main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What other fictional universes do you enjoy?

Discussion in 'Community' started by kubricklynch, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    What is Warhammer 40K?

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I have a soft spot for the Marvel and Dune (pre-rape) universes.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    LAJ_FETT, yeah, the first 8 or 10 Honor books were good stuff, but Weber really needs an editor who will line out all the boring stuff that has been bloating the later books into tedium. I haven't read the latest ones; I just look at the size of them, think about how much I'll have to wade through to get to the exciting parts, and decide it's not worth the effort.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Warhammer 40K is basically space combat in the 41st century. It started out as a miniatures game and has expanded to books and other media. I've never played the game but I am a big fan of the novels. Here's a bit of a beginner's guide. And here's a newcomer's guide. (Language warning on the latter site - nothing bad, just some words not allowed here.)
    On the first site the Eisenhorn Trilogy is recommended as a starting place, and that's where I started. The Inquisitors have ended up being my favorite area of reading. It's a good place to dip your toe in.
    The books are a mix of combat (both planetary and space-based), politics, and religious conflict. Dan Abnett has written a lot of the books and I've said in Lit that I'd love to see him write a SW book. I don't think he'd do a good Jedi-based novel but for something like Clone Wars I think he'd be great.

Sarge - I just got tired of them when it seemed every other book she was either captured or a prisoner. In the end I didn't bother with the new ones.

Sarge likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I never got into WH40K but I did read this history of the God Emperor of Man and thought it cool as hell.

I too got into Niven's Known Universe, and Protector is among my favorite books.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    SW is far and away my favorite, and there really aren't many others that I get into. The Middle-earth universe would be one that I do enjoy for the most part, and another would be the Bond / 007 universe if that even counts. And recently I've been getting into the Harry Potter universe with my son.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Universal Century Gundam and Shin Megami Tensei are probably the only properties where I actually enjoy "the fictional universe" as much as I enjoy the individual works. Like, I enjoy Star Wars, but IDGAF about the Star Wars universe.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    How conversations happen in David Weber books.

Person A: "Hi Person B, how are you today?"

Four pages of exposition detailing historical events of the Republic of Haven

Person B: "I'm doing well, you?"

EDIT: Also, Rob S Pierre? REALLY?

Sarge likes this.