boats going around for example in Ã…land. But danes or norwegians haven't yet found Finnish islands. Is here any others who like seafaring?

Luckily soon it will be summer again and I can get back to sea.

17. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    The summer was too hot. I don't like the sun, and I don't like when it's so warm you can't wear jeans. :mad: 8-}

But the summer was pretty good. Spent most of it playing soccer, "kubb" (a swedish game), and sitting on rooftops singing songs from Moulin Rouge. All in all, a nice summer. Except the heat. ;)

18. Leto

Leto Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Excellent summer! To bad that I was working during the hottest period in July. Here in the South of Sweden we had no rain from the beginning of August until mid-September.

19. Tom_Antilles

Tom_Antilles Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2002
    I do not like the summer. It is too hot. I want chill! A real north-man are comfty in atleast 15-. All countrys in the scandinavian included, nothing to do with the borders. it simply IS that way.

;)

20. Leto

Leto Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Nah, I don´t think so.

21. Tom_Antilles

Aug 11, 2002
    It is so! All true wikings! Wroar the battle cry! Wwwaaaggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

22. Leto

Leto Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    ?[face_plain] What battlecry?

23. Tom_Antilles

Aug 11, 2002
    OMG, is there no true wikings left?

The batle cry: Wwwaaaggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Wraaahhhhggggggggrrrr

I also don't like when summer's are too hot, but I think this one was fine. It's nice when you don't have to force your self into the water when you want to go swimming in a lake.

25. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Bah. A real viking swims in the ocean when it's raining and the water is about 12 degrees centigrade... :D

(We don't have to mention that I had to spend two hours in front of the fireplace the last time I did that)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.