main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson What Recent Star Wars Novel Have You Read? What was there about it that you enjoyed?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Vangarian, Nov 27, 2004.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    have not read Dark Nest yet.. I actually stopped reading the post ROTJ books for the past few years.. except for one or two quick reads.. simply so I would not get overwhelmed by all the information.

2. timstephens4

timstephens4 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, I JUST finished 'I,Jedi'. It is a very interesting read. The entire book is written in the first person, from Corran's POV. This is actually the first book I have read that is completely first person. Once I got used to the idea of a first person novel, the story was really good. The first half of the book dealt with a retelling of the Jedi Academy Trilogy, but from Corran's POV. It was very short, and not that interesting having just finished the trilogy. After that, Corran goes on his own adventure and the story follows Michael Stackpole's style of writing a SW book. Starting tomorrow, I am taking a short break from SW and reading 'The Regime'. I have been waiting for this book since June and can't wait to read it. TTFN and happy reading.

3. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Anyone find the new Dark Lord novel on sale anywhere yet?

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    If I remember "I Jedi" was also another story just told from another point of view. I remember REALLY liking that book alot.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Barnes and Noble at broadway and rosemont has it for sure.. they are holding me a copy.

it is a relatively short book.. around 300 pages.. although I hear it is good.. I am also hearing it does not have nearly as much insight into Vader as we were all hoping for. Obviouly the Jedi in it we do not know of as the main ones we saw in the Purge.. either way.. just for the small insights into Vader I am looking forward to this. I just hope it is done right.. I have waited a long time for this book.

6. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, finished 'The Regime' last night. It was a very interesting read. It is part of a prequel trilogy to this series I have been reading for years. The book really sets up some of the characters and shows a lot about the rest of the story. Now, I am reading 'Children of the Jedi', which, if I remember back when I said 'Wraith Squadron', some said that 'Children' was the worst SW Book ever written. Now, I guess, I get to make that judgement for myself.

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Tim.. I finally finished Eldest.. I think it turned out rather great read.. though there were some blah parts through out.. I judge that on if I can't put it down.. there were several times I had to force myself to keep it up.. just too slow and non-interesting in a bit of the middle travels.. but the last 150 pages were all action and information that was a great read.. makes me look forward to the last entry.. guess that's a couple of years off though.

****SPOILER ALERT****

I was absolutely shocked to find Murtagh at the end on Thorn.. I knew someone would betray Eragon.. but throughout the whole book I keep begging please don't let it be Roran that betrays him.. and though I really I did not see how it could be I was so caught up in hoping it would not be Roran that I was very totally unprepared for the shock of finding Murtagh even alive.. let alone a dragonrider and Eragon's brother... the fact that Eragon has a greater destiny makes so much more since now that I know his lineage.. kind of similar to Star Wars in the story line.. the son makes good so the family can be redeemed..then I just have to say.. I found the twins end quite rewarding.. Very shocking and exciting last few pages of story.. and the wrap up made me really excited to see what happens when Roran and Eragon team up and travel together. The fact that Katrina's father did what he did is beyond me.. he is simply a stupid man with no thought of anyone but his own desires.. such a sad existence for his character. Wondering how much a part of things Jeod play in the last book.. I like him as a replacement for Brom.. though the boat trip was over way too quickly.. I wish he had spent more time there. Also.. Eragon will have to resolve Elva's plight eventually.. though I guess that will be one of the last things that happens.. as they have to conquer Galbatorix. Looking forward to all of it.

Anyway.. there is my brief assessment of a really good ride on Eldest.

8. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    YAAAAAAAAY!!! Finally someone that I can discuss the book with. Eldest was defiantely one of those books that you just NEED to discuss. I was like this at the end of Harry Potter. All like, "wow, I need to discuss this book." So much information and revelation that you need to discuss it in order to understand it. This is another reason I think we should start a Book Club. We could all set a book to read, and at predetermined meetings, discuss the book. For long books like Eldest (700 pages, whew), we would discuss chapters. I don't know, just throwing the idea out there. I mean, there is just so much you can discuss in print that a face-to-face discussion is more beneficial. Eldest is one book where I have so much to discuss, but writing it here in the thread would result in word limits to posts, confusion because nobody can help me clarify my points, and nobody can add their input on a point before I make another one. AAGH, I am rambling like a sleep-deprived college student (which I am), must stop.

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I don't know about the group as a whole.. but anytime you want to hang somewhere and talk book.. let me know.. I can get Jake to drive me occasionally for a set up like this.. esp if he gets a breve' out of it, he just can't ferret me around town for hours on end.. though admittedly I tried to get him to do so in the past two weeks.. I needed a reminder that his sleep is more important to our survival than my constant need to be out there and moving about the city. surely once the new year gets here I will have the car back to drive.

10. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Anyone else reading Dark Lord the rise fo Darth Vader, the sequal to revenge of the sith? Ive only just begun, and so fa rit just seems like hes hunting some Jedi, I was hoping it would span more time and show how he got so feared, but Im not done.

11. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I ordered the book but not gotten it yet

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    that book only spans a short time frame.. there will be more books to follow.. to include several years would mean no one else could write about the history.. so they don't tend to do that.

13. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    Actually hal9k1 I'm swomped, but other than that I'm ok. I see you're into my little dicussion topic corner on SW story books and titles. It's actually heart warming to see so many people are taking up an interest on the subject. :D

Vangarian out.

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    My copy of rise lord vader is still at barnes and nobles.. I may give in and buy it.. right now I can get it for all of 16.00 with my card.. while it is on the best sellers list.. I am not supposed to spend the money.. but I want the book anyway.. and I can just skip any other special things this week and be able to afford it.

right now I am reading a kid's book.. the fourth installment of charlie bone

tim.. are you up for a book discussion one day soon of eldest? anyone else up for joining us?

15. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I am up for anytime after Sunday the 18th, later is better. I have finals all week, and I need the weekend to recooperate before I can enter society. I usually start rambling and rocking in a fetal position, sucking my thumb, calling for my mommy, you get the picture. Anytime after that is perfect for me. BTW, I am reading Children of the Jedi and, call me crazy, but I kinda like it. I like the mystery and the intrigue the book has so far (I am about halfway through at the moment).

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay.. so any time after the 18th.. any day is good for me.. has anyone else in the group read Eldest yet.. I am not sure if I have read children of the Jedi or not.. I will look at B & N and see.. if it is there I could pick up a paperback and read it so I can discuss that one as well.. I have also recently read Survivor's Quest.. and figure I will go ahead and get rise lord vader this weekend before it leaves the best sellers list and I miss out on getting it with the big discount.

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    upon looking up children of the Jedi I realize I have read that one.. but long ago.. probably like 1994 - 95 I was reading them just as soon as they came out on the market. I still should really reread it if I am to make comment on it.

18. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Cat- I have quite a few SW books if U want to re-read some, I have no clue why I keep them past reading them. I only keep books that really move me and those are good reads (most of the time) but never much of a keeper among them (other than "I, Jedi").

PS... I ordered those Eldest (dragon conver) books at the same time as the "new" Vader book. I know nothing about them but it came highley recomended. :)

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    you should enjoy Eragon and Eldest.. nice fantasy books.

I would love to borrow some of your star wars books to reread, I need a refresher for sure.

20. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    I am currently reading dark lord rise of darth vader and it is quite fun. Luceno, again, goes through some great detail about the characters feelings.

21. DarthTwiztid

DarthTwiztid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2005
    I am anxiously awaiting Dark Swarm the third dark next book. I have read all the post movie novels as well :p

22. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    I just finished 'Children of the Jedi' and I have to say I was thouroughly dissappointed in the ending. The whole book was a build-up to...nothing. Absolutely nothing. The book started out as a mystery to figure out who the Children were, and at the end of the book, we find out nothing about the Children. The only new information we find out in the book is the inner workings of Palpatine's Court, Leia's schooling, oh, and the fact that there were other Hands of the Emperor besides Mara (not that surprising, Thrawn said the same thing when he was alive). The build-up within the story was good, up until the last hundred pages or so, when I could really tell the author ran out of ideas, and started to write filler stuff until the end to make the book appear larger. Overall, I would say this book was not really worth the read, though it does set up 'Darksaber', which, if I remember was a great book. 'Darksaber' was one of the first SW Books I ever read, more than six years ago. I was so excited about the book coming out just because the title sounded so cool, and then even more excited when I found the book at Bookman's. I cannot wait to start digging into this book.

23. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    are you saying digging into Darksabre again?? lost you at the end there.

24. timstephens4

Jun 10, 2005
    Yes, it has been six years since I read it last, want to read it again. Should go by quick, no school till middle of January, so lots of time to read.

25. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    ooooooHHHHH does this mean you can join us for our gaming planning.. just to hang out and see everyone if not get involved?? We would love to see you in person once again!!