main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What percentage of your literary intake is Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ackbar_Van_Gungan, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    After reading part of the "What are you reading right now?" thread I just had this question:

What percentage of your literary intake is Star Wars?

Out of every 10 books that you choose to read how much of it is Star Wars related?
    (Don't include required reading for work or school)

Also, What do you fill the rest of your time with?

For me, its probably 5 to 10% Star Wars where I ususually wait until the series is completed before reading it. (The NJO sucked). I am currently trying to catch up on my Classic Science fiction (I recently discovered the SF Masterworks series only available in the UK so I am trying to get my hands on some of those fairly cheap) but I have started reading some satirical fiction Vonnegut and Palahniuk. I also have been reading a lot of recent critically acclaimed books such as those by Umberto Eco and David McCullough.

Discuss

-The Rebel Gungan

2. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Well, I usually read a new Star Wars book every month or two. But that's not really very much.

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I would say that it's probably 10-20%, depending on how many novels they put out in a certain length of time. I read a lot of the novels in the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance series. I also read the occasional western, mystery, or historical fiction novel.

4. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Sadly (or not, however you look at it), Star Wars, Terry Brooks novels, and various magazines are the only things I really read... but, at this point, I'd say its sitting at around 60%. I really enjoy the books, and its better than not reading at all ;)

5. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    This time last year, it was 30-40%. Now, it's 90%. Unfortunatley, Maths > Reading. :\

6. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    About 80-90%

I love it.

7. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    About 10% usually, something like twice that much during the last few months.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably 90%. Not much time to read as it is, and I don't intend to really read the other books I've got until I'm caught up on SW, generally speaking- though sometimes the ocassional interest pops up the urge to check something else out (most recent example for me would be a book on Norse mythology I worked in after The Joiner King).

9. jedimasterED

jedimasterED Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 10, 1999
    For every Star Wars item I read (including books, comics, RPG stuff, reference materials, etc.), I try to read 2 non-Star Wars items. It works out pretty well, actually: For a comic, I read two or three magazine or journal articles; for a book, obviously two books.

So, 33% of my literary intake is Star Wars fiction or Star Wars-related.

10. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Less than 10%.

I read mostly nonfiction, and natural health books.

The one I'm reading right now is Be Alert, Be Aware, Have a Plan. It's about crime prevention.

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    For the last couple years it's been like 90%. But I've only got like 3 more books to read before I'm done with every currently published novel so it will drop down quite a bit by the end of the year I'm sure.

12. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    90-95% It is a rare day that I don not read a Star Wars book.

13. GreenLightsaber24

GreenLightsaber24 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 19, 2002
    Roughly 90 percent. Right now, there's little outside of Star Wars that I'm interested in reading, and [shameless plug]I've been workin on the character list for NJOE, so I HAVE to read SW. It's now kinda my job.[shameless plug off]

14. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    about 10% is SW/sci-fi. I love reading, especially books by Anne Tyler and Clive Cussler.

15. Obiyodawinduvader

Obiyodawinduvader Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2005
    Well the only times I read are for school or if its a Star Wars book, and since school is out of the question, then it would be safe to say my intake is 100% Star Wars.

16. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

90% of my fiction is Star Wars, but overall i'd say a little less than %50

17. Sand_Hill

Sand_Hill Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    lately 100%.I don't think I've read a non-SW book in two years. but soon, I will have pretty much read all the adult novels, so That percentage should drop quite a bit.

18. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    100%

I've accepted the fact that all (fictional) books are formulaic, filled with repeating trends when it comes to character development, and plot progression. Having accepted that fact, I stick to the one (fictional) world that I'm interested in.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'd say about 30-40%.

20. darktalon

darktalon Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    100%, but only because I hadn't read any Star Wars novels for ages and decided to catch up. :)

21. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Pretty much the same as the guy above me. Before I bought Splinter last year, it was a big fat 0%. As in I didn't touch the stuff, now my goal is to finish the entire EU, and to do so it has sucked up 100% of my reading material. As soon as I am done, I'll probably read Silence of the Lambs, since right before I started the EU I had read Hannibal and Red Dragon. (Yes I know... wrong order)

22. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    Lately about 80%, with school stuff, newspaper, personal research, etc. not counting.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  24. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Around 50%.

*Walks over to Darth_Guy.*

[face_tired]

25. cartographer

cartographer Jedi Master star 1

Jan 2, 2003
    More than 90%. I don't have much time to read and I try to read every Star Wars book, so that doesn't leave time for much else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.