main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

1. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I think my comments are more like "eeeeeeks" and "oh nos!" and *gasps*
    These do take place after NJO by about ten years. Though if you want to read them, you should probably read (or at least become familiar with) the end of NJO and the Dark Nest trilogy

2. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    Has anyone else read the Legacy: Broken graphic novel? I just finished it yesterday...I enjoyed it, though it makes me wonder what happens between Legacy of the Force and Legacy... An Emperor Fel who can use the Force? I'm still holding out for Jaina and Jag :) Also, did anyone else find Cade Skywalker a little less than attractive??? :D

3. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    I haven't. Who's publishing it? Dark Horse?

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm still reading Betrayal.... does it get better as it goes on? I'm finding it quite a long read so far.

5. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Well let's just say that Jason let's his inner vision guide him to an extreme conclusion. There is a lot of setup in this episode,(Betrayal). That is the reason for it being so slow.

6. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    K, THX. I'll go on reading then.

7. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    I think so...you should give it a read (it's really quick, I promise)

I just finished Sacrifice...:_| :eek: :_| NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Why did Jacen have to kill Mara??? I was irritated with Jacen before, but now, I'm really not seeing redemption in his future... And Caedus????? Where did they come up with that name????? I was glad to see Lumiya kick the bucket though! And the Boba Fett plot was completely extraneous to the rest of the story! There was no need for it, it was interesting, but barely part of the rest of the story. And the Han/Leia and Jaina/Jag/Zekk plots were missing...probably to make room for Boba... Anyhow, I just feel like giving Jacen a good smack or shot to the head right now.:mad:

Keep reading the Legacy of the Force series, Damian, they get more exciting.

Lol, it seems that (as I see on Amazon) RL Stine, the children's horror author, is writing an upcoming book about Vader...eiyeiyei

8. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    If you recall an earlier conversation between Lumiya and Alema...while they both were building dead- man-switch-vests for themselves before they went into battle with Luke and Mara at the Spacer Lounge, Alema went and asked Lumiya if there were others (Sith that is). Lumiya looked at her very seriously and said that there were certain questions that should not be asked. Now does that clue you in on how long this has been in the making? I think Lumiya really thinks herself as a kind of Martyr for this cause on behalf of the Sith who are hiding out in the Unknown Regions. I also think that there is, as early as this story starts out, a New Dark Academy hidden in the Unknown Regions. There is always the vision that Luke sees of the Hooded Man sitting on a throne laughing at him. That doesn't exactly fit with Jacen either. Rather instead it seems more likely (to me) that it would be he who is actually pulling the strings from outside of the picture. I believe that the plot calls for a Galactic Civil War, just like before in the original story. More atrocities pile up and as a result more laws get passed to counter those atrocities. (Kind of like what you see happening today since 9/11.) Call it Mackiovaylian politics. Thesis, Anti-Thesis, Synthisis. I wouldn't be suprised if someone in the Galactic Alliance was involved besides Lumiya.

9. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    For my (early) [face_clown] [face_chicken] [face_cow] birthday Beth got me a B&N giftcard and I finally bought NJO Force Heretic I & II so now that is what I am reading, then I have Force Heretic III from Kat, then I have the last two NJO books in my bookcase, and by then Brandon will have finished with Swarm Wars and I will be on that series, and FINALLY I will be on the Legacy books!! Hallejulah!!!

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm on page 185 of NJO Force Heretic: Remnant! Finally getting there!! Enjoying the book, having to wait so long to read it is helping me enjoy it more in the slow parts. :)

speaking of books!! Where is Tim??

11. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Well, I'm halfway through "Sacrifice" and have purchased "Inferno". I'm catching up Kathryn. Ya here me breathin down your neck yet? :cool:

12. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    I have now read the comic books up to #15 (the latest) (the GN only goes up to #7). I really wish I had read more EU books, because the revalation that Darth Krayt was A'Sharad Hett didn't really hit me.

13. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    well I am 4 chapters into Darth Bane as I have been very excited to read it I am kinda of unimpressed at how slow the story is moving so far. Granted I now know how to play sabaac (spl) should the need ever to arise I just didnt think it needed to be explained that well....

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am on page 23 of Reunion Force Heretic.. finally getting there!! It is book three of the Force Heretic NJO books!!! So far I don't see what all the fuss was about calling it Force Heretic.. but the books are good.

as for Bane, I enjoyed the lesson on Sabacc it was nice to get an inner knowledge of something so basic to the SWU. Bane will get heavy and crazy as you get into it. I loved that book!!

I cheated and read the last page of Inferno.. Really dumb thing to do.. now I know, but I don't know and I am really confused and frustrated!! I want to get finished with these darn NJO and the Swarm Wars and then get to LEGACY!!!!

15. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Well I knocked out another 10 chapters last night and prob will get another 2-3 tonight. Amber and I finally started work on the garage because it was so beautiful outside this evening. Of course after an hour of organizing and cleaning we were soaked in sweat from the humidity!

16. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    We're all glad to hear about sweat and all...so what do you think of the story and why?:D[face_mischief]

Seriously though, what has Darth Bane done in the story that is so profound to cause you to keep turning those pages, that prevents you from putting that book down so easily? Sabacc rules? I hardly think so. No there's more to this man, isn't there? Ah, but what is it? [face_whistling]

17. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Naughty naughty!

I just read Inferno. It was good, shorter than the other books I think. It was nice to see Seba back in the novels.

I have mixed feelings about the Dark Nest Trilogy. It has important information in it but I wasn't thrilled with it.

18. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Well, Jada I'm hot on your heels. I just finished with "Sacrifice". Alright I admit it. I cried when Mara died and later when Luke found out through Ben that Lumia didn't kill Mara. But that He'd been "duped again" by her minipulations, as he put it. Oh twist the knife! :_| It's no wonder something died within him after that revelation from Ben hit home. Well on to "Inferno".

19. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    You'll enjoy Inferno I think. :)

I'm re-reading Empire Strikes Back for our book club and lol, Yoda is blue! :eek: [face_laugh] Yes, in the book Yoda is described as being blue.

20. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    To answer your question Jon I am not sure why I am finding the story so fascinating but since I heard the book was coming out I have wanted to read it. Possibly it is just simply my "passion and desire"

21. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    10/4 on the "passion and desire". You gotta have that, if your into anything that Rocks Ya. "Sacrifice" definately "Rocked Me". I suppose the same way "Vector Prime" did when I read Chewie's demise. I see a real bonding that could really happen between Han and Luke since Han suffered such a similar blow near the beginning of that Novel, or at least deep compassion from Han towards Luke.

22. JediObiKat

Feb 15, 2006
    I thought the Darth Bane novel was alright. I read it over the summer...actually it's kinda funny. I rented the book from the library, read it, then I got notice that my copy of Sacrifice was finally ready to pick up. So I go to the library, return Darth Bane, and get Sacrifice. As I'm reading Sacrifice, something made me think about the Bane book...my thoughts went something like this, "oh yes, and at the end of Darth Bane, Bane....euh, what did Bane do at the end again? I don't remember... I don't think I finished the book... No, I had fifty pages left!" So I had to go back to the library and get it again. Too excited about Sacrifice, I guess [face_whistling]

23. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I do that all the time, Kat. I'm usually reading about 3 books at a time -- a SW book, a non-fiction book and a non-SW fiction book. ;)

24. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    So in under a week I started and finished Darth Bane and I am really excited to read the next one when it comes out!

I was a little disappointed with how it ended as a matter fact almost every major duel ended very abruptley.

I have some questions though because I was told that Mace Windu invented Vapaad yet they were teaching it at the academy on Korriban.

I think Kas'im when down like a loser and should have at least injured Bane. I also think the whole thought bomb was stupid suddenly 100 jedi and some number of sith just died and thats it? Also I cant believe that Githany died.

Oh and one thing that was specifically said that Revan is in fact male.

25. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    http://boards.theforce.net/tucson_az/b10146/26676090/p2

read the first few posts.