main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What reboot and/or remake would piss you off the most?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Sep 7, 2013.

?

The most annoying reboot or remake would be...

1. The Godfather/The Godfather Part II

11 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Back to the Future trilogy

25 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Citizen Kane

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Metropolis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Network

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ANH/ESB/ROTJ

33 vote(s)
    35.1%
  7. Jaws

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Airplane!

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. OTHER

16 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Somebody really needs to remake "The Towering Inferno."

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Me, I have no problems with this. Like I said, Carpenter gave up on his classic work and is just cashing in the paychecks now.

I utterly love Big Trouble... but all Dwayne needs to do is simply hammer out a tongue in cheek imitation of John Wayne and he's Jack.

The real question is, who would they get to play Lo Pan? (I have a few ideas given some of the Hong Kong martial artists/actors I admire are still active.)

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

JJ, you've got some bad karma to pay off. I'm giving you one chance.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Tilda Swinton?

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Psycho

Oh...

solojones likes this.
  6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    That one episode of the new Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where James Hong is the voice of an ancient Chinese ghost the Turtles battle will probably be a better remake of Big Trouble in Little China than this one.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Why? We don't know a thing about this remake. For all we know it could be a David Lynch movie, co-starring Meryl Streep and Daniel Day Lewis.

8. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't know how I feel about it, because I loved the original for the complete cheese factor the movie provides. That and well James Hong is pretty much the entire movie. Johnson can pull off Jack Burton, and I think you hit it on the head with what he needs to do to sell the part. I think Chow Yun-Fat (who is now listed on IMDB as Yun-Fat Chow?) could possibly do it, but it would be difficult for me not to think of James Hong saying "Indeed" in that high squeaky voice and "This really pisses me off" when I see Lo Pan.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I really don't see a reason to remake Ben Hur.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I can't imagine anyone else as Lo Pan. I can be sold on The Rock as Burton but the rest of the casting...I just don't know.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd be fine with a Potter reboot eventually. The final book came out the year the 5th movie did. I'd like to see a movie series have all of the book details from the get-go unlike what happened with the original movies. Replacing the original actors might be hard in some cases but one Dumbledore, Dobby in more movies, Kreacher with a bigger role and the chance of a more unified story is so much better now imo.

solojones likes this.
  12. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    I think there is a serious problem for male Asian actors in the west that generally they only get cast when someone is needed who can do kung fu. Hollywood should be brimming with Asian character actors, but actually not many spring to mind. I'm familiar with a number of Chinese actors such as Tony Leung and Andy Lau, but I don't really see them in Hollywood films. Are they not fluent in English, or do western studios simply not value them?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, I adore James Hong (he's still doing the Lo Pan dialogs at conventions too.) And if someone can do this and nail the humor, well why not?

I was also thinking of Chow-Yun because of his performance in the Curse of the Golden Flower (his twisted aging Emperor was the highlight of that movie and you could tell he was having fun with the part.) And too, because American audiences are somewhat familiar with him.

That said, Sammo Hung too. The guy can do very over the top comedy and can tap into that cheesy funny no problem. See 1:36 here...
    He can also speak English phonetically if the script requires it (hello Martial Law :)) I'd also vote for Sammo's competitor in that clip, Lau Kar Wing (who plays another great, funny aging master in Cat vs. Rat.) Both of these guys are the right age now too...

but anyway... As a huge fan of the movie, as long as they nail Lo Pan, I'd be happy to see it.

soitscometothis - you're on point with your comment about male Asian actors in the States. I offered up Sammo and Lau Kar Wing because they can act beyond their amazing martial skills and they can do wonky comedy no problem.

As far as current Asian actors, I honestly have no idea whose around in the States besides Mr. Hong.

14. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Master_Lok

Daniel Dae Kim, Steven Yeun, Ian Anthony Dale, Christopher Larkin, Hiroyki Sanada, and the entire cast of the family in Fresh Off the Boat (never watched the show, but it does exist). Those are just the names off the top of my head.

15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    jabberwalkie

Thank you. I do not watch much tv.

I know some of the more mature Hong Kong actors do not speak English. For example, the Bond folks wanted Philip Kwok (Kuo Choi) in a much bigger role in Tomorrow Never Dies; but since he does not speak English he had to pass up the larger part.

As far as Tony Leung and Andy Lau I have no idea if they can speak English. I have a lot to learn about Hong Kong cinema...

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Needs to be in more stuff. He was in that Insurgent movie for about three minutes but I was okay with it because it was him, played it very cold, could maybe do it. He's also in spider-Man 2 with 3 lines and he was on 24 as well.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  17. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    John Cho also. And I think Tim Kang was one of the best things in The Mentalist. However none of these guys have the level of prestige of a Tilda Swinton or even a Benedict Cumberbatch as they are largely known for tv work. Hiroyuki Sanada is great, I'd completely forgotten about him until I saw his name on your list. Now I think he's got a level of prestige, and might well have worked as the Ancient One for Dr Strange.

Anyway, just been reminded they're going to be remaking Rebecca. As it's an adaptation of a book I can see that you can always argue that you can get closer to the source material, but I love the Hitchcock version so much the idea repels me.

18. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I personally think tilda swinton is a tad overrated.

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Speaking of Tilda, I got the joke but I think Lo Pan should remain a 2,000 year old male basket case on wheels rather than a woman. It screws up the whole story if they switch those characters' genders. Or am I overthinking the Tilda comment. :D

Right, John Cho. I keep forgetting his name.

Anyway, there's already an article as to why the Big Trouble remake won't work.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  20. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I don't see the need for another Batman reboot considering we already had one. The Dark Knight trilogy was perfect in almost every regard and I don't see how Zack Snyder's going to top that. If Batman uses a bat credit card to fight Superman in the next movie, I'm out of the theater.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Dark Knight Rises was dreadful.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    err, he is one of the leads in Hawaii 5-0.

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    He'll always be Gavin from Wolfram & Hart to me.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That show is garbage.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Never seen it, but it's quality wasn't the point. Al's complete ignorance was.