main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What, or whom shoots C-3PO in Cloud CIty?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by deepbluejedi, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    This has been bothering me forever. Is it a stormtrooper? Boba Fett? Another droid? An Ugnaught?

2. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    What's always bothered me is the fact that the stormtrooper that shoots Threepio sounds like Yoda...

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    it's a stormtrooper. i don't think boab would bother saying "freeze". my question is why they shot him in the first place, a robot that looks exactly like him just left the room.

4. Kebis

Kebis Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2001
    I think he gets shot because of how nervous he sounds. The stormtrooper didn't want to take any chances that Han and Leia would find out about them. And if the trooper shot the wrong one, well, droids can be put back together after getting shot. It's happened to C3P0 at least twice now. :)

5. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    Yeah, it does sound alot like Yoda...I just never knew exactly what it was.

6. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Was it all a ruse to get rid of Threepio early on? Threepio hears an Artoo Unit inside the room, but we don't find out if there was one in there/

7. darthsmozers

darthsmozers Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2000
    and yet if this happened in a PT movie, everyone would demand a reasoning :p

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    My guess is that the Empire was monitering Han and the gang's arrival by video or something. They must have known who was on the Falcon so when they saw the golden droid...BLAMO!

9. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    It's a stormtrooper.

Later on when Chewie is putting him back together: "Stormtroopers? Here? I've got to tell the others! Oh no, I've been shot!" Or something like that.

10. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    It's a stormtrooper, but at that point in the story, you're not supposed to know that.

If the voice was instantly recognizable as a stormtrooper, the audience would be tipped off that the troopers were already in Cloud City. So they made the voice a mystery for you to wonder about.

11. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Maybe it was Lando?

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    In the original versions, it's a gruff-sounding stormtrooper.

In the special editions, it's a goofy-sounding stormtrooper.

[face_batting]

13. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Thats interesting. I never really realized it was a stormie. I always just thought it was one of the urgnauts and that they used some sort of lazer blaster to blow him apart.

I always took note that the other protocol droid who walks out and says something rude to 3PO was simply just an unfortunate droid which was reassembled and reprogrammed by the little urgnaut creatures to be a nasty droid. And I always assumed that 3PO walked in there and was going to become the next droid to be remade into a sorta nasty "rude" droid and that was what was being done there.

14. Enkei

Enkei Jedi Master star 1

Dec 4, 2003
    Stormtrooper: Get the hell outta here, droid.

*Protocol droid walks out*

*C3PO (Protocol Droid) Walks in*

Stormtrooper: Hey, you there! (I thought I said get the hell out?!)

*shoots*

:p

15. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    While talking about C-3PO being blown to pieces, then I can't understand why and how he and Artoo can move through the shots between the rebels and stormtroopers in the beginning of ANH when both clearly can be dammaged by blastershots.
    Sorry for moving a bit away from actual topic.

16. Darth-Serafin

Darth-Serafin Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    I dont think it was a stormtrooper. That voice just was't right. I think it was some type of alien associated with the Empire but stormtroopers were present at the time.

17. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    According to 3P0, it was stormtroopers. I'm guessing that for the DVD, Temuera Morrison will redub the voice of the Yoda-sounding trooper.

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    or it was one witout helmet, therefore without voice filter

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Why use Morrison's voice though? We don't hear his voice as any of the stormtroopers during the OT...if they were going to make it sound more like a stormtrooper, they should mak it a filtered voice closer to the otehr storm and scout troopers we heard in the films.

20. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    It's possible that Lucas will replace the stormtroopers voices with Morrison's voice(as well as Boba Fett).

21. MR-Mophead-2u

MR-Mophead-2u Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2003
    It is definitely a stormtrooper. If you listen to the "gibberish" Threepio spouts as soon as Chewie re-activates him, Threepio replays the dialougue leading to the moment he got shot, then says "Stormtroopers?! Here?! I must warn the others!"

The only time he would have seen one is before he got shot.

This whole joke reminds me of the story of Chuck Berry punching Keith Richards in the eye:

Stormtrooper: Get the hell outta here, droid.

*Protocol droid walks out*

*C3PO (Protocol Droid) Walks in*

Stormtrooper: Hey, you there! (I thought I said get the hell out?!)

*shoots*

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> It's possible that Lucas will replace the stormtroopers voices with Morrison's voice(as well as Boba Fett).<<

I don't think he'll replace the stormtrooper voices, since they're of varying body types and heights in the OT- which Lucas has mentioned is the result of using non-Jango DNA, so they wouldn't sound like Morrison then.

Boba I could understand, though I hope they don't- Boba's voice is much cooler, and I like the idea that Boba's life expieriences have been different enough to give him some differences from Jango.

23. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    I say it was an Imperial officer.

24. GoalTaylor33

GoalTaylor33 Jedi Master

Oct 21, 2002
    Yeah, an officer is possible...usually Imperial Officers are accompanied by Stormtroopers, so it could have been an officer.
    Although with the text of the movie and how it goes, it was probably meant to be a stormtrooper.

25. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    If this scene was in the PT, there would be a lengthy thread complaining about it, calling it a plot hole and poor writing and evidence of how Lucas is sloppy and lazy and doesn't care about his movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.