main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what really happened to mark hamil?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by skywalkerchic, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skywalkerchic

skywalkerchic Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2004
    I was just wondering what really happened to mark hamil, with his looks in the films. I heard he had a motorcycle wreck and i heard he was doing drugs, ive read quite a few diffrent things anyone know the real story?

2. General_Kor

General_Kor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2004
    He ended up in a car accident sometime between the filming of ANH and TESB and had to have reconstructive surgery on his face.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    He got in a pretty nasty car accident.

4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    However, opinion varies a fair bit about his injuries. I've heard a couple different variations from Hamill himself, among others, and there's also doubt about whether the Wampa attack in ESB was created to 'explain away' Luke's scars. I've heard top-level Lucasfilm people (past and present) differ about this.

The only solid thing is that Hamill's car totally missed a corner and plunged off down a hillside. But like I say, I've heard the injuries described as everything between "nose was off my face" and "just a few scratches".

5. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Did he get in the accident while making "Corvette Summer" with Annie Potts? Weird movie, by the way.

6. skywalkerchic

May 3, 2004
    I read at the mark hamil fan club just now they say it was a car wreck and they say the wampas scene was created, intersting though, if he had stayed so beautiful looking many would prolly refer to the OT as teeny heartthrob movies like the PT. (although i dont think so)
    intersting how lucasfilm ppl never agree hahah!
    although who knows about the details of the wreck i only know that his nose surely took a good wallop! (still cute tho) just for the record!! hehehe

7. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Someone posted a Rolling Stone interview with the cast around the time of ESB's release recently. In that interview the story was that his BMW went off the road just before the release of ANH, so I guess about a year before ESB began filming? At any rate, when the holiday special was filmed he was caked in makeup:
    [image=http://www.thelightsaber.com/HistoryPics2/LukeHolPic.jpg]

8. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Aliens from a galaxy far far away abducted him and inserted probes into his mandible and maxilla. That's what really happened.

Likely.

Possibly.

Maybe.

Probably not.

9. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Well, if you think about it, the Wampa scene did kind of come out of nowhere, and aside from showing us that Luke can levitate small objects, it didn't do much as a plot device. So, I tend to think they thought it up when they heard Mark was going to come back with some unexplained scars. But then, we all like to believe in that kind of Hollywood magic, especially with ESB it seems, so who knows for sure.

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    i heard that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford were hanging out at Mark's house, and Mark's Girlfriend took out a knife and slashed his face. she tried again but Ford pushed him out of the way and took one on the chin, then wrestled it out of her hands.

seriously, i actually heard that.

11. Theory55

Theory55 Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 3, 2004
    That is a funny rendition, but that's not how it happened. But I'm sure you know that

Notice Ford has that scar on his chin in ANH.

12. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    i heard that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford were hanging out at Mark's house, and Mark's Girlfriend took out a knife and slashed his face. she tried again but Ford pushed him out of the way and took one on the chin, then wrestled it out of her hand.

seriously, i actually heard that.

EmpireForever, you nearly made Diet Dr. Pepper shoot out of my nose. I wish it had because now it's worse. It's kind of just percolating in my sinus cavity now. [face_laugh] :mad:

13. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    >>Well, if you think about it, the Wampa scene did kind of come out of nowhere, and aside from showing us that Luke can levitate small objects, it didn't do much as a plot device. So, I tend to think they thought it up when they heard Mark was going to come back with some unexplained scars. But then, we all like to believe in that kind of Hollywood magic, especially with ESB it seems, so who knows for sure.

Weren't the Wampas supposed to be a big part of the first half of ESB? Lot of ideas and scenes got cut b/c the material just wasn't working.

14. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    In an old interview, Mark said he was listening to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture while driving too fast. It was between the time of the first preview screening of Star Wars and the release. George Lucas said he was scheduled for pick-up scenes, but due to the accident, they had to use the preview screening version without the reshoots (or additional scenes). Mark described the injuries as his nose nearly wiped off his face.

Jesse

15. Galahad_Skywalker

Galahad_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2004
    That's funny, because after hearing for years about the severity of his injuries in that car accident, I was reading a recent interview, and he said that those injuries had been over-exaggerated and that they actually just amounted to a broken nose. We'll probably never know the actual truth.

16. Handmaiden-

Handmaiden- Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 30, 2003
    Here's some tidbits I heard about Mark's accident:

It was definitely more than a broken nose; his cheek/side of his face was also messed up pretty badly, and he also had to have a lot of dental work done. In fact, that is how he met his wife, Marilou. She was a hygenist in the dental office he went to.

Lucas went nuts when he heard about Mark's accident and was extremely worried about his actor. Thank goodness Mark ended up ok. :)

17. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Mark Hamil - car accident.
    Luke Skywalker - wampa.

Harrison Ford - motorcycle accident.
    Han Solo - knife wound.
    Indiana Jones - whip wound.

18. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    There has never been online a side by side comparision of Hamill before and after to really see the difference...

Do any of you know of a site that has this?

19. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    Han Solo - knife wound.

there are knives in star wars?

20. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    The Mark Hamill Intimate Portrait (Lifetime Channel)
    covers the accident and his actual injuries pretty well
    I think I recall the program showing photos of him after his surgery with all the stitches and scars still on his face
    so telling by the pictures, he had severe damage to his nose and cheeks mostly
    (It's a great program if you happen to catch a re-run of it)
    I think they did a pretty good job of repairing him
    there are certain scenes in ROTJ I've noticed that he looks a lot more like his ANH face
    maybe in ESB he hadn't had enough time to heal yet, but by the time ROTJ was out he had healed a lot more.
    personally, I like the post-accident Hamill
    I think he looks more mature and less cutesy/boyish which helps play into the story of how Luke matured and had been through a lot since ANH

oh yes, I also heard the wampa scene was to explain the change in his looks, which I think is silly, but hey, it's still a very cool scene so I guess it all worked out for the best (as morbid as that might sound lol)

21. skywalkerchic

May 3, 2004
    That knife weilding story was classic....feels professors pain with the soda!!!
    I'M gonna try and post a before and after pic of mark hamil. OK I'll see what i can find!

22. skywalkerchic

May 3, 2004

cant fgure out how to poast a dang pic lol
    HELP!!!!

23. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    "there are knives in star wars?"

At least there are in AOTC. The clones are grubbin' away in the Kamino Cafeteria using IKEA forks and knives.

24. Attichitcuk

Attichitcuk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 1, 2001
    >>> Harrison Ford - motorcycle accident.
    Han Solo - knife wound.
    Indiana Jones - whip wound. <<<

Jack Trainor - Hit chin on toilet bowl when he passed out during girlfriend's attempt to pierce his ear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.