main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What planet is this:

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by midthomp, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midthomp

midthomp Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    At the very beginning of ESB during a pan down from the star destroyer releasing probe droids there is a brief glimpse of a planet. What planet is that supposed to be?

2. marky_wan

marky_wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2003
    its a moon for Hoth I think

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's not Hoth, or a part of the Hoth system. It's just a random planet.

4. master-jedi-yojimbo

master-jedi-yojimbo Jedi Master

Jan 17, 2004
    actually if you look closely you will see that there are two planets. one starburd,looks kinda like tatooine, the other is aft-port and that looks like the death star. i know its not, but its features and shadows look same. but nothing to suggest that its hoth or its system. when we see the probes shoot from the s.d. we follow one into space and the next clip is hoths' outer-atmosphere.

5. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's the sixth planet of the Hoth System. That's where the Rebel base was.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Um, Hoth is a snow planet. Neither of those planets seen near the Stalker was white.

7. Darth_Falcon

Darth_Falcon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 11, 2002
    [face_laugh] @ Bib

Its not Hoth, its not a Hoth moon and its not in the Hoth System.

It(They) would be planets in the Outer Rim undoubtedly.

8. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    If my memory serves my correctly don't the Imperials have to all jump into hyperspace to get to Hoth? Plus the Star Destroyer probably could have scanned the planet if they were by Hoth anyway.

9. Master_Ripley

Master_Ripley Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2003
    Random planet.

10. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
  11. fcz1

fcz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Definitly not Hoth. The Imperials had to jump to hyperspace to get there after the probe droid found them. Then Admiral Ozzel came out of hyperspace too close to the system alerting the rebels to their prescence, thus the evacuation.

That Ozzel...as clumsy as he is stupid.

12. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It's simply one of the planets in the Hoth System.

13. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The Star Destroyer that released the probe droids wasn't anywhere near Hoth. Between the probe leaving the Destroyer and the probe crashing down on Hoth several hours take place. You can see the camera focus on a certain probe droid heading into a starry space, no Hoth in sight. It took the droid many hours to get to Hoth

If the Star Destroyer was near Hoth, it wouldn't need to send a probe droid down, it would be able to scan the planet for lifeforms and technology.

Also, the Imperials had to jump to lightspeed to reach Hoth, meaning they obviously couldn't have been there already.

14. master-jedi-yojimbo

master-jedi-yojimbo Jedi Master

Jan 17, 2004
    i think it has been made clear it was not hoth or its system, so midthomps' question needs closure. they are just random meaningless planets that look like tatooine and the death star

15. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I may be wrong but doesn't the camera follow a probe droid from the SD to a planet and onto the snow covered surface where it hits?

When Luke later sees something hit the surface I always thought it was that same probe, movies do somethimes show an event and than back track time wise to show a character (Luke) and then lead up to the same event (probe hitting surface) from the character's point of view. I always looked at the opening of ESB this way, maybe I'm wrong but we do see the probe hitting a snow covered surface before we are introduced to Luke.

16. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I think what Luke sees is actually a meteor.......the probe hits later in the film.

17. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Random planet. It'd be absurd for the Empire to be sending out probes in the system they're looking for. And the fleet moves out of light speed from somewhere as Vader and the commanders said.

That idea with the meteor and the probe being separate makes sense.

18. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    So what they had to enter Lightspeed to reach Hoth. What is stopping them from beingthere before then relizing that that was the Planet they needed to be invading?

And I think (im not sure) but wasnt there only one stardestroyer there? the others would have had to enter lightspeed to get there.

19. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    The databank on the OS says that the probe droid travels in a hyperspace pod...

So why would they bring it all the way to the Hoth system when it can get there by itself?

20. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Not only that, but why bother looking through the sensors of the probe droid if they are already over the planet? People really aren't thinking here.

21. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    What Luke saw WAS the probe droid landing. We, the viewer, are treated to one perspective of the probe droid landing, where we see it impact close-up, and see the probe droid itself emerge and float away.

Then we jump back in time a few seconds. Luke is out on his Tauntaun on patrol, and then sees the same "meteor" land. He checks in with Han, and probably would have investigated the wreckage and known something fishy was going on, or seen the probe droid himself. This would have saved a lot of grief later. Unfortunately, the Wampa attacked and Luke had no chance to investigate the "meteor". Otherwise, he could have stopped the droid and the Empire never would have known the rebels were on Hoth.

Darn those Wampas!

22. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Maybe it was a coincidence that they happened to be above hoth when they let lose a few probes

23. Alomanuma_Topha

Alomanuma_Topha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 2, 2004
    So there's only 1 probe droid per planet? wow, those things much get around really fast.

24. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    The planet was not Hoth; if it were, the rebels would know the Imperials were in the system.

It was indeed the probe droid that Luke sees. The shot right before we first see Luke is the probe ship starting to burn up on entry into Hoth's atmosphere.

25. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Ok Sarg, you win...

There's a 0,00000000001 % chance that it's Hoth. :-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.