What order does George Lucas want us to watch these films?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Genius, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorZaius Jedi Knight

star 1
    you watch the films 1-6
    if you say otherwise, i hate you.
  2. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    otherwise ;)

I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on my SW LD's for nothing!
  3. DarthKarde Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  4. the_chosen_two Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd have to agree with the above.
    I'd be showing future people Ep.4,5,1,2,3,6

You'd be able to get most of the surprising moments without spoilers.
  5. jimkk29 Jedi Master

star 4
    When my friends asked me to introduce them to the Star Wars films, I told them to watch ep 4-6 first, and AFTERWARDS I gave them the PT DVD's.
  6. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You know, 4,5,1,2,3,6 doesn't sound too bad. Then again, it would also depend on what 3 shows us.

BTW, does anyone here watch the Indiana Jones trilogy in episodic order? ;)
  7. Darth_Genius Jedi Padawan

Well, first of all, I personally only watch Raiders. It's the only one I like. But secondly, Indiana Jones is a series of adventures, not one long continuous story. Kinda like James Bond.
  8. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I only watch Raiders also. I was just curious how many people knew of the episodic order of them.
  9. Emos-Edud Jedi Master

star 4
    Doom, Raiders, Crusade.

Coincidentally, the order in quality from BEST to worst.

I love "Temple of Doom."
  10. Krash RSA Emeritus

star 5
    Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI...it's tough watching OT in order (takes a longtime) watching all 6 is gonna require "final week" amounts of sleep depravation.

I hate that they changed the name from Raiders of the Lost Ark...I understand there is a timeline to consider, but come on! It just takes away from the history of the original release "renaming" the movie to match the other 2.And it kills the joke about Indy and his gun (in the marketplace scene of Raiders) where he goes for his gun...and it's not there.
  11. Vanthorne_OX Jedi Knight

star 3
    Why make a big deal of the order he wants us to watch them? Sure he thinks of the saga as one long movie, so naturally that means chronological order, but in the end it's your decision, so why make a mountain out of a molehill :p?

I would hope people would be open to the idea of watching them both ways in the future, because it doesn't matter. The only reason this issue is raised is because he started in media res of the overall story. And when he decided to make the prequels he made them cater to both first time viewers and repeat viewers like us. Like Lord_Hydronium said, there are plenty of "surprises" in the prequels. And OT "surprises" are still interesting and enhanced by the prequels (i.e. He finally told him he was his dad!, What is up with Yoda acting strange?, etc.) And there are in-jokes, some of which first time viewers won't realize in the PT, but in the OT instead. And the rest of the in-jokes will be recognized on repeat viewings.

I think viewing them chronologically is the logical idea, but anyone is certainly welcome to view them in any order so there's no need to dwell on that.
  12. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Me personally, I-VI.
    I'm training up for the big 6-films-in-a-row session already :p I've done the 5-film run once before.

And you do get some great surprises with the PT first. Surely a first-time watcher of SW would never believe just what happens to that sweet little kid from Tatooine...
  13. D_Lowe Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    He wants to to watch 1-6. If you like it better 4-6, then 1-3, I'm sure Lucas won't mind.
  14. khairul_azwan Jedi Knight

star 1
    plot-wise its quite obvious you have to watch the movie chronologically 1-6 but the topic starter has a point: story telling wise the pt implicates the ot more than the other way around i.e. those who've seen the ot can live w/o watching the pt but the pt viewers almost have to watch the ot due to its self-referential nature. say for instance watching ANH you dont get the feeling that the story has more depth than what you see onscreen, but watching TPM you get the feeling a lot of things are implied, happening behind the scenes or foreshadowing whats going to happen.

can i get a witness? HIT ME!
  15. khairul_azwan Jedi Knight

star 1
    off topic: temple of doom? the best? as a kid yeah sure but have you seen it recently? jumping of the plan on a raft? the scene where kate freaks out while indy and mr round play cards? the entire climax where indy takes all takers like his 1st name arnold/sylvester? COME ON! i had to double check the directing credits: spielberg's career low point (ooh but theres AI...)

KA
    p.s. dont y'all get touchy now, i'm just ripping for the sake of ripping.

PPS. doom still sucks!
  16. Vanthorne_OX Jedi Knight

star 3
    khairul_azwan come join us in the Lucasfilm Forum if you want to discuss the merits of Temple of Doom. :D

Different people may find starting with the OT and working back to the PT to make more sense and others may find that more confusing, preferring to stick with chronological order.

The alien/otherwordly nature of SW makes it complex to some people regardless of what part of the saga it's from.

Example:

That's the one with the fat slug in it right?

No, it's ESB.

Yeah, that's what I meant, the one with the walking machines on the snow!

17. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    I would probalby watch from one to six!
  18. ratmankey Jedi Master

star 4
    I still think OT-PT is far more interesting and powerful for a FIRST time viewer. Once you're familiar with the story, you can watch in whatever order you want. but I definitely think the OT is ruined if you watch the PT first. (for the first time, that is) The biggest thing is, let's face it...people are really shallow when it comes to movies. I shudder to think of all those kids who will watch the prequel trilogy, be blown away by the special effects, and then watch ANH and be bored out of their mind because it's (comparatively) slow and low-tech. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. I've already encountered it...the kids next door will sit and watch TPM without a peep, but they started wandering around after 30 minutes of ANH.
  19. SomeRandomNerd Force Ghost

star 4
    The whole "but you need to see the OT to understand the PT" (or vice versa) argument implies that someone out there might only want to watch them once...

Weirdo.
    8-}
  20. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.