main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapitated-Jango

Decapitated-Jango Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    "Two fighters against a star destroyer? durrrrrrrr."

2. PuccaKenobi

PuccaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    Uh yeah, I will not just "get over it" with the religous virgin birth ridiculos story line. Lucas puts that in and then tries to scientifically explain the force.. what a mess.

3. MaraJade2006

MaraJade2006 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2003
    I like Jar-Jar! :p *prepares for bombardment* hehe...

All of the corny puns at the end of AOTC.
    The whole Luke and Leia thing. Blah.

But those are pretty much the only things, and they don't make me love Star Wars any less, I would just take them out if I could. :) Star Wars is still the #1 movie! [face_love]

4. JediWithoutACause

JediWithoutACause Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2001
    most irritating...

PLOTLINE - anakin's confession and padme brushing it off.

CHARACTER - mace windu. man, will GL ever give him a decent line? and is sam jackson ever gonna snap out of it?

SCENE -

logically: TIE: greedo missing han from a foot away and luke struggling up the side of the sail barge and then he merely 'knocks' the skiff guards down with his lightsaber.

visually: TIE: the awful rancor effect and the way ewan looks during the scene where he's apologizing to liam while jar jar goes to otah gunga.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The only thing that will still bother me, and I mean the only thing (Jar-Jar's over the top but whatever, there are individuals like that out there. It's annoying but whatever), is Anakin's virgin birth if it stands. I get that it's just fantasy and it's just my own religious beliefs balking at that being used in a fictional story, but still, there you have it.

Of course, this isn't including the SEs. If we counted those as real SW films, there'd be a heck of a lot I really disliked. But I don't, so I'm happy :)

JediWithoutaCause: the Ewan thing, you referring to the bad wig? That wig looks completely stupid, but we all have bad hair days, right? I mean, the guy probably hasn't showered in a while anyway... ;)

EDIT: Oh wait! I thought of the one single thing in the OT I wanted changed (which wasn't): old lady with chimp eyes Emperor [face_plain] Come on, if GL thought all these other changes needed to be made but honestly didn't think that needed to be Ian in there, he really truly has gone off the deep end. And I suspect he has.

-sj loves kevin spacey

6. Brody

Brody Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2004
    PLOTLINE- Dooku was Yoda's padawan?? C'mon.

"I thought I could train him just as well as Yoda...I was wrong"

Judging from the looks of things, apparently Obi Wan followed in Yoda's footsteps.

CHARACTER- Mace Windu. The most wooden character in the saga. Hopefully EP. III brings out something in him.

SCENE- Droid factory in AOTC.

7. SkyWard

SkyWard Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    A few people said: "...the virgin birth..."

Virgin birth? I thought the midichlorians were the father.(wink. wink.)

Obviously, George Lucas is basing this virgin birth on the Saoshyants of the Zoroastrian religion. Could it be any more blatant?

8. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Definitely when Padme tells Anakin she loves him just before they are supposed to be executed. It is so bad I just can't watch it. Good thing DVDs have chapters :)

9. Senor_Obi-Juan

Senor_Obi-Juan Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2004
    **Bashing bashing bashing, and sape told me there was no bashing in the film forums. OH well.

Midicholorians are there for one reason only, to show that Anakin is special. It would sound really dumb in Obi-Wan said "I sense the highest amount of force in him, even more than Yoda"

There is a spiritual and biological side of the force. Thats the way it is.

-Seldon **

Yea but couldn't Lucas just treat Anakin as yet another being worthy of jedi-training only to reveal to us much later in the prequels that Anakin is more powerful than the Jedi couldve ever imagined?

I think that would've made for a much more compelling story because it wouldve shocked the hell out of Yoda & the boys, not to mention it would make Anakin's journey to the drak side so much more powerful! Can you imagine the cinematic brilliance of a scene where Obi Wan finally realizes that not only is his 'student' now a 'master' but also the strongest jedi ever!?!?! (dont forget he takes out the emperorin RotJ!)

Wow, not to sound cocky or Han Solo-ish but i think i'm pretty bad ass with this post!!! :)

10. Senor_Obi-Juan

Mar 26, 2004
    **edited above**

11. Senor_Obi-Juan

Mar 26, 2004
    ****The only thing I do not like in the whole Star Wars saga is that two-headed announcer guy at the Boonta Eve Pod Race.

I'm sorry, but he sucks ronto bits. *****

I agree!!!! He was straight out of a saturday morning cartoon! Haann-Barbera would've been proud! :))

12. Darth_Ice

Darth_Ice Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 21, 2004
    You know, when put into that perspective, that two-headed announcer guy does seem pretty out of place! Other then that, I am definately not a fan of JarJar in any circumstances. I also thought a lot of Anakin's lines in TPM could have been junked.

13. StormtrooperJay

StormtrooperJay Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2004
    You know what ticked/ticks me? Two things actually. The whole Syfo-Dias thing has me in a tizzy. I'm trying to stay away from alot of the spoilers, but I'm so intrigued by who he is/was, the Clone Army, etc. But that's another post in a thread not so far away.
    Second is the 'pitifulness' in the portrayal of the Stormtroopers. Now I know I picked them as my alias, they've been my favorites forever. But they die like punks, and their aim? Obi Kenobi"...only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise..." Yeah. Right. They couldn't hit the broadside of Naboo if they were in the Palace grounds.:) But I digress. I LOVE the Stormtroopers. Just hate how they can't hit nothing and die so easily for elite troops with armor on.

14. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    For me it was the scene in AOTC when Jar Jar gave those emergency powers to Palpatine.

Every time I think of that scene it drives me off the wall. Because of him he was the one that helped Palpy grow into even more power.

15. Maul2931

Maul2931 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2004
    I agree with stormtrooperjay, whats there deal?

16. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    The introduction of medichlorines(I know thats spelled wrong)It just peeved me and my friends off. My friend TJ fast foprwards through that scene and refuses to watch it. Lucas really let me down there.

17. Vampi_Digitalwytch

Vampi_Digitalwytch Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2004
    I've seen a copy of The Phantom Edit and I've got to admit that it is a better movie with the trimming of the emphasis on midichlorians and Anakin's 'Yippie's. To me, the latter seemed forced, just thrown in to emphasize he's a child.

I've got issues with the portrayal of the romance between Anakin and Padme. GL writes action well, but he couldn't write romance if someone put a gun to his head in my opinion. The Han/Leia portrayal was handled better, but I still think it could use a little more.

I absolutely loathed the ewoks and Jar-Jar. I know they were pretty much put in for marketing, but yeesh...they just put my teeth on edge.

The discreet alterations from the OT such as changing things from Han shooting first to Greedo shooting first also sticks in my craw since to me it cheapens Han's change of heart from the self centered smuggler to the Rebel hero he became.

18. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Two things bug me more than anything else, and they're pretty much the same kind of thing:

1. Jar Jar in the battle at the end of TPM
    2. C-3P0 in the battle at the end of AOTC

Both were intense battles, people getting killed left right and centre, and really could do without all the cheesy lines and comedy acting...

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I like these movies. None of it irritates me.

20. Philip023

Philip023 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2002
    Spoken like only Gomer can.

Line: "I truly deeply love you" So god awful I must fastforward every time I watch it.

Scene: fireplace scene. if there was ever a romantic moment in film - this was the worst, most contrived one of them all.

characterization: hey gomer, want to continue our jar jar battle? Well he's so awful, he doesn't merit discussion.

wasted performance: Samuel Jackson. absolutely wasted in every regard.

Most reviled revision of the Sw saga: greedo shooting first. Han's characterization is perfect....and then is promptly ruined by George's "rewrite".

Worst effect: SE of Han walking over Jabba; anakin riding that huge tick on Naboo.

Battle ruined: c3po offering comic relief in place of the ousted jar jar in the arena battle.

21. El Tom the Jedi of Love

El Tom the Jedi of Love Jedi Youngling

Jul 16, 1999
    Nothing really bothered me in the saga until midichlorians. If I want to be really anal than I can mention other things from TPM, but really was able to get past all that and love TPM. AOTC was too bad though for me to let go so here are the most irritating things to me (put AOTC here if thats allowed if not then....)

The relationship between Anakin and Obi-wan (Anakin's character overall bugs me)

Count Dooku (I'll add his fight with Yoda here)

How Jedi have gone from being wise wizards to arrogant, boring, identical, warrior nuns.

22. NeimoidianReport

NeimoidianReport Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2004
    It's hard to put together a list like this since I love SW so much, but here are some of my beefs:

Plotline: Everybody being connected in some close way. Fathers, sons, sisters, teachers, students. Gasp, it's all so interesting and shocking every time we see yet another main character reveal a close association with other characters. Runner up would be the whole virgin birth, midichlorians, balance of the force garbage that crops up and immediately disappears from the films.

Character(s): The entire Jedi order in the PT. Wow, I feel so emotionally attached to weak, aloof, condascending, ineffective carboard cutout characters that are complicit with a corrupt government. Silly me, I always thought that the Jedi might enjoy their work. Instead they go at it like accountants working in a tax shelter.

Scene: I'm going to buck the trend and not put down the love scene. I actually enjoyed those, and the ones that were bad were so corny they somehow came full circle and became fun again. My vote goes for the Tusken murder confession scene. Anakin's whining and Padme's comatose non-reaction to his revelation make for a bizarre non-event event, if you catch my meaning. I got the feeling I just saw something that was earnestly trying to be important and emotional, but it just came off half-baked.

*edit: added missing word to complete sentence*

23. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    Plotline: The "Forbiddan Love Story." Sorry Anakin and Padme are both great characters, SEPERATLY. I got no chemstry from the two and the romance seemed to come out of no where. I got Anakin's end of it but not Padme's. It would be like me dating this 10 year old boy I used to baby sit for. Ew.

Character: Luke Skywalker. Yea I know he's supposed to be the hero and all but he whines a LOT. Even in ESB and ROTJ. Sorry but whiny boys aren't my thing.

Scene: Probably the fireplace scene in AOTC. I was literally making barfing noises in the theater. The guy behind me smacked me on the head and told me to cut it out. (They weren't THAT loud).

Granted, they're major parts of the saga, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less.

I mean come on, we all know the real star of Star Wars is R2. They come right out and say so in R2-D2: Beneath the Dome.

~ Crystal ~

24. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Mace Windu IS A MINOR CHARACTER! Hello, what is he supposed to do? A song and dance? I prefer him being bland, because the world is full of bland people, and most of them are in high places. Not every one is interesting in the world...

25. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Wanna know what really annoys me? I can up it up in eight words:

1. The
    2. Phantom
    3. Menace
    4. And
    5. Attack
    6. Of
    7. The
    8. Clones