main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What powers and roles should the Senate have?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Arapsis, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    In the series.

Just a bunch of yes man for Palps with a few good guys thrown in?

Also it would be nice to see the slow erosion of its powers and authority.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Depends on when it takes place. If it begins within five years of ROTS, then yes...a bunch of "yes men" for Palpatine with very few rogues, and even they appear to be "yes men" while in session.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It'll be a bunch of yes men nobodies

Ani501st likes this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    In ROTS the senate was already doing a fair share of butt kissing. According to what Mon Mothma (or I think it was Mothma) says in a cut scene, it is because the senate knows where the real power lies (Palpatine), and they will do anything to share in it (pretty much agree to anything he says).

I think it's similar to the situation of Louis XIV and the nobility of France, in which the latter would kiss up to him in any way possible in exchange for meager titles or greater standing at Court. I would think that initially - if the show takes place closer to ROTS - that there would be a lot of instances in which the senate is willing to agree to whatever Palpatine wants in exchange for meager favors. The further you get from ROTS though, I think there would be a shift towards people agreeing to whatever Palpatine wants or risk being labeled a traitor, slandered with false accusations of crimes, and then executed.

So for instance maybe something like:

Close to ROTS: In response to rebel cells throughout the Empire, Palpatine calls for the need to allow troops to be moved freely from sector to sector without consulting planetary governors. Those in the senate that agree might see the territories they represent grow, Palpatine might funnel extra credits into their bank accounts, etc.

Closer to the OT: Palpatine has troops moved to a planet to oust rebels there. The populace grows upset and the senator representing that planet protests. Palpatine then has that senator seized, fabricated accusations are made against that senator and the courts (themselves in Palpatine's pocket) swiftly find the senator guilty and have him executed as a traitor to the Empire.

I think it should be a process in which the senate evolves from corrupt and greedy "yes men" into coerced captives that fear for their lives if they go against Palpatine.

Hansa and Paparazzo like this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If they're smart they'll keep the Senate appearances to a minimum. The political episodes of season three caused a significant drop in ratings that never really recovered, despite being followed immediately by the Nightsisters arc, the Mortis arc, the Citadel arc and the Trandoshan two part finale.

6. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    The senators are going to be rubber stamping whatever Palps want so no point in seeing them that often. Maybe Bail sitting in a few events trying to milk some useful information out. Politics will probably more focus on trying to unite disparate rebel groups. Hopefully, they do these scenes better though

7. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    It was probably because the episodes were awful. It felt like they wanted a few episodes with Ahsoka/Padme, but didn't quite know how to do it. I'm sure there are some great writers out there who could do it well (heck, some of the fan episode synopsis' I've seen around the net have done it amazingly for TCW).

Then give her a payrise; you're her boss.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    It won't be a problem if they can reach the level of the DS 9 political episodes.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    UNNNLLLLIMMITED POWWWAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Since, y'know, Palpatine is the Senate...

I'll go away now...

10. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry... Couldn't resist. :p

kubricklynch and Paparazzo like this.
  11. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013

12. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Lol never going to happen.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lets hope that Rebel's maintains TCW's tendacy to expirament rather than always playing it safe so we can continue to see some ambious stuff for better or worse like the Political Episodes, Clonecentric episodes, and Mercy Mission/Nomad Droids. Now TCW did make some duds that way but we also got some great stuff out of that. I would hate it if just because the old Political episodes from season 3 and the poorly recieved season 5 droid episodes Rebels decided never to go down those roads again as folks feared TCW might. I think that's particularly true going into an era like the Dark Times.

14. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    i would had never tought that something as awesome as the Krell tetralogy would happen. Ther is reason for hope.

Paparazzo likes this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Honestly I'd prefer no politics of any quality, as I find pretty much all politics boring. I don't particularly remember the politics from DS9, so I doubt I enjoyed it.

The only show that ever entertained me with politics was Spartacus, and that's only because it featured almost no official, legitimate politics, only highly ambitious behind the scenes extreme Machiavellian plotting and backstabbing.

16. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    We could get some of that in the Empire.

17. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    It depends on if they spread the focus around a lot or not. If they do we might see some empire backstabbing.

Paparazzo likes this.
  18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Infighting within the Empire and what's left of the senate would be entertaining.

19. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    Depends if it will have a Tales aproach or we will havea core group of characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.