main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What "Obi-Wan did" to Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Lyvia, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Do you think what Obi-Wan did to Anakin was justified are cruel? Do you think Anakin deserved to be crippled like he was because of what he did to the jedi and others? Now of course Obi-Wan didnt do it out of malice(though I think if he beleived in revenge that was a good way to go about it)but to me it seems 20% cruel and 80% poetic justice.

2. flenchgrain

flenchgrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Self defense, I don't think Vader was jumping up to shake his hand.

3. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    What was he supposed to do? Try to put Vader in a headlock?

Everything that happened to Anakin was because of his own doing.

- O_F

4. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    He was being cruel while defending himself. There is a difference between disarming your opponent and making him into sliced and diced kentucky fried chicken.

5. HawkHeadKentil

HawkHeadKentil Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    Flaming = bad.

6. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    He should of just killed Anakin, not leave him there to rot. If Anakin had died, he would of slowly and painfully, which is not fair because Anakin did not torture anyone in the Jedi Temple. He simply sliced them.

7. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Removing quote/etc.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    What Obi-wan did was justifiable. It may seem cruel, but what Anakin did was worse. And Obi-wan was not feeling merciful that day.

9. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    I actually don't love Hayden, but endearing of you to assume so. I agree that Obi-Wan was defending himself... but it certainly wasn't kind of Obi-Wan to cut off Anakin's arm and legs. Read what I posted above. You Obi lovers need to realize that Obi-Wan isn't perfect either... he's just not evil like Anakin, he's still a bastard though, just to less of a degree.

10. Lyvia

Lyvia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    I love Hayden but it doesnt change that homeboy deserved to get beatdown. Maybe if Obi had kicked his butt a few years ago none of this crap would have happened. Obi deserved to take out some justice on Anakin and yes it was self defense to a certain point, but chopping someone up and leaving them to burn alive is where the self defesne stops. And I dont think Obi Wan is a bastard, I think he is just confused and even after everything Anakin does he still cant kill him(though killing him wouldhave been the nice thing to do). I hope people dont think Im saying Obi wan is cruel cause Im not, he had to take Anakin down but Im just wondering if anyone else thinks the whole maiming and burning thing was a little to cruel. Anakin is in pain until he dies and that pain was brought on by Obi-Wan.

11. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    At the same time, it's also Obi-Wan who warned him of it; "don't do it!", there's no two ways around that statement - and Anakin "did it".

He chose to attack him and faced the consequences, with someone so dangerous as Vader you can't take your chances. And once he's down he's a defenseless defeated foe - Obi Wan's a true Jedi and he doesn't strike down defenseless foes, unlike Anakin.

- O_F

12. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    No, but he leaves them there to die painfully...

What Obi-Wan did wasn't exactly cruel but it was definitely not justifiable or self defensive.

13. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    How is it not self-defense? Anakins coming towards him with blinding speed and about to cut him in half. And again, how is it not justifiable? It was Anakin who's the villain here, Anakin who's trying to kill him, Anakin who has killed so many already.

Anakin is basically Darth Maul now, the only difference is that instead of Obi jumping over Maul it's Anakin trying the same.

- O_F

14. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Self defensive would of been Obi-Wan slicing him in half. Killing him. Not first cutting off his limbs, and then watching him burn, and then standing above him like his superior, and then telling him he loved him. That isn't self defense, and nor is it justifiable.

15. use-the-force-luke

use-the-force-luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2002
    I just don't see how it's not justifiable after. 1) He was defending himself 2) He warned Anakin... TWICE! Think what Anakin would've done to Obi had Obi-wan not fought back.

And Jedi don't strike down weak, unarmed foes. They let the will of the Force take care of things. Anyway, Anakin was no longer himself when he was burning. He was Darth Vader.

16. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    Doesn't matter if it's like the Maul situation. Anakin deserved to be punished true... but cutting somebody up and watching them burn isn't exactly The Jedi way. Sinister hit it on the head with the Book reference. Obi-Wan wasn't feeling merciful. So don't act like it was some great deed on Obi's part for not killing Anakin. He was pissed off (rightly so) and acted accordingly. He didn't cut up Anakin because he was trying to defend himself... he would have just killed Anakin. We all know he had the chance. Cutting off Ani's arm and legs was an act of cruelty, plain and simple.

17. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Obi-Wan was fully justified in his actions. Anakin had just killed children, and was now attempting to kill the man he had once called his brother. Obi-Wan had to defend himself against Anakin's attacks; he couldn't sit back and take it.

18. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    self-de·fense (slfd-fns)
    n.

1. Defense of oneself when physically attacked: took a course in self-defense.
    2. Defense of what belongs to oneself, as one's works or reputation.
    3. Law. The right to protect oneself against violence or threatened violence with whatever force or means are reasonably necessary.

Obi-Wan didn't watch him burn, he walked away the moment Vaders limbs caught fire. He only told him he loved him because Vader yelled out that he hated him, and again - he hadn't caught fire yet when they talked.

So say i get attacked on the street; instead of preserving my attackers life by any means necessary, i should just kill him outright? That doesn't even make sense, especially considering the allegation that it was "cruel". I guess taking somebody's life when it isn't necessary isn't considered cruel.

- O_F

19. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    It's not the Jedi way. Plain and simple.

20. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    I wonder why Obi-Wan had to cut off three of Anakin's limbs; I would have thought cutting off one would be enough to stop the fight. Maybe the way he swung the lightsaber caused three of Anakin's limbs to be cut off very quickly. The novelisation says the reason Obi-Wan doesn't kill him is because he's still a Jedi and won't murder a helpless man, so he leaves it to the will of the force. The problem I have with this explanation is Obi-Wan is leaving Anakin to die by not helping him. So why would it be wrong to just walk over to him and behead him, since taking him prisoner isn't an option? If Anakin died as a result of the lava, Obi-Wan would still be the person who killed him since he injured Anakin to the point that he couldn't survive the situation he was in without help. Obi-Wan was on a mission to destroy the Sith, and I don't see why he couldn't strike the final blow- it would guarantee Anakin couldn't be rescued and would save him a lot of pain (especially since Jedi are only supposed to harm people in self defense- killing Anakin quickly with a lightsaber could be considered defense of the galaxy, but leaving him to burn alive is simply making him suffer).

21. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Killing somebody when you don't have to is the Jedi Way, that's exactly what Obi-Wan did.

- O_F

22. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    "A Jedi uses his power for knowledge and defense... never for attack."

That is exactly what Obi-Wan did. I do not understand how it was not the Jedi way.

23. Obi_Frans

Jul 31, 2003
    Well, in the novel - Obi Wan also senses the Emperor approaching Mustafaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr. So he leaves Vaders fate up to the will of the force.

And yes, it's the way Obi-Wan swings his saber and the way Anakin jumps on him that causes his legs to get sliced to

- O_F

24. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    And I suppose watching a fellow Jedi in pain is the Jedi way?

25. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Anakin was no longer a fellow Jedi. He was a Sith Lord.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.