main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm reading LoE right now and just finished the ROTS novel. I'm really liking LoE.

With the ROTS novel it is hard for me to read Stover's writing. I have . . . aesthic issues with it so to speak. [face_not_talking] Meaning, he goes off on stream of consciousness and then straight storytelling and then POV and it really gets [face_hypnotized] after awhile. [face_monkey]

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I have to say the medstar series was a change for me.. It was my first go at a book that dealt with characters other than front burner story line.. so I enjoyed it. but I still had really expected more from Bariss Offee as well.

Still not reading LoE yet.. but planning on it.. just hard with all else there is going right now.

3. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    I picked up a MedStar book and didn't like it. I couldn't read it.

OK, finished LoE and as the kid in The Incredibles said:

The was totally wicked!!!

I give it ]-}]-}]-}]-}]-}

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I miss reading.. have a feeling until late august might not be doing too much of it. However.. I have LoE all lined up for my next read.

5. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    I just found this thread, who knew there was a FanForce group right here in little ole Tucson. Anyway, I just finished reading Truce at Bakura. I know, really old book, but I just got all of the post-ROTJ books at Bookman's before their apparent shortage of SW Books. Back on topic, I really did not like how Tyers wrote the first half of the book, at times I was just like "will this never end!" But then the good stuff came and the book really picked up speed. I really liked how Tyers had the little confrontation between Leia and Anakin's spirit. It really brought to life the fact that Leia hadn't accepted the fact that Vader was her father, even though she never accepts the fact that Vader is her father but that Anakin is.

Right now I am reading X-Wing Rogue Squadron and I am really enjoying it. I plan on reading all of the post-ROTJ books in chronological order.

6. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    timestephens hi there.. hope you plan on joining us.. I just finished bakura a few weeks ago..I liked the confrontation as well.. it dealt with issues that I felt had to be addressed. I look forward to more reading.. maybe start reading with my kids.. out loud. and that would help.

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    is there any book that anyone is currently reading.. are any of us reading the same book right now.. or getting ready to read the same book.. the next one I was planning on buying was outbound flight.. but apparantly there is a new one detailing the rise of vader coming in the fall.. so I will be getting that one as well.. would be great if we could all get one and read it and have that as a future discussion. Just a thought for future gathering.. in addition to game night or movie night.

8. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    cathiecat,

I just finished The Krytos Trap last night. Not sure what to say about the X-Wing series so far. I like the story and how it does not focus on Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, etc. Nice change of pace. I started The Bacta War today and found a bit of humor that clearly defines Stackpole's Arizona roots. On the first page of Chapter 6, Corran, Mirax, and Gavin travel to Tatooine and Corran really hates the heat. Mirax tries to comfort him and says to him at one point: "At least it's a dry heat." I just laughed because this is what I hear whenever someone is talking about this 110+ degree heat. I found that pretty funny.

I plan on finishing this series when Isard is defeated (I think it is this book that it happens because Aaron Allston takes the pen in the next one) and then take a break for Harry Potter on Saturday. After that I will continue to read Star Wars.

BTW, I had a lot of fun yesterday at the meeting.

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ah yes.. harry potter.. that is right.. I forgot that.. my kids and I start reading that on this saturday as well.. then star wars after that once again.

I have not read the x wing series books.. I may have to do that.. one thing we could discuss.. if anyone is for it.. is a book trade off as well.. as long as we are trust-worthy enough to return each others books.. kind of a fun idea.. I have some paperbacks that I might could donate to the group as a whole.. a library for the fan club

10. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Okay, just finished Harry Potter. Now have to digest the ending and find some way to continue living. I cried for the last fifty pages, especially during the last chapter. It was so sad. The next book cannot come soon enough. In a couple of days, will continue my SW reading.

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    due to my not having been able to work this past week I had to forego the HP book.. a friend will loan me her copy when she is done with it.. that might be a few days.. of course I am the spoiler queen .. so I already searched and read all the spoilers on it I could.. that's just the horrid way I am. Makes it easier for me to read if I know what is going to happen.. though all signs point to this book being a major tear jerker no matter how much preparation I give myself for it. No way I will put down this book happy. Kind of like ROTS made me feel.

always harder when something is so good it's wonderful.. and yet depressing and sad and deeply emotionally draining at the same time.

12. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I am just like that too, spoiler freak. Gimme, gimme, gimme. I also looked through the chapters at the little illustrations when I first got the book. I really need to not do this again. The tear jerker part happened in the last paragraph of a chapter and continued into the first couple of paragraphs of the next chapter. Ruined the entire mystery of who dies, but even that did not prepare me for the ending. It was more of a tear jerker than ROTS for me. I cannot wait for the movie version of this book, just for the music during that scene.

13. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Now I'm in the middle of Revenge of the Sith (yes I know, I'm quite behind opn my reading) but I have to stop for the new HP book.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I will thankfully be reading HP within the next few days.. my friend did not make her 24 hour deadline.. but she should make her weekend deadline.. so by tomorrow I should have it in my little paws!!

15. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    All right, it has been a while since anybody posted in this thread. I finished the other day X-Wing Wraith Squadron. It was the worst SW book I have read so far. There were way too many characters introduced and Aaron Allston felt it important to spend about 1/2 the book explaining each and every one. Overall, the book was just a huge drag. I forced myself to read about a chapter a day just to get through it. It was like reading something for school. Remember those times. The X-Wing series was doing so well up until then.

However, Allston's second book Iron Fist is a lot better. I am now halfway through it and am enjoying it. I still plan on reading all of the books in chronological order though.

16. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, the X-Wing series really picked up after that disaster known as Wraith Squadron. Just finished it yesterday, and give it two thumbs up. Aaron Allston slowly incorporated some main characters (Han Solo and Chewie) to ease the reader back into the continuing story of Luke, Han, and Leia. I really liked this. Still going to continue with the rest of the books. Onto Courtship of Princess Leia.

17. Axia_Doneeta

Axia_Doneeta Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Hello, Im from Vegas and was looking around for some active boards and ran across this thread. I just posted a review of a Star Wars book I rather enjoyed.
    Click here.

18. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    :eek:

You didn't like Wraith Squadron? :eek: I was just about to say I just finished WS and I'm reading Iron_Fist again. There teh best! Teh best I tell ya!

Without those books we wouldn't have Lt. Kettch [face_love]

19. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Oh, I loved the Lt. Kettch stuff, especially in Solo Command, after Lara is outed. I just didn't like how Allston dragged WS out and spent WAY too much time explaining his character's backstories. As I said, it felt a little bit like something I would read for school. I still read it and the book had it's moments, but OVERALL, I felt it was the worst SW Book I have read

20. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    You haven't read Children of the Jedi yet have you :p ;)

21. Axia_Doneeta

Jun 8, 2005
    I really enjoyed the whole X-wing series myself. The Crystal Star, now theres a crap book. The author had no feel for Star Wars. Shadows of the Empire I didnt care for either.

22. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    That is exactly how I felt about both those books.

Come to think of it, I really liked "Labryinth of evil" but I don't like the "Revenge of the Sith" novel, I just don't like the writer's style.

23. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I haven't read Children of the Jedi or Crystal Star yet. I read Shadows, and some things that are explained in ROTJ that happen between ESB and ROTJ just clicked for me. I also liked how Shadows opened up Vader and showed him as the tragic hero he truly is. My "award" for worst SW Book may change as I continue reading the series, but as of this moment WS is still the worst SW book I have read.

24. Axia_Doneeta

Jun 8, 2005
    Yeah I didnt care for the Revenge of the Sith book either, I mean I loved all the additional content but the writers style was really jarring.

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    again slow on the uptake.. but just had to say in regards to HP I finally was able to read it.. took me seven long hours.. and I cried for at least the last 100 pages. I am not sure if it was beauty or misfortune that led me to read it the day I said goodbye to the kids.. but I was certainly more emotional than normal.. I am prone to cry for the first week after the kids get back to arkansas. Next book up not sure about.. I have about four SW books in my reading bag.. but several new books are up for grabs as well.. including Eldest. So we shall see what gets my attention first.