main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What prequel references belong in the first trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    None. Frankly, why the hell should the older films be changed to fit in better with a subsequent set of films that were widely regarded as huge disappointments?

2. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Does George's dog poop on your lawn or something?

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

3. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Ah, such a reasoned response...

4. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Because their not, they were highly successful films despite what the cool PT haters would have you believe.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  5. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    I would remake the prequel trilogy to fit better with the OT. For instance, Padme wouldn't die in child birth, she would live long enough for leia to remember her. Yoda would teach Obi Wan from the start. Obi wan would be a precocious boundary pusher. The clone wars would be a war AGAINST clones, not using clones as they were used in AOTC. Anakin would be a great pilot, but we first meet him in his teens.

Bail Organa would actually fight alongside Obi Wan. Most importantly, We'd see Vader hunt own and destroy the jedi knights. Not a montage of everyone but Vader killing them. Non of this is head canon. This was either said by characters or inferred through logic...

Logic? Wrong franchise... ;)

DarthCricketer, 11-4D and Sarge like this.
  6. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016

I'm cool? Awesome!

7. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Financially, sure. But aside from Darth Maul and Jar Jar Binks, nobody remembers any of the prequel characters, whereas everybody remembers It has no iconic memorable lines, à la “May the Force be with you” or “I am your father”.

These films may have made money, but they weren’t very well-liked or regarded. I think, at this point, most people have just sort of erased the prequels from their collective memory, aside from the occasional point of comparison (they were frequently invoked in reviews and discussions of THE HOBBIT films, for example) and snarky quip. If anything, they’ve become culturally synonymous with disappointment (whenever you hear the phrase “another PHANTOM MENACE”, that’s usually presented as if that’s something to avoid).

Here’s an amusing personal anecdote. Earlier this year, I was in a barbershop waiting to get a haircut. One of the guys started talking about THE FORCE AWAKENS, and how he thiught it was the worst STAR WARS film. I said, “At least it’s better than THE PHANTOM MENACE.” His response? “Well, of course, but those don’t count. I was talking about real movies.” In the entire leadup to THE FORCE AWAKENS, I must’ve had dozens of conversations about STAR WARS, often with complete strangers. Every single person agreed on one thing- the prequels were garbage. Half of the people I talked to would’ve been very young children when the prequels came out. Didn’t matter. No one I talked to liked them. Occasionally someone would say, “Well, EPISODE III wasn’t too bad, I guess.” That’s as positive as it ever got.

8. ThisHurricane

Mar 9, 2015
    Kuro You do know that the Prequels are outselling the OT on Netflix right? The thing that is replacing cable in a lot of homes?

The example you gave was just your personal experience. In my High school nobody has ever even seen the OT (may be because they aren't interested in older films) and only knew the Prequels.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  9. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Source.
    And outside of Internet fanboys, I actually have yet to encounter a single person in real life who’s a prequel fan. Here’s the highest praise I’ve ever heard for the prequels off the Internet: “They’re not terrible. Not good, but not terrible.”

The public does not like these movies, and there’s a reason that the Walt Disney Company is basically ignoring them. You’re allowed to like them. Just don’t pretend that they’re these super-popular beloved movies because they’re not. They’re actually quite unpopular.

I’m willing to bet that if you just approached 10 random people, nearly all of them could tell you who Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Darth Vader, C-3PO, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Yoda, and Jabba the Hutt are. How many people really remember, uh, Queen Armadillo or Jedi Master Windex or Count Doodoo? Everyone remembers “May the Force be with you.” Everyone remembers “I am your father.” I can’t name a single iconic memorable line from the prequels (“I don’t like sand” doesn’t count, as that’s become a focal point of derision).

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    10 random people taken from all over the world? I doubt it. Star Wars is cross-cultural - but not necessarily to that extent.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  11. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    My experience is the opposite. I only have one friend who dislikes the prequels, and it's more of a "eh, not for me" type deal. I had many instructors in film school who liked them and often would talk about them in class.

Actually one of my former instructors saw the prequels for the first time as a lead up to TFA and she told me that they fit in neatly with the OT as far as filmmaking method and quality goes, from her observance.

So. What do you make of this? Either you're full of **** or I am. And considering you've apparently made it your life's work to bash these movies, I'm going to say it's you who are full of ****.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

Torib and SW Saga Fan like this.
  12. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015

This. I grew up with the PT, but I myself am not particularly fond of them nowadays. Most people I know feel the same way. Most people have either never seen them, or only saw them when they came out. They didn't leave any sort of lasting impact or legacy. The OT was a phenomenon, but the PT were just movies. People watched them, then forgot about them.

Sarge and DarthCricketer like this.
  13. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    woops double post

14. ThisHurricane

Mar 9, 2015
    Kuro http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-star-wars-movies-ranked-by-rentals.50040339/#post-53522588 Here's the thread it was discussed in.

LucasFilm is actually doing the opposite of ignoring the prequels. They're are prequel stuff in the rebels tv show, comics, video games and even TFA. An Anakin force ghost was a concept for the movie at one point and I hope in one of the upcoming films it's actually used.

Check this out from the TFA game.

Funny you think no one remembers PT characters? You think no one knows Yoda, Chewbacca, Obi Wan, or Maul? I remember in tenth grade my History teacher asked the class if we watched SW. He used the example of how Queen Amidala had people disguised as her and how somebody in real life was doing the same thing. Unfortunately I remember him doing that but can't remember who he said it was irl doing it was lol.

SW Saga Fan and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Saddam used body doubles a lot, before the second Gulf War.

ThisHurricane likes this.
  16. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    So? Still doesn't mean that they're films loved by the general public.

Three of those characters didn't even originate in the PT, so they hardly count.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    The dark power of the internet people! Kuro has perfectly demonstrating how scary and disturbing common thinking on the internet can be... I wonder, have those people all watched the prequels before expressing their opinions? Or are they just parroting what it is said on the internet? Or are you just quoting the opinions that best suit your feelings towards the PT?

People easily forget that the PT has received decent/mixed reviews to very good ones. They were never thought as "garbage" by the public during their first release, and they were warmly welcomed by both the public and the media. Here, take for example those TV reports during the premiere of Revenge of the Sith:

It's just that with each re-releases of the movies, it has become more and more tempting to publish the complaints of the embittered fans and those who didn't like the PT. That disdain and hatred towards the PT was also instigated by the media since the late 2000s since everyone has now access to the internet today... Fortunately, more and more people come up these days and are starting to rethink about the biggest lie that "the prequels are universally hated" and express themselves publicly: https://www.inverse.com/article/19900-defending-the-star-wars-prequels

Deliveranze and Iron_lord like this.
  18. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Who cares what people or critics thought of the PT back when they came out? What matters is what people think of them now. And, while you are right when you say that the public has never thought of the PT as awful movies, most people I know wouldn't call them great movies either. To most people I know, they were just movies. They saw them in the theaters when they came out, then never again. The PT is hardly "universally hated", but to say they are loved is quite an exaggeration as well.

DarthCricketer and theMaestro like this.
  19. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    What people thought in the past is always relevant, whether you accept it or not... Especially in the case when some people take only one part of the opinions (usually the most extreme ones) and make it pass as the "official" statement and "general consensus" today on the mainstream. This is no different from trying to rewrite history or to modify the truth in order to satisfy your personal ego...

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    lol Who here is trying to rewrite history? We're talking about Star Wars for crying out loud, not actual history. And yes, the films were well liked by the general public and critics when they came out, but lots of films were. But, at the end of the day, they were just movies really. They came out, made a ton of money, and people just sorta forgot about them. My family is full of people who like Star Wars (mostly cause I was such a super fan as a kid), but I don't know any of them who are particularly fond of the PT.

21. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    You can't take a personal or particular case and just make a generalization with it...

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a number of paths something "originally well liked by critics and public" can take.

It can remain well known and popular, eventually becoming a classic.
    It can become Deader than Disco and stay that way.
    It can go through the Popularity Polynomial, bouncing from popular to unpopular and back again.

And so forth. I think there's an element of wanting it to become Deader than Disco in the diatribes of the harshest critics of the prequels.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  23. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015

True, but they are far from the only people I know who have this attitude towards the PT. As a matter of fact, I had a teacher in High School who was talking about Star Wars to the class a while ago and I remember him saying something along the lines of "There are two different trilogies, but only one of them is worth watching".

24. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    A blanket statement does not constitute a source. I could just as easily say that the movie WAR ROOM is a universally beloved success because it was No. 1 at the box office on its opening weekend.

And I specifically said prequel characters. You named Yoda, Chewbacca and Obi-Wan Kenobi, all of whom were iconic well before George Lucas finally decided to make the prequels (he’d talked about it since the early 1980s but he didn’t really commit to a prequel trilogy until about 1995). Aside from Darth Maul and Jar Jar Binks, nobody remembers any of the prequel characters. Or let me clarify, nobody remembers any of the prequel-exclusive characters. If you actually look on Google, there are 61× as many results for Darth Vader as there are for Anakin Skywalker. Why is this? Because throughout most of the original trilogy (aka the popular one that people like and remember), he’s called Darth Vader. Ergo, the original trilogy is 61× as popular.

And you wanna know the reason why a Hayden Christensen Force ghost will never be in a STAR WARS movie? Because Disney likes movie, and they’ll lose a vast majority of their audience if people start thinking, “Oh, this is just like the prequels.” Disney has done a very good job of making sure that any and all prequel references are only in places where 5-year-olds will find them. If you wanna buy a T-shirt or a coffee mug, for example, good luck finding one with prequel imagery (and I mean in actual brick and mortar store, not online). You’ll have better luck finding a BIG LEBOWSKI T-shirt. I’m not even kidding. I actually picked up a BIG LEBOWSKI T-shirt from a brick-and-mortar a couple months ago.

Sure, you can find a dozen articles claiming that the prequels are actually underrated works of genius and that the media has tricked the public into not liking them. You can also find just as many articles by flat Earthers who believe that the media has tricked the public into thinking the Earth is round as part of some NASA conspiracy (I know because these flat Earthers spent a month harassing a good friend of mine after he made some snarky comments about flat Earthers back in February). You can find almost anything on the Internet. The fact is that the prequels weren’t very well-liked.

25. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    I sincerely find this anti-PT and anti-Lucas brainwashing to be amazing , especially when a teacher comes at class and says that the PT shouldn't be watched... Yeah, older people are afraid that younger ones like the PT. And how about letting others form their own opinion instead of pushing them into parroting?

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.