main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I addressed that. What's your point?

I said that whether the Sand People were in the city or the suburbs when they were shooting at pod racers, my other points in that post still stand. Not sure why you want to hammer this particular point in twice.

If you are trying to make the point that it was perfectly OK or justified for the Sand People to torture Shmi because they weren't in Mos Espa during the Boonta--or for any other reason, for that matter--that point is going to be very much lost on me.

I'm really not sure where you're going with this.

2. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I never said it was ok to kill shmi....Where did I say that?

3. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    The point is your post didn't make any sense.

4. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I just watched that scene in Ep2...Clegg said that she went out to collect mushrooms on the machines. She wasn't on the homestead when she was captured/kidnapped. The point I am saying is Anakin should not have killed the women & children. The Sand People didnt work for the Hutts or the Empire, so its weird to classify them as evil. They like to shoot at pod racers in the daytime and the Jawas know where they are you know?

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, you didn't say that it was OK to kill Shmi. What you said was, "How do we know that the Sand People are evil?" My response was that if kidnapping an innocent woman and slowly torturing her to death isn't evil, I'm not sure what is. And then went into a lot of explanation why the Sand People might have felt justified in killing Shmi, as if their feeling justified made Shmi's murder somehow acceptable.

Anakin felt justified in killing the Jedi, but that doesn't mean his actions were any less wrong, or that he was less deserving of ending up in that suit.

The women and children Tuskens were probably not evil, but the men and adolescent boys who tortured Shmi? Their picture is in the dictionary next to the word "evil." And on Tatooine, had Anakin not done what he did, they would have gotten away scot-free with their evil deeds.

But I never--not even once--said that it was OK for Anakin to kill the women and the children.

The problem with all the discussions on the Tusken slaughter is that people who are defending the Tuskens, either minimize Shmi's torture and murder or pretend that it didn't happen. For some reason there is all this outrage towards Anakin and none towards the Tuskens, who killed Shmi and 26 farmers (sum total would be about the same as the number of Tuskens Anakin killed, according to the AOTC novelization). Why the double standard?

6. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    If they saw Shmi as a threat I would not call them evil. I do appreciate you not being a troll though. Thats whats up.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If they saw her as a threat, they could have killed her quickly. They kidnapped her and slowly tortured her because they were testing her to see how resilient she was. If you look at the links I provided, describing the "blood rite," a Tusken adolescent male was considered more "manly" if he can find a sentient being who resists death and can thus draw out the torture.

That's not defending oneself against a threat, that's sadism.

8. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    No double standard. Just a different point of view. Who is evil? the Lion or the Zebra? The Shark or the Seal? What were the motives for Shmi capture and torture? What exactly was the reasoning. If it was someone elses mother would the Sand People tribe have been killed like that? Anakin had no business back on his home planet. It was too late for his mother, she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. The sand people were just doing what sand people do...even Palpatine knows this.

9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Lions and sharks don't capture, starve, and torture their prey for thirty days. They just eat them.

10. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    What about spiders?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope. I think the Sand People figured out pretty quickly that they had ****ed with the wrong guy, too.

As far as Anakin "having no business" back on his home planet--if I had left my mother in slavery and ten years later, had very vivid premonitions that she was being tortured, I would not be able to stay away either. It's easy for us to say that he should have been a good little Jedi and followed orders, I'm taking a wild guess that none of us have been in that situation.

Another way the problem would have been solved: if Anakin had left a couple of weeks prior, maybe before he and Obi-Wan went to Ansion. If he had just taken a ship and gone to Tatooine and asked forgiveness later. He probably would have been able to save Shmi. And there probably would have been no dead Sand People. Anakin was prepared to simply sneak into the camp and take her out of there without hurting anyone, at least, as long as he remained undiscovered. It was only after she died in his arms that he went bats.

For what it's worth, I think the Council telling Anakin from the time he arrived on Coruscant to just forget about his mother is a crapload of bunk.

Exactly. The Sand People also weren't planning to eat Shmi.

12. IG-85

IG-85 Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2011
    ROTS when Palpatine goes "No! No! No! You will die!". That one line made most people in the cinema laugh and I felt so embaressed as it sounded so stupid in that tone of voice rather than Palpatines 'public' voice.

My daughter is 7 and loves the Clone Wars cartoon series, so im slowley introducing her to the films, and when I was watching ROTS the other day and she saw this scene, she said that he (Palpatine) sounded like Mr. Bean when he went "No! No! No!", says it all.

13. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    [face_laugh]

I always thought it made the scene creepier. Like, nothing-funny-about-a-clown-after-dark kind of creepy.

14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    :confused: Spiders also "don't capture, starve, and torture their prey for thirty days".

15. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Next movie addition/change:

After frying/killing Mace, Palpatine looks at the camera and says (amidst a Mr.Bean-like grin): "Magic!" .

16. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes I know. Thanks for your time.

17. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    I sense much irritation in this irritable thread.

Please keep the irritations towards other posters at a minimum y'all. [face_peace]

18. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Now that you mention it, the pre-"POWAAAAAAR" grin is almost Bean-like, but again super-creepy. The first time I saw it, I was actually disturbed by how goofy Palpatine becomes as the Emperor. He laughs so much when he's fighting Yoda, you can see him wipe drool from his mouth.

19. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I'm not particularly fond of Anakin keeping his old saber after becoming a Sith, not only for aestheic reasons (I'm not a fan of the blue vs blue duel) but also that means that Luke inherits a tainted weapon that was used to slaughter countless Jedi, including younglings. Anakin should have constructed a new red saber after turning to the dark side.

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Thanks man. Much appreciated.

21. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    The whole stinkin' stupid love sceen in Epi.II. floating fruit and stuff give me a big fat hairy break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. -Ijedi-

-Ijedi- Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2011
    The whole prequel trilogy irritates me! I pretend they don't exist... Funnily enough -I actually enjoy The Phantom Menace more than Clones and Sith due to the horrid acting by Hayden. I even prefer Jar Jar over that clown...

And General Grievous... *Shakes head* I hate the character... The minute he lights up his 4...4!! lightsabers the whole film is just stuffed!

Also -ewoks. Wookies would have been so full of win!!

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How can you enjoy something and at the same time pretend it doesn't exist? And if it irritates you so much, why have you seen all three of them?

24. -Ijedi-

-Ijedi- Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2011
    I don't like any of the prequels. I "enjoy" Phantom in comparison to Clones and Sith! Which isn't saying much...

I have decided to pretend they don't exist because I couldn't make peace with them -they are horrible films with no heart and acting so bad that it makes the films laughable... If you don't like my opinion don't ask fot it!

And as for your question about why have I seen all three? Really? I need to point this out to you? I got my opinions from WATCHING them!!

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If I like your opinion or not is irrelevant. I'm only trying to understand it. But I already see where you're going, so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.