main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What Presents Did You Give and Get?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Uhh, yeah... accepting help with a student loan at Christmas from a close family member sure makes me a hypocrite when I criticize a brutal Communist dictator or praise doing honest work for a decent wage.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He's not referring to you.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I don't get the dig at this. What's wrong with Narut getting a Christmas gift in the form of cash towards a student loan? A lot of people receive cash around Christmas. Is the YJCC just that desperate for typical and pitiful e-bullying during the holiday season?

4. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    And harpuah, you were quick to point out my alleged flaws to Narut, but as soon as I defend the gifts I gave (such as the TV to my parents), you have no snippy, condescending remark?

5. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Possibly. If so, they'll learn that I give as good as I get, and then some.

Anyhow, back to Christmas presents, anyone?

6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Christmas is all about giving.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    You shouldn't bother. I mostly only continue to be a member because of the Video Games forum. I can't count how many times people have sent me private messages saying that they understand where I'm coming from but never post such sentiments in a public thread. It's all a fairly sickening e-community, quick to disapprove and judge, and even quicker to insult. But there are a few good apples in the bunch (like Invidious).

8. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Ah. I stick mostly to LACWAC myself, but I won't shy away from the occasional drop-by other places if I like.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I know this is sarcasm, but it's actually how I feel about the holiday season. Christmas is all about giving. And I gave things that I knew would make people happy. Yet the JCC has somehow deemed that inappropriate and worthy of insults and uninvited criticism. Go figure.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Guys, I think this derailment has gone far (too far) enough.

I think most people are just somewhat concerned that you're working 6 days a week to buy Ezio costumes and a Disney House in which your daughter loves to play with the spoon. :p But good luck with the 2nd job, if it has some more opportunity.

Also Eeth-my-Koth I'm pretty sure that just meant you would need to earn 45K less to maintain the same lifestyle in Orlando...so if you had the same salary you would be rich as ****. Not an indication of how much you would earn in the same job.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Marcus is right with that. You have to figure that the cost of living is probably lower here than where you are. Also, the Ezio costume I got on a huge sale and now I have committed myself to being Ezio for every Halloween henceforth. :p

12. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Posting this from my new iPad mini!!!

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm posting from PRENN's iPad mini.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  14. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm posting from my fully function 5 year old laptop!

ma_petite likes this.
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Clothes
    Falling to Earth by Al Worden
    Star Trek: Titan: Fallen Gods
    Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Outcast
    Doctor Who: Series Seven Part 1
    Stargate: Atlantis: Complete Series Boxed Set. :D
    The Dark Knight Rises

16. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Um, not always about you there Valyn.

17. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I got a nice Community t-shirt from Busted Tees, a few books, and some clothes.

I didn't give anything really too exciting - books, some rustic looking light bulbs, and a charm for my mom's bracelet. My nephew loved the micro soccer ball that I have him, though. :cool:

18. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Heh good luck with that. Because of the "no military units" stacking, I've ended up in wars that have lasted over 1,000 years, and I can't bring myself to exit the game while in the middle of a war.

19. Candy_Cane_Lips

Candy_Cane_Lips Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2008
    I gave my brother-in-law 'caution: Zombies' yellow tape and I got an mp3 player that had some credit for two audiobooks.

20. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Money, a new calender, and candy (my father gave me a three-pound box of Betsy Ann chocolates).

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I got an iPhone. It's predominantly handy for being anything newer than my old phone, which I've had since high school, and for functioning better than my old iPod, which was unable to run anything newer than iOS 3. As most of my colleagues have advanced phones, my old cell's inability to receive data texts was interfering with communication, which was an issue. Plus my album artwork actually matches the correct album now - it's a beautiful thing to behold!

I also got some money, Bob Dylan's new album, Russell's Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy, and the complete Danger Man on DVD. Gave my parents and siblings gift cards because [​IMG] and a general lack of guidance from them.

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Got my son a new bike, some legos(Avengers and a speed boat) and a Ipod touch plus a bunch of other stuff. Me and the wife didn't exchange gifts this year. We decided to put that money in our saving for our house fund.

23. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I am definitely considering converting over from Android to Apple. I've had my Samsung Galaxy S 4G for about two years and while it was a lot nicer than the crappy little Nokia I had bought to replace my washing machine-ruined Samsung Eternity, it's got some very annoying quirks. It will randomly crash or freeze or start up apps on its own. It refuses to upload videos to Facebook or Youtube (which sucks big since I recorded my daughter unwrapping and playing with her gifts this morning on it for lack of a better camera within reach), and no computer in my house is able to recognize it via USB connection.

Just such a pain.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I can't compare it to an Android, but it's certainly light years away from my old A707. :p

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Is there some reason you're blaming Android and not the phone?

Lowbacca_1977 and Ender_Sai like this.