main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What of Luke's GREEN lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darth_mccartney, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

[​IMG]

2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    The saber was given to Luke by Obi-Wan. It ceased to be Obi-Wan's* and became Luke Skywalker's. Anakin had no more use for it, anyway. Whether Rey or Finn or both become Jedi, they'll eventually be making their own sabers...so I'm not sure either would keep the Skywalker saber for terribly long. Anakin didn't inherit Qui-Gon's saber, after all.

*possession is 9/10ths yada yada

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    thank you.

4. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    His saber is canon, his green one, if JJ does't include it I will never forgive him! Just kidding haha.

5. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    The green saber is awesome. That part during the Luke/Vader duel in ROTJ where he gets really angry and starts swinging wildly causing all those sparks was my favourite OT fight scene. There is a similar scene in ROTS during the Obi/Ani fight and I couldn't help but think like father like son.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I am still wondering why they are using the anakin saber as the mcguffin/excalibur and not the rotj green one. Luke lost anakins saber in esb how is it going to lead someone to him 31 years later, if it was found by the empire or someone on bespin, who modified it because the instagram clip of finn igniting shows it has been altered a bit, a bit near thet top either has been cut out or their is a window made of a see thru material now. I hope Luke gets to fight with the green blade and maybe he gets to pass it one to Rey before the end of this trilogy if she is his daughter or niece.

7. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    No. Obi-Wan did, until he built his own

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    From the ROTJ script:

Luke looks at his father's mechanical hand, then to his own mechanical,
    black-gloved hand, and realizes how much he is becoming like his
    father. He makes the decision for which he has spent a lifetime in
    preparation. Luke steps back and hurls his lightsaber away.

So the question is...knowing that his friends are about to blow up the 2nd Death Star, and while trying to save his father, did he stop to pick up his lightsaber before leaving? I'm guessing no. Do I hope he builds another lightsaber similar to his last one that happens to also be green? Yes.

9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Luke picked up his green lightsaber before leaving DSII. He has it at Ewok celebration. [face_sigh]

[​IMG]

10. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

He's a Jedi. He wouldn't have to stop or bend over to fetch it.

danmcken likes this.
  11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he'll have his green one but we won't see it until 8.

carlcockatoo likes this.
  12. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I suspect they decided to go with the Bespin saber because it had once belonged to Vader, and this is the thing that loosely ties all 3 trilogies together.

Also, the saber has not been modified. That little cutout was always there, but I suspect saber blades hadn't ever been rendered with enough fidelity to show it. Here's my replica saber:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Toonimator and thejeditraitor like this.
  13. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

yeah.

plus luke is still using the green saber which will be seen in VIII calling it now.

14. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    But who will use the Bespin saber in VIII? I guess Rey constructs a double blade? But then the returning of the Bespin saber to Luke makes no sense, when he doesn't use it and Finn instead. [face_dunno]

15. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    For now, I think Rey will get Luke's blue lightsaber and Finn will get his green one.

Django Fett likes this.
  16. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    so no new lightsabers at the good guys side?

17. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

I thought rey would inherit anakin's saber 'cause of her ties to luke, and then maybe we'd see finn (with maz) construct his own saber near the beginning of VIII, something we have not yet seen on screen. but I have seen that rumour of rey getting a double bladed saber in VIII and that would be cool. maybe nobody uses the 'legacy saber' after VIII? I think it's really cool how it appears in VII and how we've seen finn with it. really cool symbolism, "this saber used by one of the most prominent jedi ever is now in the hands of a 'random' stormtrooper who's about to be in a very tense duel for the first time". but then when it gets back to luke, it fulfils its purpose, and all of the new characters will end up with a new saber that is uniquely their own.

nightangel likes this.
  18. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

Dunno. I had also imagined a scenario where we would actually get to witness some of their lightsabers being constructed. Maybe Luke will keep the green one and we'll see Finn create his own one later on.

nightangel likes this.
  19. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I thought the same as you regarding the break near the hilt but if you google images of the original prop or original replicas you will see it indeed does have that break, its anakins rots blade that does not.

20. Saakar Ren

Saakar Ren Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2015
    I hope we see him wield the green saber again but be far more powerful with the Force. Beyond Yoda levels of Force use. Maybe enough to bring down walkers etc.

When Luke left the Death Star in ROTJ he had his lightsaber as others have pointed out before me but what happened to Vaders saber?
    Did Luke leave it on the Death Star?
    Did he leave it with his fathers body on the pyre on Endor?
    Did he take it as a Jedi weapon should not be left lying around?

I have a good feeling about this(could be wrong though) = Luke does leave the red saber with Vader and that is how Kylo Ren gets Vaders helmet and I believe he rebuilds Vaders broken sabre in his own way. After all he may never have been taught to build a saber correctly

21. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

Looking at images of the way finn is hokd the saber I think he is holfing tit differently then the way luke and anakin held the saber. Luke and Anakin always held the saber cut out towards there body while the other side as that litle piece near the emitter shroud that would stop his hand from sliding up. Finn is holding it backwards to the way its previous owners did and that's why the gap in the emitter shroud on that side is more noticeable. Also it goes with the fact that he is extremely inexperienced with the weapon. Hopeful we will get a scene at somepoint of luke training him.

22. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Vader's saber & hand fell down the pit next to the walkway. Haven't you ever read The Glove of Darth Vader? ;) (what a silly book that was... and Vader's entire glove wasn't intact anyway, only the hand part was chopped off, the wrist cover was still on Vader's forearm!)

Kylo Ren's saber is not Vader's rebuilt... the detailing on it is all kinds of wrong. It's got some vertical black bits around the lower half & base, but they don't match those on Vader's hilt at all, really, just a similar stylistic choice...they also flare out at the base.

Aftermath has an old beat-up saber being sold to some 'dark' characters, but even the seller doesn't know--or care--whether it's really Vader's old saber. Perhaps it's what Kylo uses as a base for his saber; perhaps not. Theoretically Vader's saber might have survived the explosion, but would it have been picked up in orbit? Plummeted to the forest moon? Fallen into the primary planet?

23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Maz could possibly have one, so could Leia and what about Rey or Finn building their own saber?

24. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah and that would be fine for me. My comment was only based on the suggestion that only the 2 lightsabers of Luke are used by the good guys. ;)

Django Fett likes this.
  25. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    That's ok, I think its going to be awkward if Finn and Rey have to share the same lightsaber isn't it? :D

nightangel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.