Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthsidious32 Jedi Master

star 4
    There isn't really any one particular plotline, character or scene that irritates me above all others, so I'll just list everything:

Plotline:

The ewoks defeating the Stormtroopers.

"It's a nightmare!" This is another plotline that perhaps works ok with an audience seeing it for the first time, but isn't really funny after that. Maybe if there wasn't so much emphasis on 3P0's mix-up, it might be ok.

Character:

The podracer announcer. He'd be great for a "Droids" cartoon or something, but not for a SW movie.

Scene:

The "Let's try spinning! That's a good trick!" scene. Anakin should've just shut up like he did when he was podracing.

"The crowds are going nuts! Oooh Ahhh! Oooh Ahhh!" I didn't have a problem with this at first, but it's more of a crowd pleaser to get a first time audience excited at a theater, and not really something I can enjoy watching by myself.

"R2-D2, your highness." This scene where we get introduced to R2-D2 is winking at me too much. It's another one of those scenes that works ok for an audience seeing it for the first time, but not for home enjoyment. It's got too much of the "Hey, this is a character from the OT that you've come to know and love for so long, and he's back!" thing going on.

"Exqueeeeeze me." In fact, most of the Jar Jar scenes in TPM. The key word is "most." I did like some of his scenes, but most were just Lucas saying, "Hey, look what ILM can do with a digital creature!" and didn't add to the plot at all. They got him right in Ep. II though.

Eeopie fart. Has no business being in a SW movie.

"I'm sorry master, but I couldn't find a speeder that I really liked..." This line was fine, but then it went on too long: "...with an open cockpit, and the right speed capabilities." The line wasn't delivered well, and it wasn't needed to make the joke funny. It was funny before, but the second half of the line just kills it.

"We've got to get to that hanger!" How in the heck does Padme know of a specific hanger that Anakin and Obi-Wan were at? It makes sense that she would suspect that Dooku was heading for "a" hanger. But she specifies with the word "that," which makes this scene appear to be a bad edit.

Leia kissing Luke. Luke smiling afterwards. That was just a little much. I know we didn't find out she was his sister until later on, but still. That scene isn't the same anymore.

The "he's my brother" scene. There's just something about this scene that's cheesy with Han's reaction, the kiss, and the smiles afterwards.

The repetativeness of Vader's dialogue. "[fill in the blank] your destiny." "Obi-Wan has taught you well." "[fill in the blank] complete."

"You half-witting, scruffing-looking, nerf-herder!" "Who's scruffing-lookin'?!" etc., etc. This is one of those scenes that works now, but I guarantee if these lines were said in the prequels, people would hate 'em.

I guess when it comes down to it, the prequels have more flaws that are irritating that the OT. Some of it has to do with the amount of time that has passed for the flaws in the OT to grow on me and how little of time has passed for the flaws in the prequels to not grow on me. And others are because they're just simply badly written plotlines, characters, or scenes.

But for me, there are still many more good things about the saga than bad things, so I don't have much of a problem ignoring the bad because most everything is pretty cool.
  2. darthsidious32 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, and I hate the SE song and dance number in Jabba's palace.
  3. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    The Phantom Menace movie
  4. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    For the most part TPM really irrated me. There were parts that were great, but too few. I really loved Aotc, however and it brought my hopes back to '98.
  5. darth-amedda Jedi Master

star 4
    Jake Loyd and all his yiipeees! I also get sick every time I hear the conversation in ESB involving the ghost of Obi1 and Yoda "Was I different when you thaught me?" or sth like that. Rather pathetic. :)
  6. 4LOM Jedi Knight

star 3
    Boba Fett's awful death scene in ROTJ. And the fact he shoots at Luke twice before he gets by Han and he misses by, like, a mile. THAT'S the character that has so many fans???

Other bad stuff:

In ANH, Ben, regarding Anakin: "He was the greatest star pilot in the galaxy. And a cunning warrior...and he was a good friend."

Have we seen ANYTHING in the prequel movies to justify this line?

The character of Qui-Gon: I have nothing against his character per se, and I think Liam Neeson is a good actor. But the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan relationship in TPM should have been Obi-Wan/Anakin. Qui-Gon's character is kind of superfluous to the saga.

Padme in AOTC: "I am a peace-loving, justice-serving individual. You just admitted to slaughtering a tribe of sentient beings. Yet, I will marry you anyway."

DUMB. They should have fallen in love, gotten married, THEN Anakin should have freaked out and killed a bunch of people. THEN the relationship between Anakin and Padme wouldn't have been SO ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE!!!
  7. 4LOM Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh, and let's not forget the PT and its game of 'musical villains'.

TPM-Trade Federation, Darth Maul

AOTC-Dooku, Seperatists, Jango Fett, Zam Wessell

The OT benefitted from one centeral bad guy: Darth Vader. The PT is all over the map. Would it have hurt to introduce Dooku in the FIRST movie so at least one bad guy can be in all 3 PT films? Yes, Darth Sidious will be in all 3 but he's barely in them!
  8. BenduHopkins Force Ghost

star 4
    The only thing I do not like in the whole Star Wars saga is that two-headed announcer guy at the Boonta Eve Pod Race.

I'm sorry, but he sucks ronto bits.

You JUST beat me to saying that. It is my most hated moment. Especially the little dance he does at the end and the tongue call after announcing Jabba.

WHEW! WHAT was George thinking?!
  9. TheLostTrilogy Jedi Padawan

The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Both of their plots suck the suckiest of sucks.
  10. jcb231pluto Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just wanted to address the one poster near the start....Star Wars is NOT Science Fiction. It's just not. It's fantasy.

For those of you that don't know the difference, allow me to toss out a brief explanation. sorta. Sci-Fi extrapolates on current scientific trends or techonologies in the real world and makes them extraordinary stories, often to the point of exaggeration. Fantasy takes place in a world that either never existed or never could exist, uses magic or other un-extrapolated or un-explained phenomenon, and most importalty is not spun out of our real world.
  11. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    4LOM, since when has Obi-Wan Kenobi ever told the truth :p

I really don't like the plotline where GL becomes a meglomaniac and refuses to release the real version of the OT on DVD, forcing true OT purists to procure such DVD copies by illegal means and generally dislike GL. It's so heartbreaking :_|

-sj loves kevin spacey
  12. darth-amedda Jedi Master

star 4
    "In ANH, Ben, regarding Anakin: "He was the greatest star pilot in the galaxy. And a cunning warrior...and he was a good friend."
    Have we seen ANYTHING in the prequel movies to justify this line?"

I think it's Anakin who's the only human who can participate in (and win) podracing, who managed to destroy Trade Federation Ship, who made Ob1 sick chasing Zam on Coruscant, who was leading space fights in CW cartoons, who rescued Ob1's life fighting Dooku. And I must say that the chatting in the Coruscant elevator implies quite good and friendly relationships between A and Obi. Or have I seen the wrong prequel movies?
    DARTH-FURBABY likes this.
  13. Ornen Jedi Master

star 4
    As for annoying scenes, the Qui/Obi/Maul duel. I guess it looked neat, but it served no real purpose. No matter who won, the TF would still have been defeated and pushed off the planet.

Couldn't you say the same about the Luke vs Vader vs Palpatine fight in RotJ?

I kinda think that Anakin should have turned a little later on. This would give him more time to establish himself as a great Jedi and a hero before he turns, instead of being a whiny little kid who turns evil.
  14. xionice Jedi Padawan

I agree with the obi/qui/maul fight. I was watching Episode I the other day and thinking, "if maul had one would it make any difference?" I'm sure he couldn't have taken out every naboo officer, or if sidious would have even wanted (or needed) him too. It's an awesome fight, it just is not a pivotal fight, I would say it is along the lines of the Neo/100 Smiths fight, served no point but to look cool..... but man.... did it look "cool".
  15. ShadesofSiknas Jedi Knight

star 1
    In ROTJ the Ewoks have trees suspended on ropes and let hem swing to crush walkers between them!How did the Ewoks get these trees up there?And if that can be answered how did they get it done in the short amount of time between when they decided to help and the fight?And this cant be answered with they probably had them up there already because why would they have them there?
  16. 4LOM Jedi Knight

star 3
    darth-amedda:

In reply to your reply, I don't see those instances of Anakin driving vehicles well (destroying the TF battleship-accidentally, I might add-, winning the pod race, the speeder chase) as any kind of evidence he was the "best star pilot in the galaxy." The only one of those that takes place in SPACE is the battle with the TF ship and like I said before, he destroys it by accident (plus, he has Artoo's help).

It's pretty obvious that Anakin doesn't really consider Obi-Wan a friend. He's not too eager to head to Geonosis and rescue his mentor (Padme is the initiator of that action) and remember these lines: "HE'S HOLDING ME BACK! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!" Sounds rather like he resents Obi-Wan. Ben says Anakin was a good friend with the air of a guy looking back on a good buddy from the old days. In AOTC they bicker and aren't even around each other for most of the movie. How are we to know they are such good friends?

And Anakin is anythng but a "cunning warrior". Name one thing he's done in a fight in the PT that is "cunning" and maybe I'll see your point of view on that one.

Plus, I don't count cartoons as evidence to support comments made about Anakin in the previous movies. People should be able to watch just the movies and get a coherent story, without having to catch cartoons, read books, play video games, etc too.
  17. Darth_Meul Jedi Master

star 3
    Plus, I don't count cartoons as evidence to support comments made about Anakin in the previous movies. People should be able to watch just the movies and get a coherent story, without having to catch cartoons, read books, play video games, etc too.

And there's still one movie to go to show Anakin as the greatest star pilot, cunning warrior and good friend to Kenobi.
  18. Hudnall Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Yoda duel in AotC... only from lightsaber on.
  19. AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Master

star 4
    Boba Fett or JarJar - I cannot decide who's more irritating. And yes, Jabba is disgusting [face_sick]
  20. Hudnall Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The busstop scene in AOTC. Kills all tension in the "protection" story line.
  21. Oski Jedi Padawan

There are several things I find annoying, but only one of them has not been mentioned already: The youth of the characters.

Anakin is 9 years old in Episode I. His mother (imagine your mother!) believes he can help complete strangers in a potentially deadly podrace? Qui-Gon orders Anakin to stay in a cockpit as a safe place? That was hard to swallow.

Worse: Leia in Episode IV is 19. And an accomplished senator. Leader of the rebellion. No way... Actually, reality has no problems with that. There were young rulers in ancient times and even in our modern German Bundestag the last election in 2002 brought a 19-year old into the parliament (having heard some of her speeches I can only say that this girl belongs in school, not in a national parliament). Still - Leia acts way to mature for 19 years.

Absolutely the worst: Amidala, elected (!) queen of Naboo at 14. I can somehow swallow Anakin and Leia. But Padme's youth is too much. One can be hereditary queen at 14, but one hardly rules at that age. But getting elected head of a state with 14 is beyond my grasp. It gets even worse when one considers that her title is "queen", but Naboo - as standing on the good side - certainly has to be a democracy nevertheless. This is too much political correctness for me. I stumble over these facts every single time I watch the movies.
  22. The_Nameless_One Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't - I'm too caught up in the story [face_love]
  23. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    Plotline: I don't hate it, in fact I very much love it, but I wish the Obi Wan/Anakin relationship was done better. I do think they're close. I think Anakin is at an age where he's just conflicted and selfish, but I wish we'd get more of the bond between them. We get a little bit of it in the elevator scene, but there is so much tension beteween Anakin and Obi Wan in AOTC, that it seems to nullify it completely. I really, really hope we see a closer relationship in ROTS.

Character: Boba Fett. A tiny little character who had maybe 3 lines gets to be the son of another characters, and OMGOSH exploded into the one of the most stupidly controversial characters ever seen in SW. No, shut up fanboys. He is not that cool. He doesn't deserve it.

Scene: I had to really think about this. Probably the escape sequence for Lando, Chewie, and Leia in ESB. It just seems to interrupt during a huge chunk of an important battle. I grate my teeth every time I have to sit through it and watch them go from one platform to the next, ultimately accomplishing not much of anything on the first go.

And some arguing...

In reply to your reply, I don't see those instances of Anakin driving vehicles well (destroying the TF battleship-accidentally, I might add-, winning the pod race, the speeder chase) as any kind of evidence he was the "best star pilot in the galaxy." The only one of those that takes place in SPACE is the battle with the TF ship and like I said before, he destroys it by accident (plus, he has Artoo's help).

You don't find it amazing that a nine year old is able to build, master, and accurately race a pod through a dangerous territory? That he can fly a battleship on his first time on a starfighter and blow up an entire ship? That he take a speeder he's never used before and master it instantly, racing it through Coruscant? I admit we haven't seen anything really, really big yet, but that's because we haven't gotten a chance to. His missions during the Clone Wars cartoons are pretty darn impressive, and I'm sure ROTS will only further it since he's a flight commander.

It's pretty obvious that Anakin doesn't really consider Obi-Wan a friend. He's not too eager to head to Geonosis and rescue his mentor (Padme is the initiator of that action) and remember these lines: "HE'S HOLDING ME BACK! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!" Sounds rather like he resents Obi-Wan. Ben says Anakin was a good friend with the air of a guy looking back on a good buddy from the old days. In AOTC they bicker and aren't even around each other for most of the movie. How are we to know they are such good friends?

Because friends bicker, people butt heads, and Anakin in general is more than a little selfish and impatient and your average teenager. Anakin has said on more than one occasion that he sees Obi Wan like a father. Someone who psychologically invests himself so deeply in those around him isn't going to make a statement like that.

Not eager to save him on Geonosis? Bull. He was obviously torn over it, getting upset when Padme accuses him otherwise, but he was trying to do the right thing for once. The Order asked him to sit there because he knew that he likely couldn't help Obi Wan, and Anakin likely subconsciously knew he couldn't help him, and it wasn't something he was happy about doing. Remember that going after Obi Wan is going to put Padme in danger, so that's two people he loves who may wind up hurt if he goes. And if he didn't care about Obi Wan, he wouldn't have let Padme go, but it's easy to see how happy she was when she aquiesced to saving him by giving him a reason to go. And don't forget the duel scene. Anakin rushed forward, sure, but that's what he always does. But when he flings himself forward to save Obi Wan, he was still in obvious pain. He forced himself out there to save Obi Wan. Had he not cared, he would've just let Dooku strike down Obi Wan and then take his time to recover fully before attacking Dooku. We have a reference to a time when Anakin saved Obi Wa
  24. NeoBaggins Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have exhausted so much hate on TPM that I feel sorry for it now. Even George is abandoning it. Where I hated JarJar, Ric Olie, and Soi Bibble, I now like them and want to see them return.

Iv always been irritated by Natalie Bordman as Padme. She really sucks. And George will soon make my hatred for Hayden complete- which is totally unfair to him but Lucas is driving it. But in the end, the biggest irritant is the OT changes.

Seperatist and trade federations are such cheezy and small things to garner full-scale wars, but hey, whatever gets it there. The plotting is horrible but I dont look for plot in these films. And after seeing TPM and AOTC, theres a few other things I wont have to bother looking for. It will be a great film with lightsabers and dogfights- the best of the new three.
  25. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I always hated Muppetland on Tatooine AKA Jabba's Palace. I like the idea. But practically having every Muppet, type of puppet etc imaginable in that environment is just irritating

Also the Ewoks overcoming the Empire is another irritable moment.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.