main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What "Obi-Wan did" to Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Lyvia, Aug 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuliaOlenska

LuliaOlenska Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2005
    Personnally, I much prefer to extrapolate from what is on screen because the novelisation is just that, an interpretation, a pumped up version of the script. Now, IF GL had written the tie-in novel, it may have some kind of credibility, it would tie lose ends, give more information that 3 hours of film cannot, etc.

But as it is, I don't give much credit to the novel(s).

Of course, I don't know where everybody here stands on the novels. To me, they're glorified fanfic: entertaining, but someone else's ideas all the same.

2. DarthQuellonis

DarthQuellonis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2005
    Obi-Wan I think didn't give Anakin a chance to live when he just left him there burning up. That's the cruel part.

3. Old Juan

Old Juan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 1, 1999
    The novels are not glorified fanfiction. They are considerd official starwars canon secondary to the films themselves. All three authors: Terry Brooks, R.A. Salvatore, and Mathew Stover all had meetings with George to discuss the story and thing things they could and couldn't expound apon. GL was actually even more involved with the RoTS novel then he was with the other two in that he actually read the manuscript and was essentially the final proofreader and had Stover make a few changes before the book could go to print.

4. MasterKenobi777

MasterKenobi777 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    "What he did WAS evil, plain and simple, and the galaxy paid a terrible price for it."

What he did to Anakin was not evil or cruel. He did what he had to do, actually he failed to do what he was supposed to. He was ordered to kill Anakin by Yoda and he chose to spare Anakin's life by only taking out his legs and arm. He could have severed him in half or cut his head off and ended it but he didn't. He couldn't kill his best friend because he loved him like a brother. As Anakin started to burn he figured Anakin would die, therefore he wouldn't actually be the one that killed him. He was letting the fire do what he was supposed to. Now this 'the galaxy paid the price for it' nonsense is exactly what I said it is, nonsense. Had Obi-Wan killed Anakin like you and too many others think Obi-Wan would have killed the Chosen One and no one, not even Luke would have brought the Force into balance by killing the Sith. The only one capable of it was Anakin and because Obi-Wan cripples him so bad, Vader is never able to become what he should have been which is the all powerful Sith Lord who would kill Palpatine and take over the galaxy then the galaxy would have paid a terrible price. It may seem cruel by what Obi-Wan lets Anakin go through but wasn't it also cruel that Anakin slaughtered the Jedi younglings??? Wasn't it cruel that Anakin betrayed all his Jedi friends for a woman and himself?? Obi-Wan did the Jedi thing. He made sure that justice was done and that the Sith Lord Vader would pay for his crimes. Remember Jedi are the keepers of peace and justice and they are sworn to carry it out. And Obi-Wan did just that.

5. SkyRappa

SkyRappa Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    In that moment...when Anakin is burning, there's a look of sadness...a look of defeat. I think Anakin's pain overwhelmed Obi-Wan, who completly lost the stomach to finish the job. I mean, you see a limbless guy catch fire....you have to assume he's going to die.

Granted a final lightsabre blow would have been merciful, but i blame Obi-Wan's actions on disgust at himself, rather than cruelty.

There was definitly no smile on Obi-Wan's face.

That's all I got.

6. LuliaOlenska

LuliaOlenska Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2005

Then I'm sorry, juan. I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that the novels were written by independent writers who extrapolated from what we see in the movies.

However, these boards would be quite boring if we couldn't make up our own little theories and start threads about them, wouldn't it? :)

But I hold on to my opinion: Obi Wan had to "damage" Anakin as much as he could to minize the evil he will go on to do as a Sith. The method may be discutable, but not the goal.

7. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    I really don't think Obi-Wan was thinking all THAT much about it! He had a DERANGED and SERIOUS KILLER coming at him, he was thinking of survival, so he did what he COULD to STOP Anakin!

8. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Alright, everyone is saying what Anakin shouldn't of done. Why not share what you think he should of done.

9. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005

At which point?

10. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Which point what?

11. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    "should of done."

I think some would say he should have done the complete opposite of
    what he did do ;)

Two things pop into my mind:
    1, trust his wife and be open with her
    2, trust Obi-Wan and be open with him, seek his counsel about Palps
    and his visions about Padme. He could be more open and precise with
    Obi-Wan than he had with Yoda without worry of reprisal.

12. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    You want to talk about what Anakin should have done. At what point are you talking about? Before his turn, during the duel, what? Now that I think about it, it doesn't matter. It's off topic either way.

13. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    No no Jedi-Queen, I meant, what should he of done at that point? At that point where Obi-Wan told him he had the higher ground.

14. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    Ani was too far into the battle by then, of course he was going to
    ignore the 'higher ground' statement and charge ahead.
    Everything we know about his [emotional/impulsive] behavior up
    to that point tells us he would do nothing else.
    His pattern of behaviour would have had to be broken long before
    that in order for the outcome to be different.

I guess if anything he could have hesitated long enough to really
    think about his approach to Obi on the bank and not leap, but doesn't
    that symbolize most of Ani's actions - leaping without clearly
    and rationally thinking about what consequences may arise.

15. thechozn1

May 15, 2005

From a tactical standpoint, he should have waited and gotten a little farther downstream before getting to the bank. From a moral standpoint, he should have thrown his saber into the lava and turned back to the light... right, like that was going to happen.

16. anakin_luver

Jul 26, 2005
    Well than, I guess we're back to square one...

17. Clone_Commander169

Clone_Commander169 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2005
    obi wan should have killed ani there and then. what he did was make him suffer. if anakin was truley his brother, hed kill him and save him the pain

18. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Actually that goes against his Jedi ways to attack and or kill a defenseless opponent.

19. Chosen_One314

Chosen_One314 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Obi-Wan is a Jedi... It is his job to protect the people.. and infact to protect Anakin from himself.

"Destroy the Sith, we must."

It was their job... Anakin knows wat he's doing.. we dont like it.. hell i dont like it!.. but if ur gonna blame anybody blame Palpatine.. hes the puppet master

20. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004

He could have captured Anakin. In his weakened state, Obi-Wan and Yoda would have had more than enough power to restrain him.

21. Estaban

Estaban Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2005
    Wasn't there a line in Batman Begins that went something like:

"I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."

That's about how I view Obi-Wan's actions. He rufesd to kill Vader, who by that point was completely incapable of fighting, but at the same time he felt no need to try to save him from sliding into the lava. It was Vader's choice to jump onto the hillside into Obi-Wan's lightsaber and the consequenses were Vader's alone to bear.

22. thechozn1

May 15, 2005

That's pretty much right in line with the nevelization. After Obi-wan strikes the major blow Anakin ask him for help before the infamous "I hate you line". Obi-wan tells him he won't, and even can't save him. Both metaphorically and physically he could not be brought back as a Jedi at this time.

23. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    That's a good point, but was the line in Batman Begins an exchange between two people who were like brothers? (For all I know it was... I haven't see Batman Begins :p) That's a big issue for me.

24. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    The Clone Wars had been staged by the Sith, and the Empire had been formatted by the innocent blood of Jedi and treachery. When Anakin told Obi-Wan that if he wasn't with him, then he was against him, that's what makes Obi-Wan's actions justified. Besides, Anakin is to blame.

25. Archmage2087

Archmage2087 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 20, 2004
    Technically, what Anakin SHOULD have done was Force Choke Obi-Wan, throw him further onto the shore, and THEN leap at him. The only reason he didn't is that Anakin is a rather honorable swordsman, and thus chooses to only attack with his lightsaber (the exceptions, are of course, the mutual force push, which would just break the lock, and tossing stuff at Luke, who he was pwning already). Moreso than just not thinking things through, Anakin simply prefers to use his sword--the most powerful force-user in the galaxy could have easily settled most of his fights with just a few hand gestures if he truly prefered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.