main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What of Luke's GREEN lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
  2. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    This is getting OT.... (but...)

There's plenty of evidence to back it up, that JJ doesn't accept the prequels as canon. When interviewed if there would be midi-chlorians he said no. This was a major part of the canon of the TPM. It wasn't something people were happy about but it was no less part of the prequels and star wars saga. I don't see what gives them that much power change things unless they don't respect canon or the prequels as canon. He was also quoted to say that 4, 5 and 6 will be treated as canon without any mention of 1, 2 and 3.

Apparently there are threads on this page, discussing what he thinks of the prequels. I don't have time to post sources right now I have to go to work, this isn't a college research paper, it's a star wars forum. :D I got to go... it's easy to find this info on line, it's not obscure.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  4. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    not true at all. you don't know what you're talking about.

Rabs likes this.
  5. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    That's considered a legitimate post?

It's not based on personal opinion rather information out there. If it's been disputed, then it's been disputed....But apparently he said no to TPM canon, specifically min-chlorians. Yes, I saw yesterday a thread on this site or a site like it...discussing his feelings of the prequels.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-force-awakens-midi-chlorians/
    http://heroicuniverse.com/j-j-abrams-gives-the-star-wars-prequels-the-cold-shoulder/

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  6. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    that isn't hating the prequels or saying they aren't canon. he said midis won't be mentioned and he said, "We treated the films, especially 4, 5, and 6, we treated those as canon." that includes the pt. the fact that there are no sith in the st proves that the pt are considered canon. you're wrong.

PT - Do JJ Abrams, Lucasfilm or Disney no longer consider the PT canon or part of the Star Wars universe? | Jedi Council Forums

Toonimator likes this.
  7. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    It's subject to interpretation, which entitles others to state whether or not I don't know what I'm talking about.
    It's not necessarily fair to say that he doesn't consider it canon but it seems that way to me. At any rate, I could be right as much as I could be wrong.

I don't have time to form an argument, as that would be what we're doing... we'd get OT and.... :D I don't llike JJ. That's all, I have my own feelings, thoughts about his work and the way he treats his material. Maybe I'm not being reasonable BUT ALOT of posts in these threads are speculation... just as I am speculating. Also they are opinion, non objective...

Perhaps I'm not being fair with my speculation but I still feel that there is reason to entitle myself to my opinion. Maybe I am slightly misinformed, fair enough. There is already a thread discussing his feelings about the prequels. I don't know where it's at. I got to go...work

SoloBrothers likes this.
  8. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    Crap

9. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Seems anakins blade makes the same ignition sound on grevious bridge as lukes green one does in rotj. So my theory regarding the speed of the ignition being controlled by the user may hold some weight?
    Yodas also changes in pitch from aotc to rots, lets not forget vaders very slow ignition in esb.
    Any case i much prefer the more agressive ignitions ala lukes rotj or yoda aotc.

Tommytom likes this.
  10. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

IMO vaders slow ignition in ESB is impressive, most impressive, it gives a sense of total control and it's intimidating to the opponent.

NostalgiaFan and dan1210 like this.
  11. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I guess in some respects its what the scene dictates, once you hear lukes rotj saber most of the other ignitions sound less exciting.

12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Luke using both sabers is probably very unlikely, I agree.

But the idea of a sequence where Luke Skywalker victoriously engages an enemy in a lightsaber duel, at some point over the course of three feature-length films, shouldn't be too much to ask for.

The way the story is being set up, it sure makes it seem as though there are enough potential baddies to go around for Luke to enjoy his "action hero/warrior" moment, but without taking anything away from the new heroes. I mean, Skywalker could battle one of the Knights of Ren, Snoke, the rumored female dark side user in VIII or maybe even del Toro (if he is playing a Force user), and still leave the likes of Rey, Finn and Poe with plenty of available opponents. And that's without accounting for any other new 'bad guys' which may still come along.

:luke: :greensaber:

starocean90, T-R- and arjank like this.
  13. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    I totally agree :cool:

T-R- and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    R2 has it in his dome the whole movie.

[​IMG]

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, he said that there would be things done differently if he were to make Episodes VII-IX. Specifically that Luke would get married or not, which he was against and Palpatine being brought back through cloning. But he wasn't against those stories. In fact, he even went out and borrowed from said EU.

He isn't a fan of the PT, but he's not saying that they aren't canon. He's just building off of what was in the OT. He doesn't have to mention Midichlorians if they do not factor into the story. Lucas had a reason to mention them in TPM and ROTS, just as Filoni's writing team had a reason to in TCW, but not in "Rebels".

16. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

No, he didn't...that quote was taken WAY out of context.

thejeditraitor and Toonimator like this.
  17. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    The blue saber never belonged to Luke; that's Anakin's saber, not his, and we knew it from the first time we saw it. That saber seems destined to be passed down to the 'new hope' as we go from film to film. It would be odd to see the new cast members use the Anakin saber in EVII, only to have it 'returned' to Luke at the end for him to use in VIII and IX. Why would he want it back?

18. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013

Right on, right on, right on. Now, can we get a re-release of the FX ROTJ saber please? I don't have $900 lying around to blow on a lightsaber.

19. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    Girls and Gents, this conversation is Way off topic. There is a thread where this can be discussed. If we must continue this I'd think it would be best to find that thread... If you want a rant though, here is a rant but you can't say that it wasn't unprovoked or that I didn't try to avoid one.

I haven't really done alot of searching. I think some of the problem lies in preconceived ideas.

There's 4 realities I see here, the certain, the uncertain, possibilities, probabilities.

(Abrams’ Star Trek) was a great movie, and he brought a whole new generation to Trek. But I’m a little disquieted by things I hear coming out of his camp, things like he would like to be remembered as the only Trek—which would discount everything before he got there.
    There’s ‘breaking the canon,’ which he did (by re-inventing Star Trek‘s timeline). But there’s also honouring the canon. And to pretend to be the only one is really egocentric and immature.
    I just came from a conference in San Francisco with Advanced Micro Devices, and they’re working on technology towards building a holodeck. That was Next Generation. And that’s part of what Star Trek has brought to the culture. So when JJ Abrams says, ‘There should be no Star Trekexcept the one I make,’ I call bulls—, J.J.

As a Star Trek fan as much as a Star Wars fan, I don't have a lot of respect for what he did to Star Trek. It's subjective, naturally... but JJ has a history of not honouring previous cannon. If he's going to ignore the previous films, or does in fact not enjoy the previous films , with a mentality like this....We have the certain, reality, the objective one, which really isn't all that certain here.... I was shocked what he did to Star Trek and how he handled his position of power. I can't say that I'm all that comfortable with him in the chair now for Star Wars... especially knowing that he doesn't appreciate all the original canon of the movie franchise. Is it probable that he will alter canon and claim that his work is the only work that should matter? Maybe not, but then again no one stopped him with Star Trek from living out his "vision" and developing this egocentric view of his star trek.

Is it possible that he doesn't want the prequels to be remembered and can just break canon within the movie saga? I hope not, I'd like to think some one would interfere...
    The same nightmare exists for science fiction fans who still watch doctor who... Steven Moffat... God help us all...
    George lucas is God in the Star Wars universe, and JJ, to me... though it's a subjective opinion based on how he behaves, likes to take it onto his shoulders to be like a god. I remember seeing a quote yesterday where he said upon having both star wars and star trek in his hands that " It's just too much power!".

I don't think he's a mad dog off a leash, but I also have remained cautious this entire time...Maybe it's unwarranted , but I really disagree that anything I've said is out of context. Connecting the dots as they may be connected is often a question of perception, perspective. Even if it's not what he meant... there's still enough evidence to possibly see how what has been said mirrors how he may really feel and what he may really think that isn't being spoken word for word , but is spelled out in what ever else he may have said. Kind of like finding a puzzle piece that appears separate but you know that it goes some where in the puzzle and really hides a larger image that it's part of.

Not that this is necessarily the case.
    To be fair when he said there wouldn't be midichlorians it wasn't a long drawn out reason as some of you have argued... it was based on a simple yes or no question. As far as I know that's as far as it ever went. I can't predict a man who says something like that about star trek, he won't get my entire trust, only after I see the film and have agreed that he respects what came before... ( which he apparently has a dislike for it...) I don't know how much influence, power he has here... but what he did to star trek , his vision is not forgivable. I understand some liked it, that's fine... but Star Trek is basically dead now for various reasons. OT , his vision and that studios don't think Star Trek as it were is any longer marketable...

Arguing context , I think context has another dimension when you have such honesty, and rememberable claims as he's already made. He was never a fan of the prequel if you would Star Trek universe, or prime universe as we call it... and God help us the end result...It doesn't matter what he says for word for word... It matters what has been said.Again, what is certain, uncertain, possible and probable. I don't really trust him 100 percent and I've given a valid reason why as a Star trek fan, even if it's not entirely rational. It's the same as for not counting as word for word. Just knowing how this man feels about his movie universes , and the way he has treated a entire fan base of 50 years in the past... Even if I'm not being rational, there's still something there. The context is crystal clear with me, the fear or anger, distrust is real....He can't hide behind what he says or doesn't say because I know what's already there. I can refer back to it. I see the potential and the uncertainty of what he may give us does not bring me comfort. I hope to be pleasantly surprised... I remain cautious.

Even if he doesn't bugger this movie up in anyway and respects all canon, I'll still see the forest through the trees, I still know it's there. Context doesn't have to fall into word for word... or even be rational at the time, it can be historical, intuitive... it can break free of quotations, even facts...Because I know what he's capable of and not certain what he can/ will do but certain very certain of what he was capable of in the past.

I won't forget ever what he did to star trek and because of the direction star trek has went in we may never seen a series like STTNG ever again on TV...Hell, even when referring to another movie universe I'm still in a proper context of a sort.

I won't forgive him for Star Trek but if Star Wars lives up to expectations I will consider his involvement to be a good thing, rather than a bad thing and give him more of a chance in the future with less skepticism perhaps.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    bolding and large texting that did not make it any easier to read.

21. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    You're assuming intent. It wasn't intentional, it's compiled text. ;)
    I've attempted to edit it.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ZOMG WUT ABOUT THE GREEN LIGHTSABER THO

23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Yodahasgreenfeet, the thing it is impossible for him to not consider the prequels canon for the simple fact that the main thread of the storyline for the prequels is laid out in the ot.
    Episode iv- luke dad was an jedi who fought in the clone wars, he was obiwans friend. Vader helped the emperor hunt down the jedi
    Episode v- vader is really lukes dad. The last round of se changes for the dvds add scene with palaptine mentionimg luke as anakin skywalkers son( moving the reveal of lukes dads first name to this movie from rotj
    Episode vi- vaders identity as anakin confirmed by yoda, ben, and vader himself. Leia revealed as lukes sister. Anakin fullfills prophecy.

All of that was canon before the prequels were made. They are the important story points in the pt, not midichlorians, podracing, or even where the clones came from.

24. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012
    You know, I think really this uncovers my irrational hatred, fear of JJ's involvement with SW. The good news is there will be less work for my therapist once I start seeing him/ her. This won't have to come up then. let's just brush this off as a journey into my psyche and move on. I'm always going to need help accepting Star Trek...
    My argument wasn't entirely rational. To be honest I felt heckled or called out by that one mod that said i was full of bull. Which may be true...I felt the heat on that fire early on though. I knew this could escalate.

I need some one to hold me. I need more love in my life...

As far as a green saber... I'd like to see that. It would be appropriate but after so many years I don't see why he couldn't have a white saber. Clearly green would be more nostalgic though and give the film a little more ... ( what's the word? continuity.)

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I need more discussion about Luke's green lightsaber in this thread.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.