main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Obi-Wan was for Anakin before he was against him.

In political jargon this makes him a "flip-flopper".

2. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    A few things in "ANH" that bother me are:

a)The Rebels notice that their fighters are being attacked from behind as they're heading for the infamous exhaust port, but they don't change their strategy; they just keep sending 3 fighters in the same formation over and over again!

b)Wedge is a flippin' coward, but gets to come back to applause! He takes a hit and flies off while everybody else, including Biggs, actually sacrificed their lives for the leader so he could make that shot!

Those are a couple that've always bothered me since I first watched it.

Also, in most every movie they seem to forget that space is in 3 dimensions and always head for the one spot the Empire (or Trade Federation) happen to be whenever they leave a planet as if there is no other way to go.

They don't really ruin the movie for me, they're just sumpthin' that makes me go, "Hmmmmmm...?".

3. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Jar Jar Binks comes to mind. If there had been some scene where Anakin was slaughtering the Tusken Raiders and Jar Jar had shown up and got his head cut off on screen I am sure the theater would have cheered!

George Lucas changing the scene in ANH where Han did not shoot Greedo first! That is just horrible and clearly crappy looking!

Luke goes into the 'Cave' on Dagobah and it is clearly a concrete structure. LOOK AT IT! Nice angles and all, NOT created by a swamp!

Stormtrooper armour is totally USELESS! ONE SHOT and they die! Very bad manufacturing, the empire went with the lowest bidder on that one.

TIE FIGHTER pilots being elite?! I think not, once again, bad manufacturing with budget cuts.

A Death Star PACKED with Stormtroopers and 3 people a Wookie and 2 droids just walk out of there. BAD military planning or/and bad floor plan.

I could go on, I'll get back to you.

4. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Although there are a few minor things about the OOT that bother me, my gripes against the SE and PT are much stronger and more numerous. I'll list just a few things here from the SE to start, as I have work to do and I don't want to be in this forum all day.

1) Luke?s scream while letting himself fall in Cloud City(in TESB)

I prefer the original silent fall. It told me that Luke had chosen to fall, as his own death was a better alternative to being captured and turned by Vader. The silent fall meant he was resigned to his fate. Also, when he entered the tube/ tunnel thing at the bottom, it told me that he had seen an opportunity to survive at the last moment, and guided himself into the tube with the Force. That showed strength of character while facing adversity.

With the scream inserted, Luke is shown to be afraid of death, and it appears less obvious that he chose to die on his own accord. And landing in the tube in the bottom seems more accidental. Luke's character is weakened by this.

On a related note, Vader's new "NOOO!" inserted into the Blu-Ray release of ROTJ is equally bad. I don't have a problem with most of the additions to the Blu-Ray, but this one irked me greatly. I won't go inot it more here, as it has been debated ad nauseum recently.

2. Altering the entrance to Mos Eisley (ANH)

The inserted CGI elements do not blend well with the rest of the film, and they draw attention away from the action in the foreground.

3. Reinstating the Jabba the Hutt scene (ANH)

This scene slows the pace, rather than moving the plot forward. Han?s difficulties with and debt to Jabba are perfectly established in the scene with Greedo. The new Jabba scene is nothing more than redundant.

Also, Jabba ends up looking like to much of a "nice guy" in the scene, and he allows Han to (literally) walk all over him. I don't have as muich of a gripe about Boba Fett being there as many others do, but I do find it odd. It makes Fett look more like a 2-bit henchman than a self-employed bounty hunter.

4. Greedo shoots first

The most controversial change to any of the Star Wars films to date. It not only alters a classic scene, but it ruins the establishment of Han?s character. In the OOT, we see that Han is a dangerous and crafty bastard. He takes advantage of Greedo?s monologuing by shooting him dead.

Lucas says that he altered the scene to make Han seem less unscrupulous and more like the hero he would eventually become. Doesn't that ruin the whole concept of character development? Han is supposed to somewhat amoral to start, and then becomes a hero as the story progresses.

5. Replacing Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen

This ruins the image of a trio of venerable old Jedi masters. Rather than the Anakin Skywalker we saw before his death, restored to how he would look if he were healthy, we?re given another image of Hayden Christensen, grinning like a smug bastard.

They didn't even bother to acquire new footage; they just took the head from an early costume test video and superimposed it over Sebastian Shaw. Besides, Hayden's Anakin never even wore that outfit, so the effect makes no sense anyway.

Story wise, Hayden's head dilutes the concept of Anakin?s redemption, as the edited scene implies that only his younger self was considered to be a true Jedi. Well, what about the older Anakin who saved Luke from the Emperor and redeemed himself?

Also, I thought only Luke could see the ghosts, and that their appearance was based on how he had seen Anakin, Obi Wan, and Yoda. Luke had never seen young Anakin before. It makes no sense.

I'll add more about the Prequels later when I have time.

5. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    what irritates me the most...
    1) CG Yoda in II and III. sorry, but he looks terrible to me. to much jar jar in his stride, for lack of a better term. i would buy a cg yoda for the II and III saber scenes. but that is all. should've kept him as a puppet. even frank oz didn't sound 'right' in those movies. listen to him in the other films and you hear the difference in his voice.
    2) the battle droids troopers. their whole speaking style stinks. the look is nice, i will admit. but, as soon as they speak....ugh!!!
    3) general grevious' cough. huh? really? one of the coolest looking charactors in the pt has a throat cold or something.
    4) any changes to han solo in the ot, other then the light correction in the carbon freeze sequence and his new dialog in esb as well on hoth. PLEASE, bring back han shooting first and 'its alright. trust me.' from rotj.
    5) the praxis wave as the death star blows in anh. honestly, i think it is awesome looking in rotj. actually adds to the falcon escaping the explosion.
    6) typing this while watching rotj on blu ray. lol

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    RETURN OF THE JEDI never made it clear how Luke managed to acquire the skills of a fully trained Jedi within a year, while avoiding Yoda during that period.

7. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Was it really only a year? I may need to look at the timeline again. I know 'Shadows of the Empire' addressed this period but that is EU and we will open up a can of snakes if we start thinking in that direction.

Then again, getting ones hand cut off and having a bionic one put on could cause one to think and chill a bit. Plus he had to build a whole new lightsaber, I do not remember seeing that Yoda or Obi-Wan lesson. I guess he could have gone onto a Star Wars version of the internet to get some drawings, find the right crystals, hope not to be spotted by Imperials...

Yeah, how did Luke know to make it green? He could have made it red and screwed the whole thing up! Try explaining that one! He shows up on Jabba's sail barge with a red lightsaber! Who would have called him on it? Han could not see, Lando could have given a crap as well as anyone else.

Vader was the only other to turn it on when they were on Endor. "Luke, you have a red lightsaber." Luke would be like "yeah, that was the only crystal they had." Vader would have laughed as would Palpatine, "Dude! Your lightsaber is RED! You are a sith already!"

"No I'm NOT!" Vader and Palpatine would have been laughing so hard! "Nobody told him did they? The sith have a copyright on that color!"

Pure comedy gold! Family Guy should have put that in!

8. elegos7

elegos7 Jedi Knight

Sep 24, 2004
    I was mostly irritated and disappointed by the fights Darth Sidious makes. It is hardly imaginable he could have slaughtered 2 Jedi masters without their figting back.
    Someone mentioned the new Darth Plagueis book will explain that. I am very curious about it.

His fight with Yoda was also disappointing, he nearly lost. I wonder why Yoda did not attempt to kill the Emperor a second time after Episode III.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It could be that he creates static in their Force connection to some extent, or interferes somewhat with their combat precognition.

This would make a certain amount of sense, given that one of his predecessors in the Banite line displayed a similar ability.

Or maybe the noise he makes is really Force Scream.

10. Claws_Bane

Claws_Bane Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2011
    The romance talk between Padm'e and Anakin on Naboo in Episode II.

11. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Chewy being a wimp.

12. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I liked the ewoks. didn't hate the midichlorians. as a matter of fact it gives it a more science fiction feel. the two things i hated were 1 young Anikin and 2 Jar Jar Binks. Not necessarily in that order.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Ewoks, Anakin blowing the Trade Federation ship by accident, and Obi-Wan's fake beard in some scenes of AotC.

14. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's because it's not there.

16. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Ok cool, thanks.

17. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Because Yoda lost his lightsaber while Sidious tried to electrifry him. Plus, Yoda also lost the element of surprise now that Sidious will be having his clone troops guarding him at all times.

18. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    The thing that makes me mad the most is Lucas making Anakin a eight year old. He was supposed to be a 12 year old but Lucas changed his age to 8 because he felt the scene when Anakin had to leave his mother would be more powerful with a younger kid.

19. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't know if Anakin being twelve would fix everything though. Sometimes I wish Lucas had cast one actor for Anakin in the prequels and released the prequels as the young actor got older instead of 3-year gaps.

20. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The point was that it's no longer a "problem".

22. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Well, it still bugs me. If my wife cheated on me and then apologized for it, it wouldn't make it all better. ;)

23. saq428

saq428 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    Slapstick 3PO in Attack of the Clones" Completely unnecessary. "I'm beside myself"..."This is a drag" Almost as painful as watching Jar Jar.

24. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Amen. Although his lines in the arena in AOTC were somewhat humorous, they didn't seem to fit the feel of the scene for me, nor did they match his character. I found it odd that Threepio would be cracking jokes in that situation.

In fact, one thing (of many ;) ) that bothers me about the prequels is the poor characterization of C-3PO. He does not seem like the same protocol droid as the one in the OT. I don't know if I can fault Anthony Daniels entirely; he was, after all, just using the script that was given to him.

The C-3PO of the OT was:
    -prissy
    -cowardly
    -polite when serving his protocol function, but quick to lash out with sarcasm or a witty retort or insult. See his interactions with Artoo, Han Solo and Chewbacca in the OT for reference (e.g "You overweight blob of grease.", "Only an overgrown mop head like you...", etc.)
    -Although he is cowardly, he is not at all soft spoken, and is unafraid to voice his opinions (e.g. "But sir!", "The odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field...!")

The C-3PO of the PT was:
    -prissy (check)
    -cowardly (check)
    -mostly polite (Um, OK... But where were the sarcastic remarks and witty insults? Oh, I know he called Artoo an "idiot" and Jar Jar "rather odd", but those remarks do not carry the same comedic level of wit)
    -soft voiced, with copious amounts of meek "oh, uh, oh"s thrown in. This Threepio seemed quite unsure of himself at all times. This is where I believe Mr Daniels' performance was a little off.

The PT Threepio was less like OT Threepio and more like Big Bird from Seseme Street.

Threepio is one of my top four or five favorite characters in the OT, but he falls horribly flat in the PT. It's as if he was shoe-horned into the story just for the sake of making an appearance, but they didn't get his character right.

25. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    C3PO must have had a personality change after the memory wipe. Once he forgot his humble origins and thought he'd always served the nobles of the Empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.