main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what really nags you when watching epiodes 1-6

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by luvlucas-com, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvlucas-com

luvlucas-com Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2009
    hi,as much as i love star wars there are still afew things that really nag me when watching the OT.
    now these things only nag me because of what has happend before in the PT.

1.obi wan not regonising artoo. obi wan wouldnt of even been on tatooine if it wasnt for artoo the droid has saved obi wans life countless times starting with the blockade at naboo.its easy to say obi wan was just pretending to not know artoo but the truth is when ANH was made lucas never had intended on artoo and obiwan being so close.artoo should of been kept on the sidelines like 3p0 which sad as it would of been because we all like artoo it would of fitted better
    2.your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough. i never seen obi wan and anakin having a chat about the future and toys for the kids.i actualy think obi wan would of left the lightsabre but lucas had to put the shot of him picking it up,because of ANH.
    3.its like something out of a dream,i feel like...ive been here before is what i always thought luke was going to say.this was confirmed when i read a early draft of the ROTS script.but lucas decided to not only not do that but cut degobah altogether.
    4.images really feelings.i know this one has been debated before and is prop my biggest inconsistancy.i acualy wonder if lucas watched the OT before he wrote the script.i dont even try and find some way to make it fit i just accept that lucas had very different ideas when he first thought of the backstory to OT.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Please, please, format your posts to actually be legible. Use proper capitalization, grammar and spelling. It isn't that hard to do, and it makes your posts much easier to read. Maybe you're used to chat rooms where non-capitalization is the way to go, but on a message board, you need to actually type in complete sentences.

3. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    1. Obi-Wan never says that he doesn't recognise R2, just that he does not remember owning a droid, as R2 suggests. The most he does is not mention that he knows R2 in front of Luke, which is understandable since there would scarcely be any point in telling Luke about their past association, especially as he' lying to Luke about the past anyway. Watching the scenes in Obi-Wan's house after the PT, I at least see that he probably does recognise R2. He may not have known straight away, but he does after seeing Leia's message because he then understands where the droid has come from.

2. That's not even an inconsistency. As soon as you found out that Vader was Luke's father it became pretty obvious that what Obi-Wan said to Luke was a lie - especially since Vader apparently had no knowledge of his children. It's unlikely that he ever would have ever told Obi-Wan that he wanted Luke to have the saber. It was always just something Obi-Wan made up as part of his deception that Vader and Anakin were separate people. Technically it could even be true from a certain point of view, although it requires some extrapolation from Obi-Wan. Anakin never did express the wish that Luke should have his saber but Obi-Wan may have assumed it's what the good Anakin would have wanted after his death - ie before he was 'killed' by Vader. So FACPOV what Obi-Wan says is true - "Luke's father" would have wanted him to have the saber, since that is a separate person from the one Kenobi fought on Mustafar.

3. If the script had Luke on Dagobah then it must have been a very early draft. Luke's familiarity with Dagobah was pretty much always down to Yoda's presence there, and the possibility that Luke had sensed certain events in his future, which is why it felt like "somthing out of a dream" - they seemed familiar but he did not understand why.

There's nothing particularly important about Dagobah - it's just the place Yoda goes to hide - which is why it was cut from Ep III. If you were watching the films from the beginning, instead of just knowing that Yoda went to hide somewhere, you'd know that Yoda went to hide on some swampy planet. You don't know that it's Dagobah, which is irrelevant anyway. It's probably better if Yoda goes off somewhere at the end of Ep III and you only find out where that is when Luke does in Ep V.

4. I think it's pretty certain that's Leia's recollection of her mother as certain images and feelings happened as she was growing up on Alderaan because of her latent Force ability. Leia acquired those images and feelings by unconciously seeing elements of the past. She did not know she was Force sensitive and therefore assumed they were just ordinary memories of her mother. Yoda tells Luke that it is possible to see both the future and the past through the Force. Leia unconsiously saw the past, including details about her mother and that is probably due to the circumstances of her adoption - ie Bail Organa was a good friend of Padme's, and that she was a more grounded person than Luke. As discussed in TESB, one of Luke's problems was that he did not concentrate on what he was doing and had a tendency to look away to the future. That is why he never gained any similar insight concerning his mother.

If you think about the role of each twin in the story then it makes sense that their powers would manifest in those ways. Leia had more stability and heritage growing up on Alderaan which befits her destiny of carrying on the leadership of the Rebellion and restoring the Republic. Luke on the other hand always looked to the future because he was destined to create a new Jedi Order.

I don't doubt that if Lucas had planned out all the episodes from the beginning then he may have done it differently. However, I feel that there is nothing wrong with Leia recalling images and feelings concerning Padme. It fits with all the information given in the films, the only problem is that it's not explicitly spelled out.

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Please PM that sort of thing in the future. We discuss the films, not the fans. That includes their grammar on message boards which, at the end of the day, is totally up to them since we don't have any "you must use proper grammar" rules here. Thanks. :)

5. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Exactly. Honestly only #4 bugs me a bit but except for that I

6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Luke's comment need not be specifically about Dagobah. His comment about "something familiar about this place" could also refer to Yoda, who has watched Luke for years from afar, and is in fact watching him from behind at that moment.

7. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    However, I feel that there is nothing wrong with Leia recalling images and feelings concerning Padme. It fits with all the information given in the films, the only problem is that it's not explicitly spelled out.
    Yeah, and it fits in with Lukes "recollection" of Dagobah. It just shows, even with Force endowed individuals, that dreams are unreliable and fuzzy at best.

Leias description of Padme is what Beru would have probably told Luke, so it would just reinforce his idea of his mother.

8. SoonerSean

SoonerSean Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2007
    "What really nags you when watching episodes 1-6"?

Jar Jar in Episodes 1-3.

;)

9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The well-known overall "clash" between trilogies itself.
    I attempt to remedy it by watching THX 1138 between Episodes III and IV

10. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    I've never heard that before. What does it do? Does it help with the story in some way?

11. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    h
    It fills a 20 year time gap with an abstract allegory for the Rebellions first victory against the evil Empire.
    The Orwellian post-catastrophic setting of THX 1138 seems to me appropriate following the creation of the Empire.
    It has nothing to do with Anakin/Vader's story, but it does address the issues of society dehumanizing people. The reason it works between the trilogies so well is because its unmistakably George Lucas in style with the blacks and whitesy, the computer graphics, lived-in Sci-Fi costumes and props (the prequels arguably aren't as big on this as THX and the OT), as well as odd bits of humor that THX and ANH share exclusively. You may remember of the ineptitude of the police in THX when you see the Stormtroopers fumble around the Death Star.

So in short THX 1138 does not "clash" with A New Hope the same way Revenge of the Sith does. It in fact works like a visual prequel of sorts, and succeeds in that respect where the PT did not.

12. -MUSTAFAR-

-MUSTAFAR- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2009
    If I've finished ROTS, I solve the "clash" problem by usually waiting a long period of time before watching ANH.

13. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    *giggle*

14. StampidHD280pro

Jul 28, 2005
    whats funny? the idea, or that i bothered to explain it?[face_worried]

15. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    My apologies. I thought it was intended as tongue-in-cheek. [face_peace]

16. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Other than the often-derided tidbits concentrated within the PT and ROTJ, it's the lack of a wide range of lightsaber colours that really peeves me.

Oh, and the use of the Darth title by anyone other than Vader.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Wicket doesn't get a medal at the end of ROTJ!

18. avatarkenobi

Jan 2, 2010
    In ANH when Obi Wan and Vader are dueling each other and he calls him 'Darth' like a first name, bugs me more than it probably should - even if he didn't want to call him Anakin he should have called him Vader

19. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    The way I've always liked to see that is that Obi-Wan was mocking him. He doesn't want to call him Anakin since, to both of them, Anakin Skywalker has been dead and gone for twenty years, but at the same time he doesn't want to call him Vader. By calling him Darth, which is more of a thing (as a title) than an actual person, he's completely dehumanizing him and making it very clear that Vader is more machine than man. He's a robot, not a person.

20. -MUSTAFAR-

-MUSTAFAR- Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2009
    Yeah, basically saying "If you've seen one "Darth" you've seen them all. You're nothing too special anymore."

21. Brandon Rhea

Jun 26, 2004
    "All you Darths look the same to me." :p

22. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Maybe in the next version, "sleemo" will be substituted for "Darth". [face_laugh]

23. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Agree with you, this one is the most serious, especially with leïa saying that her mother died when she was very young.
    Although many have tried to give an explaination of some sort, and Lucas at the time (ROTJ) had left Luke and leïa's mother's fate rather unresolved, it just doesn't fit. On the more, ROTJ novel clearly states that Anakin's wife did survive and went to Alderaan with leïa, even though it's not mentioned on screen, reinforcing the sensation of a plothole here.

Other things that nags me :

- the Emperor's gruesome face and ridiculous voice in ROTS when saying "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy".
    - Vader's "Nooooooo" in ROTS
    - the Emperor's change of appearance between ESB and ROTJ, as I've always found Palpatine's face in ESB hologram more
    frightening and menacing (I know they used an old woman's face and the eyes of a chimpanzee).

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Still true.

Unless of course we introduce a mysterious energy field which grants fantastic powers.:p

25. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Of course, the Force can solve everything, but I find it a little too easy....:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.