main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What order should I read these books in?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jkarateking, Jan 4, 2017.

1. jkarateking

jkarateking Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    A few star wars books have caught my eye as looking good. they are:

- Tarkin
    - Lords of the sith
    - Rogue One Catalyst
    - Darth plageuis

Firstly, are they all canon?

Secondly, if they are canon then what order should I read them in (I would like chronological order).

Thirdly, are they all normal novels and not young reader novels?

Fourthly, what other books would you recommend that are canon? I dont like the characters of luke, leia or han but I love prequel anakin, prequel obi-wan, original trilogy tarkin, original trilogy darth vader, prequel and original trilogy emperor and I love the empire (I dont like it where the rebels just constantly win, the empire need to win sometimes).

Thanks,
    Jacob

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    The first three are canon. Plaguise isn't, but it is a great book and I highly recommend it. It still fits with the new canon and I doubt anything would ever contradict it.

Chronological order would be Plageius, Lords of the Sith, Catalyst, and Tarkin (the timelines in the book reverse these two, but the ending of catalyst makes it clear it comes first.) The first half of Catalyst is before Lords of the Sith, but the last past is after.

They are all adult novels. I will say that some of the young reader novels have been fantastic. Also they just started publishing young adult novels. They have only released two so far, but those were good.

Lost Stars is a young adult novel that you may like. It was a great book. It covers the Original Trilogy through the end of the war from the pov of two new characters. One of the main characters is an Imperial officer. It provides some good perspective on the war and it created some really good characters. There are no more Empire centric books, but i think you may like Battlefront: Twilight Company. It's about a Rebel Infantry Company after Yavin to after the Battle of Hoth. It was really good. It's like a darker and grittier version of Rogue One. A New Dawn is good. It's about Kanan before Rebels. It added a cool new Imperial officer, she has become very important in canon and is an awesome character; one of my favorite Imperial in Star Wars. It was a very informative look at how the Empire operated.

The only book with Anakin and Obi-Wan in canon I'd Dark Disciple. They aren't main characters but they do make an appearance in the final part. It's an adapted TCW arc. I will say it isn't a great book though.

I'd also suggest the Aftermath Trilogy. Han and Leia do appear, but they aren't main characters. The main cast are new characters on the side of the Rebels. The books cover the last year of the GCW. The books are pretty interesting. It's fun to see what the Empire was doing after Endor and the officer from A New Dawn has a really large role.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Chronologically it goes Plagueis, Catalyst, Lords of the Sith, Tarkin. Plagueis isn't canon but Luceno (who also wrote Catalyst and Tarkin) references his old work a lot and the book contradicts very little with the current canon, aside from Darth Maul's mother who is an extremely small part of the book (like less than a chapter).

I would also read Dark Lord by Luceno which again isn't canon but is heavily referenced in Tarkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  4. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    For Obi-Wan and Anakin in canon you also have the 5 issue comic series of the same name.
    http://marvel.com/comics/series/21020/obi-wan_and_anakin_2016_-_present

If you like Vader then the Darth Vader comic is a must. This also has some crossover with the main Star Wars comic but that is more focused on Luke/Han/Leia, although it does have one issue focused on Obi-Wan. If you like prequel era stuff there is also a Darth Maul mini-series (5 issues) starting in February I believe. These are all mostly out as trade paperbacks at this point, or available digitally from Amazon, Comixology or Marvel themselves & others.
    http://marvel.com/comics/series/19379/darth_vader_2015_-_present
    http://marvel.com/comics/series/19242/star_wars_2015_-_present

I'd also agree with JediKnight75's recommendations of Lost Stars, New Dawn and Battlefront.

spicer and JediKnight75 like this.
  5. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    How could I have forgotten about those comics?! I second the recommendations for Darth Vader and Obi-Wan and Anakin. Both are great and are finished so you can get the entire series. The Darth Maul mini series should be good as well.